Old 17-04-14, 22:21
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Van won't start. Strange one. 1.9TD

Ok here's the thing. My van is refusing to start, it's a 1.9TD 1998 138k. It's only a weekend driver and is usually very reliable. For the last tankful I have been using biodiesel. I drove it to Abersoch and back for a surf and it ran like a dream, changed fuel filter when I got back as my old one was knackered anyway. I left it stood for a week and it fired straight away. Drove it for MOT last friday and it was absolutely fine. It failed MOT on minor things, so I've been working on these this week on the evenings. I took my front drivers side tyre in for a replacement due to pucture, but as it's not my daily drive I put the spare on and dropped the wheel off at the garage. I came to put it back on the other night and it wouldn't fire in order to move the van to level ground in order to jack it up.

My battery is a little weak but normally starts first crank. I put the battery on charge overnight last night and came to it this evening, no joy. It turns over fine and goes to fire occasionally and is smoking from the exhaust and engine bay. I am a little low on fuel ie light on, but drove van home and didn't run out of fuel so shouldn't need bleeding or anything. My driveway is a steep incline so I thought I may be low, there is fuel in the filter as I've had it off. I put a 5 litre can of Derv in to see if it made any difference, but still nothing. The only other jobs I've been doing on it are repairs to sidelights, finding a reverse light fault that blows fuses (dodgy tow bar wiring from back lights and I've relocated horn to engine bay.

Anybody any ideas? I know it points to the fuel but previous owner ran Veg, I am reluctant to do this so went for properly manufactured bio diesel from a reputable supplier. I see people filling up new golfs and mercs there etc. Could possibly be filter blockage as my replacement was probably premature, but surely this would be symptomatic whilst driving and not while occur whilst stood? I've had the filter off and seems clean looking through the top and the fuel seems clean that drips out from it. Could it be injectors or glow plugs? Any obvious checks for this?

Normally runs like a dream this van. grrr had a bad day, flooded my kitchen also as left tap running whilst filling the bowl for the dishes as head full of van faults! Mrs is gonna go mad, may have damaged flooring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-04-14, 08:38
Lord of the T4s
I Support Macmillan

Default Re: Van won't start. Strange one. 1.9TD

If they're is smoke from the exhaust, it points to glow plugs to me (or a glow plug wiring issue) mine suddenly gave up last week when I was away in Poole on holiday. Hasn't had a problem all winter then suddenly nothing! Changed all 5 and starts a dream.
Hope it's of some help! Stu

'95 T4 2.4D - Gone, '97 T4 1.9TD - Gone
97' T4 2.4 lwb Velle - here to stay
Old 18-04-14, 10:14
Van Guru

Thanks Stu, I'll have a look in to it. Wouldn't you expect it would be ok in this weather though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-04-14, 10:18
Lord of the T4s
I Support Macmillan

That's what I thought, it wasn't exactly a cold morning when mine gave up. A small squirt of easy start got mine going straight away, might be worth trying that straight into the air filter. A very small squirt though and that should tell one way or another.

Old 18-04-14, 10:26
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottobedonesurely View Post
That's what I thought, it wasn't exactly a cold morning when mine gave up. A small squirt of easy start got mine going straight away, might be worth trying that straight into the air filter. A very small squirt though and that should tell one way or another.
Last thing I would use is easy start
Old 18-04-14, 11:13
Lord of the T4s
I Support Macmillan

It did the job, AA bloke gave a small squirt otherwise it would still be on the campsite now! Wouldn't make a habit of using it though!

Old 18-04-14, 15:59
Van Jedi
I Support CLIC Sargent

T4 Post Icon Re: Van won't start. Strange one. 1.9TD

Try changing your glow plug relay,front R/H corner of your relay board, could be numbered, 102/103/104,regards bighook
Old 19-04-14, 09:10
Van Guru

I know my glow plugs don't work and it also has a problem starting when low on fuel, but if I keep cranking the oil light comes on then eventually it will start. Mine is a 2.5 though. Maybe keep trying to crank it. It takes longer than I would usually crank a car but eventually starts. Some one said it was to do with starting from compression? It kicks a load of out the back once it does start. This only happens when it's under 1/4 tank of fuel in it. When I fill it up it does the same on its first start then it's fine. So I try and keep it topped up until I can fix it. Issues are with the glow plug wiring and also the fuel pick up pike cracked.
Old 19-04-14, 17:51
Van Guru

I've not looked at it in the last couple of days. I ran away from my woes and went surfing! I'm gonna have a look at it tomorrow/Mon. I've cranked it loads and it won't go, so worried about burning the starter now. If its smoking, does that mean its getting fuel, or could the filter be blocked? Is there a way to check the filter? Surely the bio hasn't killed it?
Old 19-04-14, 17:58
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaGUL View Post
I've not looked at it in the last couple of days. I ran away from my woes and went surfing! I'm gonna have a look at it tomorrow/Mon. I've cranked it loads and it won't go, so worried about burning the starter now. If its smoking, does that mean its getting fuel, or could the filter be blocked? Is there a way to check the filter? Surely the bio hasn't killed it?
Get a mate to give you a tow start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in