Old 25-02-17, 20:43
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon VAG-Com E bay

I am a T4 Newbie, expect to see loads of Big questions from me. I trained as a vehicle mechanic 70s-90s but have left the trade. I have been having probs with my 2002 2.5 TD 888. We have been experiencing sudden power loss to total cut out. On restarting engine fires for 1 or 2 secs and dies. my brother in law is a self employed veh technician. on on forum I read about Vag-Com diagnostic tool that plugs into a windows lap top. I went looking on E Bay and found the Vag-Com lead and a disc for around 5 !!!!???? Sounds too good to be true. Has anyone bought one of these? Is there a catch? Wondered if you then had to buy software to run diagnostics. I think my van fault is the 109 relay but as the fault is intermittent difficult to say. If you have any experience of this fault please feel free to reply. Thanks Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-02-17, 21:43
Van Guru
I Support CLIC Sargent

Default Re: VAG-Com E bay

Hi, I've bought one of the vag-com leads of ebay, similar price if I remember, about a fiver (check the feedback as there tends to be some dodgy ones around). You can download vcds-lite for free and is pretty useful for scanning for error codes etc, saved me loads of cash over the years and I'm not too mechanically minded but pretty good at figuring things out.

I've swapped the 109 relay on mine, my symptoms were intermittent engine warning lights and limp mode for a few seconds when driving.

Not sure how compatible vcds-lite is with later versions of windows (10 etc) (I'm a software developer so tend to run lots of virtual machines but bear this in mind or get some other views if you are not of a technical mind or have access to older versions). Worth a punt for a couple of quid though and pretty sure you can get it working.
Old 26-02-17, 12:51
Full of Cr*p....
Official MemberVW Transporter

https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1189161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-02-17, 13:15
Van Jedi

i think it is all depend what you want it for.
ive returned 2 from ebay cos both had limited functionality. to erase codes and do minor checks I suppose if you find out good seller you can get away with it, but to risk that in the middle of codding module the non genuine version would freeze and brick the module in the car- i would not risk it. also if you do repairs yourself, the 300 quid genuine version would pay for itself in 2-3 repairs.
at least that was my reasoning to spend my money on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in