Old 17-10-11, 11:55  
How to - Repair Blower Resistor Pack
chudsy chudsy is offline 17-10-11, 11:55

Hi All,
Firstly I'll say that I can't take credit for this as I read it somewhere else but can't find the link anymore so I took my own piccies to share with you.
Also, don't do it if you think your van will go up in flames - mines fine but I'm not responsible if yours does as these components get hot really quick so be careful.
Pic 1 - The offending Article

Pic 2 - Replacement fuse from Maplins - less than a quid. I plunged in and ordered a 184C one but the one that came out was 216C (Maplins do a 216 as well) part numbers for the thermal fuses is RA19. The 184C has lasted fine so far. Simply nip off the old one making a note of the pointy end direction and file off any bits left on the legs.

Pic 3 - Next, get the insert from a small block connector and carefully cut in half.

Pic 4 - The two halves of the connector block should now fit nicely here:-

Pic 5 - All the bits ready to go together with the resistor legs bent and trimmed.

Pic 6 - Finished article. Soldering the fuse could be attempted but you'd have to use a high temp solder (silver) which could fry the thermal resistor during the process or you could dripping a blob of solder into the connector block for a better connection.

Save a fair few s and can easily swap the thermal resistor at a later date if it all goes wrong again.
Cheers
Paul.

Last edited by chudsy; 22-02-12 at 11:23..
chudsy
Van Guru
Views: 36255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Re: How to - Repair Blower Resistor Pack
26-05-16, 21:00 #31
ndthatsme
Van Rookie

Hi guys, if you watch the first 4 minutes of this video, it shows how to get to the resistor pack. It's a LHD but should be virtually the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkLTNRVX1KQ

Sorry if the link doesn't work but just copy/paste it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: How to - Repair Blower Resistor Pack
27-06-16, 18:54 #32
G60JONNY
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

Done mine today and could only get hold of a 192C fuse.......all working just fine for the moment!

Gotta love this forum!!

02-08-19, 13:21 #33
mwalker72
Van Man

Where can you get these resistors from now Maplins is no more. RS components maybe ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in