Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-13, 11:51
Ainzley91 Ainzley91 is offline
Van Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 129
T4 Post Icon Arghh!!

Really started to hate myself looking for a t4!
Knowing little about vans at the start i was happy with ANY t4.
But now being on the forum a couple months, and looking for a van for even longer than that i have started basically argueing with myself on what engine to get.
People swear by their 1.9td, but then others say the 2.5 is the best.
Then the 2.4 is good.
I understand it all comes down to personal preference..
But with 3k i dont have much to play with?

Im not one to be sitting at -70 on the motorway (but dont do much motorway driving)
Im not one to be racing round but i do like that bit of power their when wanted.
Got a baby due in less than 5 weeks! Itll be a 5-6 seater once completed or brought as need atleast 4 seats! also as i go football so need enough seats like a car. (some weight in the van at times so dont want something struggling)

But their are no decent 2.5s upto 3k-3.5k??
Also cant have too much of a project due to time (work full-time and a baby soon)

Any help/advice anyone as im coming to the end of my tether especially with due date dawning on me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-10-13, 12:04
philip730i philip730i is offline
Van Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Posts: 202
Default Re: Arghh!!

I've recently been in the same situation and feel for you!

What do you want with that budget?

If you want a standard van in the best condition possible for up to 3.5k a little searching will find what you want, if you want a van with all the seats etc you need for that it will be a bit harder.

The more you limit your options the harder a search will be and the less you will find.

I was screwed, I needed LWB, white and LEZ compliant as it goes into London a lot. Massively limited my search, I managed to find one though, 2.5 tdi which fit the bill, usable straight away and easy to do the little bits that it needs as and when I have time/money. Under the budget you are talking about.

Work out what is most important to you, sounds like it isn't the engine but seats etc, go and drive a few then see if you still feel the priorities are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-10-13, 12:32
Ainzley91 Ainzley91 is offline
Van Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 129
Default Re: Arghh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip730i View Post
I've recently been in the same situation and feel for you!

What do you want with that budget?

If you want a standard van in the best condition possible for up to 3.5k a little searching will find what you want, if you want a van with all the seats etc you need for that it will be a bit harder.

The more you limit your options the harder a search will be and the less you will find.

I was screwed, I needed LWB, white and LEZ compliant as it goes into London a lot. Massively limited my search, I managed to find one though, 2.5 tdi which fit the bill, usable straight away and easy to do the little bits that it needs as and when I have time/money. Under the budget you are talking about.

Work out what is most important to you, sounds like it isn't the engine but seats etc, go and drive a few then see if you still feel the priorities are the same.
Ive been and test drove a few.
Nothings as of yet has kicked me in the face,
I think most importantly its the van, condition, how it looks and drives.. the seats are second important but for them ive seen a few on here, and gumtree i could pick up cheap enough to keep me happy and fit myself or i know couple people who could fit for me.
Its just i havnt come across the right van yet! but its really starting to annoy me.
I dont want to travel hundreds of miles to come across a shed!
ive travelled over an hour one way to look at one van (Scratches all over and the side door took about 10 minutes to shut!) and what a waste of trip that was, untill we decided to go to the bullring before coming back just to make the trip somewhat useful (got unborn daughter some nice clothes)

Another van travelled just under an hour, for the van turbo to be whining like mad (im no expert but that dont seem right to me)
So another wasted journey..

Travelled to liecester another time to see a van for it not to have any mot or tax, two flat tyres, and paintwork shabby. The pictures must of been about 2 years old!! what a take that was! the garage owner said he could sort it all if i paid him upfront.. yeh right mate i want to see a van working and test drive it until i part from any cash! surely you want to sell a van you get it good to go? or am i just stupid?
Sorry about the rant, just stressed i guess. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-10-13, 14:13
JIMMYJAMES's Avatar
JIMMYJAMES JIMMYJAMES is offline
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Whissonsett, in sunny Norfolk. (yes there is a place with such a name)
Posts: 11,883
Default Re: Arghh!!

I was the same as you but a part of me wishes i went for a 2.5tdi off the bat, much as i love my van. There are bargains out there bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-10-13, 14:24
uptherighttree's Avatar
uptherighttree uptherighttree is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: South Normanton/ Junction 28 M1
Posts: 266
Default Re: Arghh!!

Was in same boat.

limited budget but needing a family vehicle.

found mine for 3k.

Was panicking a little when the MOT came up a few weeks later but it virtually sailed through (Brakes and two lightbulbs)

Got extra seats for the rear so the mini me can go in the back. sorted.

internally, the vans a mess. Domestic paint everywhere, dirt everywhere, some strange gooey stuff everywhere.

but outside it's in pretty tidy condition. No rust, a few small dents and nicks in the paint but perfectly livable.

so my long winded story is that there is the right van out there, unfortunately you have to look hard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-10-13, 14:41
flo the surfer's Avatar
flo the surfer flo the surfer is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 322
T4 Post Icon Re: Arghh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainzley91 View Post
Really started to hate myself looking for a t4!
Knowing little about vans at the start i was happy with ANY t4.
But now being on the forum a couple months, and looking for a van for even longer than that i have started basically argueing with myself on what engine to get.
People swear by their 1.9td, but then others say the 2.5 is the best.
Then the 2.4 is good.
I understand it all comes down to personal preference..
But with 3k i dont have much to play with?

