Old 29-05-12, 12:16
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Project Sharkbait

OK, so time to start my build thread. This being my first build I'm not expecting to happen too rapidly as I work things out and save my money for some experts to help out.

I picked up this T4 800 Special 1.9TD on Easter Saturday via eBay, with 105,000 miles on the clock and fairly tidy bodywork I'm quite happy with the 2.9k price tag I paid which left me some money to get started.

My goal is to get the outside sorted this year and to carpet the inside and hopefully get the cab area done.

Here are the pictures taken from the eBay advert before I started doing anything...

My first objective was to make sure everything was working as it should. Unfortunately, the day I got it back from Nottingham, it didn't start again so thanks to advice from this forum, I replaced the ignition switch and all was fine.

The other fault I had was a brake pad warning light and while I got a local mechanic to give the once over, the warning beep and bulb were removed. Besides this, just a few little things like a new rear wiper and new runners for the sliding door, and putting a tow ball back on with new socket...

Next on the agenda was to fit the new alloys and tint the windows a little tint and got some smoked rear lights to replace the cracked originals...

While I was organising a respray I did a bit of work on insulation, using flashband on the wheel arches and self-adhesive thermofoam off ebay which seems to work wonders on sound insulation as it was really noisy after I stripped out the original ply lining.

Next was to fit the suspension kit. I didn't want to slam the van too low so opted for the V-Maxx kit. Fitting this was a complete pain in the rear, the removal of the rear shocks that is. I just couldn't do it so got a local garage to get the top bolt off the rear nearside shock, even for them it was a struggle. The front shocks went on fine but then, more problems in undoing the nuts on the torsion bar, complete nightmare to undo so back to the garage.

Anyway, in the end it paid off. I maybe would like to go a little lower but will see how things are after the conversion. The drive is definitely much better now.

By now, I'm really looking forward to getting the respary done, but started redoing the internal panels ready for covering. I used the original cracked panels of the roof and tailgate to create new ones from hardboard. I also bought an internal handle to fit to the tailgate and cut this out when creating new panel. These are now covered in headlining foam and synthetic suede, no photo's yet.

OK, so as I write this, the van has been in the body shop for over a week. Originally going infor a bit of a touch up and a black roof but ending up as a full respray. I visited today to see how things were and was really impressed in the quality of the black on the trim, not too clear on these pictures as there's a lot of dust on them...

And the body work has all been prepared ready for the re-spray. I had to have a few dents sorted and the sliding door handle looked liked somebody had tried to break in before so that needed repairing.

I've also ordered the new trimless side windows from Just Kampers, these will be fitted after the respray, then I need to take a bit of a breather and think how I'm going to keep funding this.

I shall update this thread as I progress, and also try and keep my blog at http://sharkbait.me.uk up together.

Last edited by sharkbait; 09-02-15 at 18:11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-05-12, 07:31
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: Project Sharkbait

I spoke to the body shop this morning, van is nearly done, just needs to spray the pillars and put the windows back in. Really looking forward to getting it back now. I've got a local guy fitting the side windows next week, I have the windows here waiting. I finally decided yesterday to go with the half bonnet bra, I thought it needed something on the front but didn't want to go for the full bra. When complete (hopefully next week), it should look something like this...

Old 31-05-12, 17:20
Van Guru
I Support CLIC Sargent

Your van is so nice, good job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-12, 09:11
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Project Sharkbait

Just picked the van up from the body shop, I'm really happy with the work done and would definitely recommend using Elite Panel Craft in Wilton if you're local. The side windows will be put in next Tuesday, here's how it's looking right now. A shame the weather has gone to the dogs on the day I pick it up...

Also, it looks like the rear suspension has settled a bit so the front will need lowering to match now, which I'm happy about as I thought the V-maxx suspension was a bit high initially.

Last edited by sharkbait; 01-06-12 at 09:38.
Old 01-06-12, 09:16
More than a little van obsessed

Looking good like you say, shame about the weather and lack of light doesn't help with photos generally

Shit driver.
Old 19-06-12, 07:59
Van Master Jedi

OK, so not too much has been done recently as I've been using the van for what it was intended for, going surfing and mountain biking...

