Old 28-01-09, 00:59
Van Rookie

Default What to look out for whehn buying a T4

Hi All

I'm looking to purchase a T4 having done some research into what type of van I would like. I used to own a type 2 bay window many years ago so like vw's and the t4's seem to have a good reputation, but i know next to nothing mechanically about them.

Can anyone please give me a quick run down on buying a sound t4, what do I need to look out for? What breaks reguarly? etc

I have a budget of up to £2.5k, would love one of the crewcab models, but they seem a bit out of my price range, so will probably settle for a panel van, with the aim of converting it to a crew cab. Does this sound realistic? i.e enough monet for a good enough van, we live in rural West Wales.

It will be used as a daily runner and once extra seats are installed as a people carrier with an extra large boot!

Can you easily obtain the sliding door with windows second hand? and how feasable is it to fit a window in the drivers side rear panel, so the kids have a view and aren't sitting in the dark?

I look forward to commensts and suggestions

many thanks

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-01-09, 20:04
Lord of the T4s
Help For Heroes

Default Re: What to look out for whehn buying a T4

Hi Mike ,
After years of bugs/buggies/buses/rails etc have now converted.Pretty much decided on a 2.5tdi as anything else would get on my t*ts as a daily driver (Brecons to swansea daily commute).Had a 1.9td engine in my T3 and although very good(and similar to the T4 1.9 in power) was a bit gutless and would have loved the 'bigger' option,especially in the hills.i can bury the peddle in 5th on a hill and still acclerate.
Service history and belts/tensioners/idlers on a 2.5 is what i gleaned.
Fortunately for you and I the popularity boom has now recided and they are coming in at sensible money.
I surfed ebay/adtrader/autotrader/forums etc daily for a few weeks until i found the 'right' one.(interstingly enough i found the ones on here were priced higher compared to everywhere else!) Classic example of $hit ebay advert/pictures.The van didnt sell twice and i got it for a very cheeky offer.
2.5tdi ,1999, 102 , LWB , FSH , 130k , every MOT and tax disc from new , £kkkkks of bills receipts, crew bus from factory (middle sliders and 3 middle seats- a double and a single that folds down) strengthened C pillar with seat belts fitted, full electric pack etc etc
The description was basically 2 lines "buy it , its for sale" type thing!!
There are loads out there , just dont rush.IF you are buying a 'van' to convert , ring your local VW dealer and get them to check the service history/milage. You would be amazed at how many had 'lost' miles in between being 'decommissioned' as a works van and going to auction
deffo consider the 2.5tdi though.
Old 07-02-09, 00:52
Van Rookie

everyone 2 there own dont personaly like the 2.5 due to the price of parts if your not looking to sit at 90 all day a 1.9 td would be a more than ample van and also more reliable bits to look for are rot on the arches and sills play in the ball joints steering arms wheel bearings older vans will have something away on em and a must dont buy a van thats running rough or smokey make sure the engine is cold when you go to see it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-09, 00:55
Van Rookie

sorry i will read the rules in future

Last edited by Turlough; 07-02-09 at 20:05. Reason: No adverts please ! Read the Rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in