Old 04-11-13, 15:48
Van Guru

Default Re: LPG or Diesel choice of vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noo Noo View Post
Unless you live or travel a lot in London...................................
If you mean because of the Low Emission Zone, the 2003 tdi the OP has mentioned is exempt as it is Euro 3 compliant and if you mean the LPG congestion charge exemption, that is also no longer available sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-13, 18:37
Its about time I showed up
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

No one listens to me do they

Old 04-11-13, 20:00
More than a little van obsessed
International CoordinatorI Support Cancer Research UKRegional Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip730i View Post
If you mean because of the Low Emission Zone, the 2003 tdi the OP has mentioned is exempt ....
At the moment

Gucken Gemien In Friesan Grun........ Mit Nieder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-13, 09:25
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahay! View Post
At the moment
All further changes to it in 2015 and beyond were scrapped as it was found 75% of the emission target could be reached by just sorting out buses within the LEZ so should be safe, as long as Ken Livingstone never becomes Mayor again.

The OP may want to apply for MPV/people carrier change with DVLA as he has 6 seats, would exempt him from LEZ if it changed in the future and would allow higher speed limits as classed as a car.

All of course if London was a factor!

Poor Kieran, said it from the start and really nobody did listen to him! We hear you Kieran
Old 05-11-13, 11:14
Serial Poster

yes we should listen to him but not take his word as gospel. You shouldn't take mine as gospel either.

All I'm saying is look at your own particular circumstances, what you want from a van, how you intend to look after it and go from there.

I'll also say that I would prefer a good solid van over the decision of petrol or diesel any day.

I'd also say that servicing costs on diesels are generally higher (the 2.5 tdi) and more difficult to do.

Basically you need to factor everything in both long an short term and make your own decision.

For example Diesel may suit you better. maybe you have a friend who knows how to service them, it's a more solid van and you plan to use the Eurostar often. Or perhaps you have an LPG garage round the corner that sells gas at 65p a litre, love the auto box cruising etc. etc.

Anyway no one has yet given me a good solid reason why an LPG T4 is worse than a diesel one. I'll give you the fitting costs but after that it's for tat and down to your won personal circumstances and preferences.
Old 05-11-13, 12:34
Van Guru

Quote:
yes we should listen to him but not take his word as gospel. You shouldn't take mine as gospel either.

All I'm saying is look at your own particular circumstances, what you want from a van, how you intend to look after it and go from there.

I'll also say that I would prefer a good solid van over the decision of petrol or diesel any day.

I'd also say that servicing costs on diesels are generally higher (the 2.5 tdi) and more difficult to do.

Basically you need to factor everything in both long an short term and make your own decision.

For example Diesel may suit you better. maybe you have a friend who knows how to service them, it's a more solid van and you plan to use the Eurostar often. Or perhaps you have an LPG garage round the corner that sells gas at 65p a litre, love the auto box cruising etc. etc.

Anyway no one has yet given me a good solid reason why an LPG T4 is worse than a diesel one. I'll give you the fitting costs but after that it's for tat and down to your won personal circumstances and preferences.
We're all only expressing our opinions from personal experience which allow the OP to make his own judgement on the subject, hopefully better informed after hearing others opinions based on their own experiences.

simples

Once you have looked at the age/mileage/condition of the van look at the day to day running costs

My experience currently owning both a diesel vehicle and LPG is, as I expressed, ups and downs as I love both. If you ignore the cost of fitting the LPG kit which you need to consider against the initial cost of the van and it's condition the daily running costs are not much different to a diesel van.

The LPG kit requires servicing as often as the vehicle does (which everyone forgets or ignores) which negates any extra cost of servicing a diesel so it's like for like on servicing costs.

MPG of a 2.5 tdi is about 38 mpg at 1.40 a litre, 25 mpg for the 2.5 petrol auto at 70p a litre LPG although possible less as you only get 80% fuel efficiency on LPG compared to fuel.

Over 10k miles at those prices the diesel would be 1657.89 and LPG 1260, saving 397.89 without considering the petrol you need to start and run the van until at operating temperature to switch over.

So 400 saving in 10k miles

OP needs to look at that sort of saving over mileage they do along with all the other pros/cons mentioned, look at condition of the van and the price, cost of the LPG kit and possible resale in the future before making any kind of decision.

As I said, personal opinions based on experiences, my experience is LPG is only worthwhile on extremely powerful and thirsty luxury cars you would not otherwise dream of running but each to their own.
Old 05-11-13, 13:24
Serial Poster

Fair points but not 100% true.

before installing my 20V turbo I ran LPG on a 1.8L carby engine in my van. It was stupid cheap to run on my regular trips from North Wales to Reading and back. It ran 100% gas. Started on it and kept going as long as there was enough in the tank. Running costs were slightly less than diesel and servicing was so easy I did it myself. Plugs, leads, dizzy and even cam belts.

LPG varies considerably in cost. Right now it can be below 70p per litre in the right area.

20% loss may be a bit harsh. 10% yes certainly. I have recorded 10% loss in power on a rolling road on my current set up.

Again servicing costs are something I don't agree with. LPG servicing is basically clean out the filters. Job done. A cam belt change on a 2.5tdi is far more scary and costly. A cam belt change on a 2.0L petrol can be done on the drive with one wheel removed and no special tools, computer hook ups etc.

As we agree it comes down to personal preferences and circumstances because my experience of LPG in a T4 tells me it shouldn't be completely discounted without some thought first.
Old 05-11-13, 16:42
Serial Poster

Quote:
Again servicing costs are something I don't agree with. LPG servicing is basically clean out the filters. Job done. .
Agreed. LPG filters are 5/each and take seconds to change.

My biggest issue with LPG is the one thats so often ignored - range. I get 250miles to a tank, which is enough to drive to cornwall/west wales, and then drive around for a bit. But not enough to drive home too. Unfortunately there arent many LPG stations around aberystwth or bude, so the running costs rocket up. I calculated that if I were to run down to Biaritz to meet up with the lads, I'd have to fill up 3 times on the way!

When considering the pros/cons of LPG/Diesel, purchase price of the van should be considered, 2.5TDIs are significantly more expensive than 2.5 petrol so a buyer could feasibly buy a petrol van and convert it to LPG for a fair bit less than the cost of the equivilant 2.5tdi. But this is obviously going OT, apologies to the OP.
Old 05-11-13, 17:05
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

then there is them naff auto boxes..that often break down,,,and return poor mpg,,but i wont mention that

Dirty diesel and run on veg gets my vote
Old 07-11-13, 00:11
More than a little van obsessed
International CoordinatorI Support Cancer Research UKRegional Coordinator

You make a good point d-9. On my runs down to the Med I do spend a bit too much time in French and Italian service stations

One plus point that hasn't been mentioned though is the lower emissions created by running LPG

Gucken Gemien In Friesan Grun........ Mit Nieder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in