The time I have been spending on the van has largely been full of the little jobs, like replacing the crappy rubber aerial with a metal one, trying to fix the non-working internal passenger handle (bar is bent so new one due soon). I've also now fitted mud flaps, essential for the little roads around here that are covered in mud.

I've also fitted the Styleline B-pillar kit ordered from T4srus...

Also, the faux suede headlining is in, which has a really nice feel and is soft as I used headlining foam backing underneath it, pictures are not too good...

The one thing I really want to get done soon is a proper floor. I've now ordered just the floor ply from Van-Guard, after phoning around all the local timber merchants to get a price on a 10 x 5 sheet of ply, they were all really expensive, yet Van-Guard supply a cut floor for just 72 all in, including delivery.

I still have the original ply kit if anyone wants to make an offer, I got the new one as I do not want holes where the D rings were and I'll be using hardboard for the sides.

I intend to cover the red oxide with Plasti Dip too. the original floor was fine but just don't want to take any risks as I want this van to last a long time.

I've also been waiting for Euroglass to get stock of the side windows, which I think are now imminent so they'll be going in soon.

So far, it's been great fun, if not a little expensive, but if I can get the interior lined this year then for 2012 it's mission accomplished.

Last edited by sharkbait; 19-06-12 at 08:01.
Old 26-06-12, 17:35
Van Master Jedi

Really happy right now as I got my van back from Martin after having the windows fitted, he's done a grand job and I'm so chuffed it has turned out how I hoped. Defintely glad I went for the Euroglass trimless windows/

If we get some decent weather in the next few days I think I'll do some proper photo's, just using iPhone on my terribly sloped drive at the moment

Last edited by sharkbait; 26-06-12 at 17:38.
Old 01-07-12, 16:49
Van Master Jedi

Haven't been doing much on van for last few days, but thought I'd upload a better picture of the exterior...

Old 08-07-12, 22:02
Van Master Jedi

I've not done too much just lately as I need to watch the budget a little but I'll be doing as much as I can on the interior as I can.

It's quite nice to not do too much at once as I feel more confident that I'm making the right decision, whether it is or not is a different matter. This weekend I went with how I decided to fix the floor down. I got the floor from Vanguard which was cheaper than buying a 10x5 sheet of ply, I didn't want to do the floor in two pieces as I had decided to use the lashing points to bolt the floor down which has worked well.

Using what I had left of the thermal foam I got off eBay, I covered the bottom of the floor, being it's self adhesive, this is quite easy. As I had loads of little bits, I just filled in the gaps, the photo's not good but shows what I mean...

I ordered the floor without the bolt holes, these were easy to sort. With the floor out of the van, I just inserted the bolts supplied with the floor, then put the floor into the van and applied weight. The insulation then indents, I removed the floor and drilled 10mm holes where the indents were. For now, I've used the bolts supplied but I have some countersunk bolts on order, this will allow me to lay the lino type floor on top.

Floor bolted down...

I also managed to get my templates finally sorted for the new side panels above the wheel arches, these were tricky but I followed somebody on this forum's tip of using packing paper to mark them out, by doing in two parts, bottom and then top, I marked onto hardboard and it fits perfectly.

I'm using 4mm hardboard as I'll be using the invisible clips from Megavanmats. In order for the clips to fix to the top of the van I've had to drill 8mm holes, there are already smaller holes there so just used them for markers.

Next I'll be making the holes in the panels for the clips, I've been testing how I'll do this and have come up with a way which should work well and that's to stick roofing nails to the van using masking tape facing outwards where the holes should be, then put the panel in place and apply pressure, the nails will mark the hardboard where the holes are and I'll just drill there.
Old 08-07-12, 22:27
Van Jedi

Looking good mate (saw you a few weeks ago when me and my mate were fitting ur neighbours conservatory) Vans coming on well. Did you get the panel that covers the top of the side load door runner when you got your styleline b post kit? did the kit fit well, been thinking of getting the kit myself. Cheers dude

Tags
sharkbait, van, vw t4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in