VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4 metal water pipe.

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cloudnine 
#1 ·
Can anyone help my find a shop that sells a metal water pipe that goes over the gearbox on a 03 2.5 tdi. I got 1 for my ex AA for under £40 but cant find them.

#7 ·
Found a description of how to do it (1.9 though)...

dead easy to do mate (well it was on my 19Td)
1, just drain the cooling system using the drain bolt on the long lower lengh of the metal pipe
2, disconnect the 2 pipes on the top (1 goes to the heater matrix and 1 from the expansion bottle, i think
3, then the 1 going to the oil cooler ( on the oil filter housing ) from underneath the van
4, finally the pipe where the metal pipe goes into the thermostate housing
5,unclip the plug from the expansion bottle and unbolt the bottle and move it out of the way , this will give you plenty of room to work,
6, then undo the 2 ( if memory serves me right) retaining bolts, and remove the pipe

it takes abit of wiggling about to free it and there will be afew plastic clips holding the wiring loom to pull off but there easy enough,
when its off just check where the plactic clips have been mate as it seems to be a place that the pipe rusts the most and before refitting the new one give it a coat of hammerite or stone chip to give it a little extra protection,
I also flushed the rad and engine while mine was off and the refilled it with G13 coolant as it seems to be the most common for vw now, youll need about 2/3 bottles of it in first then top up with water,
run the van till its at normal temp and dont forget to release the bleed valve on the upermost heater pipe to realease the air,
JOB DONE simplesssssssssss T:

#8 ·
What an biatch of a job.. especially when some of the clips are facing the wrong way round.
Coolant, rust and mud in my eye too.
Typical 1.5hr job that turns into 3hrs with tea and biscuit break.
Its a cramped fiddly job with the hardest bit actually getting the rubber pipes off the rusted metal pipe.
Just hope all the coolant stays in the pipes when i drive to work tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.