Im not one to be sitting at -70 on the motorway (but dont do much motorway driving)
Im not one to be racing round but i do like that bit of power their when wanted.
Got a baby due in less than 5 weeks! Itll be a 5-6 seater once completed or brought as need atleast 4 seats! also as i go football so need enough seats like a car. (some weight in the van at times so dont want something struggling)

But their are no decent 2.5s upto 3k-3.5k??
Also cant have too much of a project due to time (work full-time and a baby soon)

Any help/advice anyone as im coming to the end of my tether especially with due date dawning on me!
Sounds like a tyre kicker to me !

Now that Ive got your back up lol I can tell you that they are out there and no doubt what ever option you go for you will grow to love it and hate it !

Ive got a 1.9TDI with intercooler and high flow nozzles (injectors) and I love it! but then again I did when it was a 1.9TD 67bhp
Love It Love It Love It
Good luck with the search dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-10-13, 15:36
Ainzley91 Ainzley91 is offline
Van Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 129
Default Re: Arghh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo the surfer View Post
Sounds like a tyre kicker to me !

Now that Ive got your back up lol I can tell you that they are out there and no doubt what ever option you go for you will grow to love it and hate it !

Ive got a 1.9TDI with intercooler and high flow nozzles (injectors) and I love it! but then again I did when it was a 1.9TD 67bhp
Love It Love It Love It
Good luck with the search dude
Professional tyre kicker! thats how the 2 tyres popped on that van! kicked them far too hard.. instant fail in my eyes!

With the guy above saying he wishes he went 2.5 i think that will be me if i dont get one..

My eyes hurt im looking at screens constantly trying to catch a bargain.
If i get 5 minutes at work free im on my phone, ebay, gumtree, this forum..
and as due dates getting closer im getting more impatiant..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-10-13, 15:38
u can in a van's Avatar
u can in a van u can in a van is offline
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Gosport
Posts: 2,073
Default Re: Arghh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainzley91 View Post
Ive been and test drove a few.
..........

Another van travelled just under an hour, for the van turbo to be whining like mad (im no expert but that dont seem right to me)
So another wasted journey..

Travelled to liecester another time to see a van for it not to have any mot or tax, two flat tyres, and paintwork shabby. The pictures must of been about 2 years old!! what a take that was! the garage owner said he could sort it all if i paid him upfront.. yeh right mate i want to see a van working and test drive it until i part from any cash! surely you want to sell a van you get it good to go? or am i just stupid?
Sorry about the rant, just stressed i guess. Lol
Unfortunately you didn't tell us how much those vans were going for as they may have been a bargain at the 'right price'. I think your chances of getting a scratch free, 'good' van for under 3.5k is somewhere between nil and extremely unlikely! For the money that you are talking about I think that you have to expect to do a reasonable amount of work to get it up to scratch. The sliding door fault may have been a simple lock fault for example. If you look at some of the projects that are being posted on here that will give you a good idea of the current situation concerning price/condition. Failing that, keep on searching you may 'just' get lucky if you are happy to go without a T4 for long enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-10-13, 16:02
pd2h's Avatar
pd2h pd2h is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hereford
Posts: 362
Default Re: Arghh!!

Here's one for very little money, run in mileage and you will have plenty left for the conversion...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...tax/1034699649
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-10-13, 18:22
Ainzley91 Ainzley91 is offline
Van Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 129
Default Re: Arghh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by u can in a van View Post
Unfortunately you didn't tell us how much those vans were going for as they may have been a bargain at the 'right price'. I think your chances of getting a scratch free, 'good' van for under 3.5k is somewhere between nil and extremely unlikely! For the money that you are talking about I think that you have to expect to do a reasonable amount of work to get it up to scratch. The sliding door fault may have been a simple lock fault for example. If you look at some of the projects that are being posted on here that will give you a good idea of the current situation concerning price/condition. Failing that, keep on searching you may 'just' get lucky if you are happy to go without a T4 for long enough
The two pop tyres was a 2.4 wanted 2.8k for it..
The sliding door one was a 2.5 wanted 2.6k i think (put a post on here about it what prople thought and a few replied daying no) the door wouldnt slide at all then when got across wouldnt latch, also had a great dent down the drivers side...
The turno whining was a 1.9 wanted 2.4k... Also he had only had couple months so im guessig he also knew something wasnt right..
I dont expect something immaculate, just something presetable, a standard panel van if miles, service history etc is good im fine with doing a bit of work too it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:10.