Old 26-03-14, 23:00
Van Man

T4 Post Icon Newbie: About to buy our first T4

Hello

After a huge nightmare with a dodgy Mazda Bongo, we have decided to look for a VW caravelle. We need something to tow our caravan for holidays and fit me, hubby plus 4 kids in for every day.

We have found a 2002 T4 Caravelle, 2.5 tdi Auto, 107,000 miles, 1 owner from new and full VW service history for 7000 that, after much reading on here, we think we are going to get.

We were toying with whether to get a T4 a T5, but only have around 7-8k to spend and think we might be better with a well maintained lower mileage T4. Hoping to love and look after it and keep it for years and years!

Doing lots of reading on here and trying to work out what we'll be able to do with seats etc, not sure if we can make one of the bench seats rear facing or not because it doesn't seem to have tracks like the T5's do. It's a minefield learning about them, but sure we'll get there.

The car is quite a way from us so having to take a bit of punt and get it delivered, wish us luck and tell us we won't regret it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-14, 09:08
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Newbie: About to buy our first T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazandlaurenne View Post
Hello

After a huge nightmare with a dodgy Mazda Bongo, we have decided to look for a VW caravelle. We need something to tow our caravan for holidays and fit me, hubby plus 4 kids in for every day.

We have found a 2002 T4 Caravelle, 2.5 tdi Auto, 107,000 miles, 1 owner from new and full VW service history for 7000 that, after much reading on here, we think we are going to get.

We were toying with whether to get a T4 a T5, but only have around 7-8k to spend and think we might be better with a well maintained lower mileage T4. Hoping to love and look after it and keep it for years and years!

Doing lots of reading on here and trying to work out what we'll be able to do with seats etc, not sure if we can make one of the bench seats rear facing or not because it doesn't seem to have tracks like the T5's do. It's a minefield learning about them, but sure we'll get there.

The car is quite a way from us so having to take a bit of punt and get it delivered, wish us luck and tell us we won't regret it!
you go for it guys sounds like a good un just give it a good once over before you comitt to it and dont look to enthusiastic and do a bit of haggling , dont ask you dont get good luck and let us all know what you pay for it if you do go for it i know you say its quite a way to go to see it but just make a day of it
Old 27-03-14, 09:44
Van Guru

Default Re: Newbie: About to buy our first T4

Good luck!

Just be absolutely sure you can get the van seating how you want it within an acceptable budget, or you will perhaps regret your choice later! There are options for putting T5 rails in, unwin and koller systems, but none of them particularly cheap.

I bought my van as it ticked MOST of my boxes, didn't really think too much about the rear seat bed, but I'm now looking at ~2k to get it how I need it (kids, flexibility, load space etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-14, 11:13
Van Man

I imagine the standard Caravalle seating should do us most of the time. With the rails it was only really so we could shift both bench seats forwards and have a bigger boot when there's only a few people in, or only the kids in and they don't need much leg room. I'm not sure if the T4 seats move at all as is. I think we'll be able to deal with it though if not, the boot looks roomy enough.

I suppose that whilst it can get costly, it's great how flexible they are with what you can do with them!

With having a caravan I don't imagine we'll be using it to sleep in, although I love some of the campers I've seen on here! Just probably a bit impractical for us with 2 in baby car seats at the moment and plans for more children. When all our kids are older and it's just me and hubs I already have plans for how we'll one as a camper (my oldest is 2 haha so might be a while though haha!)
Old 27-03-14, 11:16
Van Jedi

Sounds like a great van, go for it. You'll never regret it.
As you already know the different options are endless.

The people on here are really honest and helpfull too, so your never far away from good advice.

good luck and don't forget to post up the piccies when you've got the van
Old 27-03-14, 11:19
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffbrown View Post
you go for it guys sounds like a good un just give it a good once over before you comitt to it and dont look to enthusiastic and do a bit of haggling , dont ask you dont get good luck and let us all know what you pay for it if you do go for it i know you say its quite a way to go to see it but just make a day of it
We've ordered it this morning! I had knocked them down to 7k from 7500 and got a few things thrown in and delivery of it 80 miles.

I couldn't go and see it with having 2 kids under 2 and the fact we'd have needed to get the train there then have no car seats to get back if we had it - so bit of a gamble, but a reputable dealers who have given me loads of info / pictures of it and it looks and sounds a really good well looked after van!

Hopefully be delivered next week, v excited now and planning what we can do to it. This sites going to cost us a fortune I can tell
Old 28-03-14, 08:56
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Newbie: About to buy our first T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazandlaurenne View Post
We've ordered it this morning! I had knocked them down to 7k from 7500 and got a few things thrown in and delivery of it 80 miles.

I couldn't go and see it with having 2 kids under 2 and the fact we'd have needed to get the train there then have no car seats to get back if we had it - so bit of a gamble, but a reputable dealers who have given me loads of info / pictures of it and it looks and sounds a really good well looked after van!

Hopefully be delivered next week, v excited now and planning what we can do to it. This sites going to cost us a fortune I can tell
once you start buying shinnie bits for it and more you cant stop its what can i do next to her ect ect have fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in