Old 24-02-12, 14:47
Lord of the T4s

T4 Post Icon 98 Caravelle now LEZ compliant

In late January I phoned the LEZ people and was told my Caravelle was non compliant, as it did not state the number of seats. They told me that all I had to do was send the log book off with the correct number (in my case, 8 including driver).

Sent log book of and received it back today. Did the LEZ check and it still showed as non compliant. Called LEZ people and they corrected it on the 'phone and are sending me a letter to say it is complaint

No letter from VW required, no pictures required - just sent of the logbook. Surprisingly, the system works

If you've got a non compliant Caravelle, get you log book off to the DVLA with the correct number of seats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-02-12, 16:35
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: 98 Caravelle now LEZ compliant

Hi, I'm interested in this as i own a 93 2.4 caravelle 8 seater ( only have 7 in ) and when i enter the reg into the compliance checker it comes out as non compliant. What is the next stage for me to become compliant, do i just phone them or do i have to fill in any forms. Any info appreciated. Thanks
Old 24-02-12, 17:44
Lord of the T4s

The original post tells you what to do four times. Not sure what else you want

I have highlighted the relevant text, for the benefit of the deaf

Quote:
In late January I phoned the LEZ people and was told my Caravelle was non compliant, as it did not state the number of seats. They told me that all I had to do was send the log book off with the correct number (in my case, 8 including driver).

Sent log book off and received it back today. Did the LEZ check and it still showed as non compliant. Called LEZ people and they corrected it on the 'phone and are sending me a letter to say it is complaint

No letter from VW required, no pictures required - just sent of the logbook. Surprisingly, the system works

If you've got a non compliant Caravelle, get your log book off to the DVLA with the correct number of seats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-02-12, 17:49
Van Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: 98 Caravelle now LEZ compliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by poffer View Post
The original post tells you what to do four times. Not sure what else you want

I have highlighted the relevant text, for the benefit of the deaf
Which DVLA do I send it orf two??

Old 10-06-12, 17:58
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

Poffer, thanks for this

my V5 says Minibus at D.5 - should that be diesel car? can I change that?
S.1 number of seats is blank, so I can fill in section 7, # seats= 8
Old 20-12-13, 13:11
Van Jedi

Wow! Thanks guys - I've just bought a T4 Caravelle 8 seater and never even thought about LEZ compliance.

Having checked and found out that it is non-compliant, I just followed your advice and all is now progressing smoothly. The fly in the ointment was, like in your case, that the V5 didn't show the number of seats! Apparently it is currently listed as a minibus with no seats - surely that makes even less sense than the LEZ in the first place!
Old 20-12-13, 17:51
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

fyi, it was usually a VW commercial dealer that supplied 'velles, & the first registration would be as the spotty oik in the office saw fit to scribble on the documents
Old 20-12-13, 20:19
Van Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by familylugg View Post
Wow! Thanks guys - I've just bought a T4 Caravelle 8 seater and never even thought about LEZ compliance.
i think i asked about this on your welcome thread when i saw your se london location.

does anyone know how many seats it needs to be compliant? i have a lwb one which is registered as motor caravan but its not. we bought it to transport my daughter about in her wheelchair so it has disabled ramp fitted and has a maximum of 5 seats + wheelchair but we normally only have max of 3 in. its not registered disabled as i also use it for windsurfing so would be taking to get free tax.is it worth me contacting the lez people or have i got to change the load weight with it being lwb? i dont particularly want to drive it into london as i drive my car if i go to football, but its a shame my daughter is effectively banned from her countries capital city as no chance of us trying to work out public transport with her.
Old 20-12-13, 20:29
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob13 View Post
i think i asked about this on your welcome thread when i saw your se london location.

does anyone know how many seats it needs to be compliant? i have a lwb one which is registered as motor caravan but its not. we bought it to transport my daughter about in her wheelchair so it has disabled ramp fitted and has a maximum of 5 seats + wheelchair but we normally only have max of 3 in. its not registered disabled as i also use it for windsurfing so would be taking to get free tax.is it worth me contacting the lez people or have i got to change the load weight with it being lwb? i dont particularly want to drive it into london as i drive my car if i go to football, but its a shame my daughter is effectively banned from her countries capital city as no chance of us trying to work out public transport with her.
I would guess the number of seats fitted is less important than wether it was registered as a caravelle originally, though I believe 9 seat versions may fall into the minibus category so possibly an issue?
Most people carriers including the caravelle are often used with less than the original number of seats, so I think it just needs to have the reg doc indicate it to be understood as a car with multiple seats (caravelle) and be built as such when first manufactured.

It's complete piffle really, mine is registered as a saloon car! Still an 2.4 oil burner but the log book keeps the nutters satisfied

Last edited by Zumerset taxi; 20-12-13 at 20:33.
Old 21-12-13, 12:01
Van Master Jedi
I Support CLIC Sargent

I am pretty sure that the drivers seat is disregarded in the evaluation of seats so a Velle with 3 up front and two rows of 3 in the back is an 8 seater and not a 9 seater.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in