Old 11-02-13, 10:28
Van Rookie

Default Re: Can all 1.9 tdi converts put.................

hi all new to the t4 side off vws just bought a nice van with engine knock read loads late in to last nigh on how to convert to tdi great posts fellas thanks for the just need two things to settle the nut lol transponder imob is this affected buy the conversion and the gear box im gessin will just bolt straight on if you could help it would be great cheer t4 buddies sorry for the spellin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-13, 12:35
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadub View Post
hi all new to the t4 side off vws just bought a nice van with engine knock read loads late in to last nigh on how to convert to tdi great posts fellas thanks for the just need two things to settle the nut lol transponder imob is this affected buy the conversion and the gear box im gessin will just bolt straight on if you could help it would be great cheer t4 buddies sorry for the spellin
you use the g/box you have in the van, and you use the immobiliser from the donor vehicle (box, ring thing from around the ignition key and the chip from the donor vehicle key).

The is an imobilser guide in the technical section that covers this in more detail and has some nice pictures too.

when you do the swap, make sure that you do a build thread, we like build threads!
Old 26-04-13, 19:05
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Hi everyone, I don't think my engine is long for this world & thinking of doing the tdi conversation, I just don't have the time or the space to do it myself. I know of the guy in Cornwall who could do it, is there anyone else out there, someone mentioned someone in Telford?

Any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-05-13, 17:29
Van Jedi

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but thought I'd ask a simple if not slightly stupid question.
I got my conversion from a 2.4 to 1.9tdi with the help of a donor 1.9td van completed at the end of last year however I haven't yet changed the oil.
What oil should I use? Oil that's meant for a 1.9td T4 engine or oil that's meant for a 1.9tdi mk3 golf engine?
Also as I will be topping it up with a different brand do I need to do a smplete oil change?

Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid/obvious question
thx D
Old 10-06-13, 21:17
Van Guru

Hi all I have tried to look this up to make sure it's not been asked but not much luck.

Going to do a 1.9 tdi conversion, looking at engines & stuff got an offer of either a vw polo tdi or seat Ibiza tdi both have AHU engine codes. Are these ok to use and are they the same as golf as in turbo & block?
Old 11-06-13, 09:20
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but thought I'd ask a simple if not slightly stupid question.
I got my conversion from a 2.4 to 1.9tdi with the help of a donor 1.9td van completed at the end of last year however I haven't yet changed the oil.
What oil should I use? Oil that's meant for a 1.9td T4 engine or oil that's meant for a 1.9tdi mk3 golf engine?
Also as I will be topping it up with a different brand do I need to do a smplete oil change?

Sorry if this is an incredibly stupid/obvious question
thx D
Give the service dept the reg of your donor car and they will give you the correct oil! Think it's the same as the van anyway
Old 11-06-13, 22:40
Van Jedi

A Chap down by me dose the TDi conversion for £1250 supply and fit, top bloke too good head on him
Old 11-06-13, 23:33
Van Guru

Do you know his details?
Old 06-10-13, 13:41
Van Pro

Hi all,

thanks to the massive efforts of other members on this forum, (too many to mention by name) I have finally managed to complete my transplant, AAB to AHU, complete with VR6 clutch, AHU intake manifold, EGR blanking, Transit FM intercooler and fifth gear swap to 0.71.

Was it worth it? Hell yeah.

I changed all the suspension joints and shocks/bushes while it was off the road, so when I test drove, it was like a new van, I am now baffled as to why VW didn't do this themselves, may have had a very negaive effect on T5 sales. I have been asked twice in the last month to sell, offered good twine too.
My response is It can be "wrenced from my cold dead hand".

So what's it like?

Lighter, tighter, stronger, faster and cheaper to run. I have 2000 miles up on mine already, I drive it everywhere, and am getting over 40 mpg with a heavy right foot. I swear I have driven plenty of good cars that don't feel anywhere near as nice to drive. Suffice to say, if you own a T4, put a 1.9 TDI in it, in my opinion it's even better than a 2.5 TDI. (My previous van was a 102 BHP 2.5 Syncro)

I would like to give a big thankyou to all those who contribute here and in particular to PENBRYN for convincing me to go for TDI instead of M-TDI. It really is a plug and play swap, trust me.

First in Ireland? Not that it matters.

Thanks all

Steve

A very very happy T4 Owner.
Old 06-10-13, 14:25
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Location: Whissonsett, in sunny Norfolk. (yes there is a place with such a name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveog View Post
Hi all,

thanks to the massive efforts of other members on this forum, (too many to mention by name) I have finally managed to complete my transplant, AAB to AHU, complete with VR6 clutch, AHU intake manifold, EGR blanking, Transit FM intercooler and fifth gear swap to 0.71.

Was it worth it? Hell yeah.

I changed all the suspension joints and shocks/bushes while it was off the road, so when I test drove, it was like a new van, I am now baffled as to why VW didn't do this themselves, may have had a very negaive effect on T5 sales. I have been asked twice in the last month to sell, offered good twine too.
My response is It can be "wrenced from my cold dead hand".

So what's it like?

Lighter, tighter, stronger, faster and cheaper to run. I have 2000 miles up on mine already, I drive it everywhere, and am getting over 40 mpg with a heavy right foot. I swear I have driven plenty of good cars that don't feel anywhere near as nice to drive. Suffice to say, if you own a T4, put a 1.9 TDI in it, in my opinion it's even better than a 2.5 TDI. (My previous van was a 102 BHP 2.5 Syncro)

I would like to give a big thankyou to all those who contribute here and in particular to PENBRYN for convincing me to go for TDI instead of M-TDI. It really is a plug and play swap, trust me.

First in Ireland? Not that it matters.

Thanks all

Steve

A very very happy T4 Owner.
I think we all share your sentiments bud, loving mine too after 3 or more years of running it. Mines long in the tooth now with over 230k on the clock but once all the hard work is done there are plenty of cheap engines with lower miles to swap it with. Niall has been a massive help to all of us, as has Aggie for starting the trend in the first place, hats off to them both

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in