Old 01-01-19, 15:30
Van Pro

T5 Post Icon Water pump Seized in to the block 2.5 AXD 2006

Hi all,

Having a bit of a nightmare and could do with some help. was drving along and the coolant got dumped in the the oil, quickly diagnosed it as a failed water pump. i now cant get the pump out, i have stripped everything off and have plaved the extraction tool over it. i put so much pressure on it i have broken the tool a number of times and then had to reweld it stronger than before.

i have tried everythig left it tensioned for DAYS no joy, sprayed it with WD-40 i have just heated it with a mag blow torch to see if it will come no joy. im now at my whitts end. unless i can get it out soon im thinking im gonna have to drop the engine to attack it further
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-19, 19:50
Serial Poster

Default Re: Water pump Seized in to the block 2.5 AXD 2006

Sounds bad, im considering doing mine at some point.

If Ive understood the design right its a circular pump in a circular aperture?

What about a bar drilled and bolted across the bolting points to apply some rotational force? Enough to break loose any bonding, or would the risk of cracking the bolt points on the pump casing apart be too much?

Break its bond loose then pull it basically.
Old 02-01-19, 17:03
Van Pro

its hard to explain without seeing it but yes your discription of the pump and housing is correct. There is very little working room for a start and it has been tourqued to hard it breaking tools despite even being heated. im going to start stipping it down this evening for the engine to come out.
Old 03-01-19, 23:32
Van Pro

So got stuck in this evening single handed and just went around unbolting everything took me about 3hrs and its the first time i ever dropped an engine. you can see from the pics the state of the water pump.

Old 04-01-19, 08:54
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

I recognise the van now from the build thread you did last year. I see you've got access to a ramp, but it might be worth changing the starter motor while you've got the engine out. It's a pretty fiddly job to change it with the engine in the van. I think you've said before about the gates couplings, but worth changing them at the same time. Well done for taking it on
Old 05-01-19, 12:17
Serial Poster

Check everything, manifold studs and any cracks, do the gates couplings, yes perhaps starter. Even things like 2x CTS sensors (one on block under manifold is not easy to reach usually), thermostat, check your turbo and health of its mounting gasket (oil seal) and remember to renew the donut gasket etc

Anything you can do to save time and hassle later.

I'd even consider rocker cover off and a good inspect of the cam and followers, maybe even the injector bores.
Old 05-01-19, 12:23
Van Pro

thanks for that will look in to it, all 5 injectors were serviced last summer with new vw seals, stretch bolts and wiring harness. wasent cheap
Old 05-01-19, 12:52
Lord of the T4s

Don't forget to replace the freewheels on the alternator (and A/C if you have it.)
Old 13-01-19, 18:14
Van Pro

Well to say i had problems getting this pump out is an understatement. I spent 2 weeks and I almost threw in the towel, i spent days heating cooling trying to pull it out when eventually the shaft from the pump came out and i was left with just the race which i couldt cut. I ended up today welding a towing eye in to the race and using a highlift jack on the engine in an attempt to remove the pump. still no joy but under massive load i began to hit the eye with a hammer and the race began coming out with every strike. after removing the race i then cut through to the 2 10mm holes i drilled close to the wall of the pump housing and had to beat and break the pump out bit by bit. it was a horrible job and i really thought it had beaten me.

after i removed the old pump i cleaned the rust from the inside of the pump housing using a die grinder and offered up the new pump and it seems to fit well. As the engine is out i will be doing a few small jobs and hope to have the engine in by next weekend

Look at the bend under load

All done
Old 13-01-19, 20:11
Lord of the T4s

Strewth. You have just leapt straight to the top of my “most determined people” list.

I hope the repair and reinstall goes well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in