VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Tips on choosing the right conversion company

35K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Bobt51 
#1 ·
Ive seen a fair few of these "so called" conversion companies turning out shody work (no disrespect to the genuine ones) and I thought I try and compile a guide to choosing one.

Now, as I'm not, nor ever will be in the market for having one I thought I'd ask you guys to lay down some tips from the experiance you've had to protect people from making mistakes. I will then collate all this info and put a sticky in both the T4 and T5 conversion sections T:

Things like, always pay a deposit with a credit card were possible to have some way of retrieving your money should things go wrong. Etc etc.

Let me know what you got peeps T:

#35 ·
Having been on the receiving end of a shoddy company (looking at you T4mation) I would say the following.
Get everything in writing and agree upfront costs exact work to be carried out and with what materials and most importantly timescales!
Know where your Van is going to be you MUST agree a finish date for the work, my installer and my Van vanished for a while, I spoke with the Police who didnt want to know as it was a civil matter as the end date had not been arranged ie I willingly gave him my Van with no return date the fact he shut up shop and naffed off and ghosted me is apparently irrelevant because i gave him the Van.
Get a tracker fitted, I strongly believe the only reason I actually got the van back is because I had a tracker fitted and could locate it to within 3 m
DO NOT believe online reviews they lie and are paid for by the business and so its in the review hosts interest to ensure as many positive reviews are available as possible even if it means rejecting reviews for the most spurious reasons such as an invoice being in my first name! (looking at you trustpilot) I had to work very hard to have the review posted, the business (t4mation) has stopped all google reviews and facebook reviews .
Finally do what I am now doing DIY learn buy flatpack and do it or just get the stuff you cant manage yourself done its actually easy with time and attention and a hell of a lot more satisfying and cheaper to boot.
But in essence CONTRACT CONTRACT CONTRACT dont trust them to be good to their word, a lot of these scammers success relies on the image that the VW camper crowd are a great bunch and friendly, dont get caught out trust none of them!