VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Pduk's White T5.1 'R' Evolution Thread

104K views 1K replies 59 participants last post by  Pduk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, this past weekend I bought myself a 2013 T5.1 Transporter van T: It's the first one I've owned so currently learning fast about them and what's possible regarding modifications, it appears there is a lot! :eek:

Here's how she looked after I gave her a good bath...

Already got a long list of things I want to do, but slowly working through that.

Already fitted wing deflectors and bought a new gear knob and gaitor as the current one is looking a little tired. Also got new number plates on order and ice white interior lights to make a little start on making her mine.

Literally just ordered H&R lowering springs from Chilli Jam Vans after so many raving reviews about them on here, can only echo their excellent service and help with advising what will work for the van. (y)

Looking to replace the front seats and the lovely chequer board flooring :eek:.

The plan is to kit the back out to house a mtb and my kit which I'll design at work, may also include a single bed with storage underneath. The possibilities are endless!

Any questions / advice is very welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Pete :cool:

Mods so far:

Exterior

Gloss black wing mirrors.
Wind deflectors.
Gloss black vinyl detail to front bumper.
Lime green detailing to front grilles.
Lime green & silver Sportline decals to mirror covers.
Gloss black abs front splitter.
Red rim detail removed.
Gloss black rear bumper protector.
Gloss black side decals.
R side decals.
Gloss black rear door handle trim.
Bonnet gas strut.
Gloss black DRL's.
Gloss black honeycombe grill.
Lime green mirror bases.
Barn door windows.
Sliding window in sliding door.
Side skirts.
Front mudflaps.

Interior
Upgraded interior lighting to cool white leds.
Better looking gearknob & gaiter.
"T5" & "Sportline" printed dash button blanks.
Diamond black steering wheel trims.
Diamond black door handles.
Dark oak vinyl flooring.
Carpet wrapped divider panel.
Silver and chrome gearknob insert.
New side entrance step panel.
2nd set of front door seals.
VW gloss black door lock pins.
Golf Mk7 R multifunction steering wheel.
Needle sweep enabled.
Auto headlight switch installed.
Windscreen / dash trim.
Full width rear threshold trim.
Side window curtains.
Rear storage.
Pull out sofa bed.
Golf Mk7 R front seats.
Chrome interior door handles.
Xtrons headunit.
Tartan gear stick gaiter.
Golf Mk7 R rear seats.
Gloss black dash trim.

Performance & Handling
Lowered on 50mm H&R springs.
Revo 170bhp remap :cool:
Forge boost hose kit.

See less See more
#9 ·
T:

She's booked in this Friday to have some new lower springs fitted, can't wait!

This weekend I'm planning to fix an issue with my dash central vents as they aren't expelling air as well as the side vents. Also new cool white interior and number plate bulbs, along with some nice fresh new number plates.

Not sure what to tick off the list next LOL:

I do like a white van, I get shaky if I haven't bought the van something for a weekT:
Brian
Thanks Brian, yeah I know the feeling, I've owned her now for just over a week and think I've bought something everyday so far! I:

#10 · (Edited)
This past weekend I did a few little jobs to the van, first was to replace the worn gearknob and gaiter, I know there's lots of options but for now until I decide on a theme I opted for a nicer looking version with some nice chrome details...

Old one...

New one...

It came with a 6 speed insert that I don't need, so if anyone can make use of it let me know and I'll drop it in the post FOC T:

Another little touch was to vinyl out the recessed areas adjacent to the front number plate, I'm a solid believer that the little details are equally as important the bigger ones. Think it breaks up the front nicely.

Oh and had another good wash as it's been a week since the last one LOL:

Thanks for looking.

Pete

#819 ·
This past weekend I did a few little jobs to the van, first was to replace the worn gearknob and gaiter, I know there's lots of options but for now until I decide on a theme I opted for a nicer looking version with some nice chrome details...

Old one...

New one...

It came with a 6 speed insert that I don't need, so if anyone can make use of it let me know and I'll drop it in the post FOC T:

Another little touch was to vinyl out the recessed areas adjacent to the front number plate, I'm a solid believer that the little details are equally as important the bigger ones. Think it breaks up the front nicely.

Oh and had another good wash as it's been a week since the last one LOL:

Thanks for looking.

Pete
I know it`s an old post....but i like the vinyl addition (y)

#23 ·
That is very cool, these style of drawing were all the rage years ago before technology brought us photoshop etc.

Often see Integra Type R's kicking about from time to time, they still look pretty awesome T:

#27 · (Edited)
Update:

So coming from an Audi A5 Quattro to owing the T5, the handling was a bit of a shock to the system, more so because mine came with Saab leather seats that offer little in the way of support, so when going round a tight corner or round about I would start to slip off the seat :eek: seats will be replaced at some point, but on Friday I had her lowered on some H&R springs (will upgrade to coilovers in the future) which has made such a difference, she looks loads better and is more planted on the road. Saturday gave her a good wash and took for some photos :cool:

Before...

