Old 24-02-14, 23:33
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: Got me thinking maybe even worrying.

if i see a nice t4, im gonna ask about it, would consider going to someone's door if it looked neglected and i could maybe buy it on the cheap, i know there is people in the car trade/ scrap trade that just drive about looking for something that just sits on a driveway and they could maybe earn on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-02-14, 00:54
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black T4 2.5 TDI View Post
A Tracker could be a good idea.

Have been thinking of having CCTV fitted to our property for a while now but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Thanks
I've just got round to putting up CCTV cameras after years of dithering. The most difficult bit was crawling through the eaves to pull the cables through. Simple stuff really. I should have done it ages ago.
Old 25-02-14, 09:37
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

I'd get on screwfix and get a clutch-claw, then I would take the steering wheel off and lastly I would put an old chip tray with some engine oil in it under the front, to give the appearance of the engine bleeding...
That should do it buh
+1 for for the ground anchor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-02-14, 10:09
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC Sargent

Not sure about the Ground Anchor thing, a) you could hop in the van in a hurry one day and drive off forgetting a sturdy part of the van is chained to the drive or b) the thieves could attempt whinching it on to a trailer/flatbed with out realising, either wouldn't do the van much good!

The wheel clamp is the best bet, the only thing that will stop it being dragged off the drive, all the time it's on there.

Nothing will stop a dermined thief, it becomes a challenge. I read about a car with 2 alarms, 3 immobilers and chained to the drive going missing once!!

CCTV, so you can replay the footage of the last seconds of your van? Will the police really do anything with it? Will the thieves van/truck have traceable numberplates ... ?

Last edited by onemanandhisdog; 25-02-14 at 10:11.
Old 25-02-14, 10:34
Van Jedi

Yeah a bit worrying definitely take precautions but then again if you wanted to steal someones van would you knock on the door and ask to buy it and show your face! I had pikeys allways trying to buy my old transit they would allways insist i took there number if i changed my mind tho but never cane to my door
Old 25-02-14, 11:20
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Got me thinking maybe even worrying.

Quote:
im i the only person that thinks this thread is a bit racist? if it was a guy in a white transit with a Leamington Spa accent that turned up at your door, would you be equally worried?

Personally I would be just as worried whoever came knocking on my door uninvited, asking to buy my T4, even more so if they were wearing a suit.

I have read a few cases of T4's being stolen and then " allegedly " shipped off to Ireland and that also started the alarm bells ringing.

Thanks
Old 25-02-14, 11:21
Van Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulsy View Post
im i the only person that thinks this thread is a bit racist? if it was a guy in a white transit with a Leamington Spa accent that turned up at your door, would you be equally worried?
It`s not racist, it`s just a fact of life, I live in Northern Ireland and have a workshop just over the border in Donegal. White Transit and a certain type of Irish accent( travellers accent is quite distinct) is 9 times out of ten a thieving hewer. The farmers and locals out in the country round me have their hearts broke on a regular basis. The cold call is their modus operandi, lucky you where at home mate.
Old 25-02-14, 11:28
Van Master Jedi

As well as all these extra security measures, if you haven't already, get an agreed value for your bus with your insurers. Very important if you suffer a total loss of your vehicle, At the moment I have an 11k agreed value with Adrian Flux, they have to agreed to it and it costs an extra 15 on your policy but well worth it, the agreed value lasts 2 years, then they review it again and you have to re-submit up to date photos and all receipts/invoices of works done to your bus ..
Old 26-02-14, 12:57
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Got me thinking maybe even worrying.

Update.

The heavy duty wheel clamp arrived earlier and is now fitted to the front offside wheel.

Hopefully this along with the Disklok on the steering wheel will act as a good enough deterrent.

Back to work ( a little less worried about my T4 being stolen off the driveway tonight ).

To anyone who has recently sent PM's, apologies but my 10 message allowance was exceeded but is now clear.

Thank You
Old 26-02-14, 13:05
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulsy View Post
Nope, not in the least bit rascist, it is merely a reflection of what actually does happen! They turned up at my place in the middle of nowhere and whilst one was talking to me (trying to sell me an illegal service!) the other was clearly taking a look see to see what was around. I have taken my security very seriously since then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in