Old 02-04-14, 15:23
Van Man
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Are 2.4d Auto T4's any good?

Hi guys and girls,
I am seeking a little advice with regards to a 1995 2.4d auto Caravelle. Unfortunately last year I had to sell my stunning 1998 2.5tdi T4 to buy a new house. I have missed it greatly and would like to buy another but still don't have a huge amount of cash to blow on a ready done camper. Having said this I would rather do the work myself as before so the van is to my own tastes. I have always liked the modest simple interiors of the old caravelles and I have 2 kids so the factory fitted seats & belts are a massive bonus. I have recently come across a local 1995 2.4d auto Caravelle for sale at what I consider to be a reasonable 2400. The only issue is I don't have a great deal of knowledge with the autos. I know the normally aspirated 2.4 is know as somewhat of a workhorse even if it is a little short on power but have know idea whether there are any common problems with the autos? The mileage is also a little out of my comfort zone at 170000! I would normally decide against purchasing a van like this but it is completely original and desperate to be slammed on some nice new wheels! Any advise or information on these vans would be much appreciated.
Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-14, 15:30
Vans aren't what count here...
I Support Macmillan

Default Re: Are 2.4d Auto T4's any good?

the engine is just about run in.
the gearboxes do need a bigger oil cooler and can be problematic.

just dont expect to get anywhere fast.
Old 02-04-14, 17:12
Lord of the T4s

T4 Post Icon Re: Are 2.4d Auto T4's any good?

I had a 2.4 D Caravelle manual for 10 years and 200k miles. It was a little slow but always up there with the traffic. As an Auto Box in may be a little slower but the engine is a solid lump of VW that never let me down and always started.

If the van looks and sounds good, its just the Auto Box to worry about. Chances are that it will be based on the old style of Auto Box which is at least tried, tested and repairs can be made. The newer 7 speed dual clutch auto box sounds good but you have to wonder about the costs when they go t1ts up.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in