After...

She should drop a tad more.

Also over the weekend I fitted some cool white interior bulbs...

Before...

After...

I also had issues where my centre vents wouldn't blow out air, so read some posts on here and tried to fix the issue, mine already had the upgraded control bar fitted so that wasn't the issue, checked and it had both end caps fitted as mine doesn't have dash end vents, and they were so was out of ideas, then my brother adjusted a big white plastic wheel thing behind the radio which instantly solved the problem, unfortunately I didn't take I a photo as I'm sure this would help others with this issue. I:

Decided to take her on her maiden voyage to Sherwood Pines as one of the main reason I bought her was to transport my bike and kit, the back is still un modified as I'm still working on designs but took some pics anyway of course T:

Make shift bike rack LOL:

Got some more mods sat at home and on order, will update shortly. :D

Thanks for looking.

Pete

#29 ·
Thanks, the handling is much better too. Tempted to upgrade the arb too :cool:

Not really, I want the bikes inside for security more than anything, the plan is to design and fit out the rear to secure the bikes and my kit better, bungy straps worked well though LOL:

#32 ·
Thanks mate, still got loads to do to her :D Sounds good, I'll do the same, seems to be a haven for these vehicles, always a few there when I go. Great to be part of the community T:

#33 · (Edited)
A few more little updates from the weekend:

The previous owner had super glued a white plastic thing to one of the dash button blanks, so are looking on the web I came across a seller that had printed buttons so opted for a nice new pair...

Before:

After:

The eagle eye may also spot that the airbag button wasn't sitting right so with the dash out I managed to sort that too so it all looks nice and neat T:

I've always wanted to put my own stamp on my cars and this is no exception, so thinking of a theme I wanted to add a little bit of colour to break up the black and white, after a few photoshops I decided on the colour :cool:

And once again took her to Sherwood Pines

More to come...

Thanks for looking.

Pete

#34 · (Edited)
This weekend saw an addition to the T5 to add a little styling to her face, so ordered and installed a gloss black splitter. Over the moon with the quality and how well it looks. Obviously took her for some photos :D

Yesterday I treated her to a day at the beach where I met some fellow Transporter owners and swapped ideas and thoughts, such a friendly community T:

Love this photo...

While I was there I went for a bike ride...on the beach LOL:

Thanks for looking.

Pete T:

#36 ·
Thanks mate, it's the reason I bought one really, to get out and explore the world with my bike. Not sure which direction to go now, I originally was simply going to have a bike rack and storage in the back, but after seeing some conversions in the flesh Im tempted to go that way and get a bike rack for the rear. :dunno:

One thing is certain, I need new seats, the ones that came with the T5 are from a Saab and after 2 hours they become rather uncomfortable. Think this will be my next purchase T:

#39 ·
I've got these ones...

Not sure which model they are from but they don't look as comfy as the ones above. My previous cars have had recaros and sports seats so I'm used to being supported nicely, I slip out of these when going round corners and roundabouts, not even fast either LOL:

#40 ·
Update:

At some point I'll be upgrading the steering wheel but I've got to research into this as to fit a newer version with a different airbag I believe needs the loom adapting, anyway it'll be an ongoing mod. However in the mean time, I figured I'd freshen up the interior a little bit, so bought some chrome steering wheel trims and sprayed them diamond black, also did the grab hand covers too, turned out rather well considering I was in a shed with rattle cans :D

Thanks for looking

Pete

#42 ·
Update:

Last weekend my new flooring turned up along with more carpet lining, so Saturday I set about stripping the rear seats out (right pain in the butt :bhd) but finally got the rails removed. Took the divider out and gave the back a good clean...

Then installed the new floor, took some fiddling to line it up and some trimming but am pleased with the end result...:D

With the divider out and looking a little tired, I decided to wrap it in the fabric to make it look more cosy...

Before...

After...

Back in the van...

Had to drill new holes in the bodywork to bolt the divider back into, first time taking a Black & Decker to a vehicle :eek:

Not bad for a days work even if I do say so myself. :D

#43 ·
On Sunday as I had the following week off work, I decided to head for a camping holiday in Wales, was awesome but has raised some points that need addressing to make it more user friendly when camping, still for version 1 I think it was good.

Loaded up...

A nice shot from Shell Island...

And one from the road to Barmouth...

Got back this past Friday to find a couple more deliveries, a new gear knock insert and new side door step as the original one is looking tired. Removed the old one and had to do some cutting back of the plywood flooring as the new one wouldn't fit, turns out the old one had been butchers to fit, I wasn't having it so cut the floor to where it should be so the new one would fit without any unsightly screws being required.

Old...

New...

And fitted the new insert to break up the black and grey dash...

That's it for now, more to follow...soon :cool:

Thanks for looking.

Pete

#45 ·
Thanks mate, it's certainly a labour of love T:

Still working out what setup I want in the back, so until I decide I'll keep freshening up some of the tired parts and adding my stamp on things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.