Old 06-09-19, 21:02
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Back door lock malfunction

Dear VW people

I've been lurking here for quite some time and finally got myself a 1997 T4 2.4 D. my first car!
High top, good engine and super ugly
I am going to fix some minor flaws and first thing up is a semi-defective back door with what I see as 3 bugs
It is, as I said, the high top model (with tall back doors)

bug 1.
- right site rear door (twith the locking mechanism) cannot be opened normally, either from outside or inside
- the handle pulls out (nothing happens), and the bottom of the handle tilts out slightly farther than the top
- from inside (through the panel) I have manged to open the upper part of the doors by flipping over the arm which the small horizontal bar pulls.
here lies the first bug I think: The arm is too long to turn the lock over. Therefore, the handle also seems too loose.
1. Can this arm be bent/shortend?
here it shows how it does not pull / push enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRK...ature=youtu.be

bug 2:
The bottom of the right door would still not open, but I managed to by pulling up one vertical rod which controls the lower, right "lock"
2: shouldnt this rod normally be pulled up by pulling the handle? if so how do I attatch this rod to the handle mechanism

Error 3.
Now I opened the right door. looked like it had been a while! The left door was easy to open by pulling the handle in the side of the door. (the handle is loose however, since the bolt fastening it to the door is missing. Anybody now which one to get?)
Now I wanted to close the doors again, but the top "locks" were stuck in the locking position, so I had to use a screwdriver to flip the arm out so they could be closed again.
3. Is this possible because I opened the door "alternatively" or should this be solved in some other way?

I hope someone can help me.

Greetings from Denmark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-19, 09:43
Van Rookie

Default Re: Back door lock malfunction

* and the top of the handle tilts out slightly farther than the buttom
Old 08-09-19, 21:03
Van Guru

Default Re: Back door lock malfunction

It sounds like your issue is an alignment one. I would sort out the loose handles first and go from there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in