Old 04-06-14, 08:44
Van Man

T5 Post Icon 1.9, 1.9, or 1.9?

Good morning guys! Right, my T5 has a bit of an issue... Long story short. It was using a lot of water, so head gasket was found to be faulty, so gasket done, head skimmed, pressure tested, and is now perfect. Bolted back on and still having water loss. All ancilliaries now tested and are proven, so the issue looks to be in the block. Its currently having that tested, but its looking like I'll probably swap another engine in. Its a 2006 104.

So, my question is, with the plethora of PD's out there in VAG land, which ones can I use on my van? I have all original ancilliaries, so can swap the sump and oil pickup tube out to get the correct angle of the engine etc. Is there a definitive list of what Seat/Skoda/Audi etc ones can be swapped in?

In hindsight, maybe camping in -29 in the Arctic Circle was not the best for the van!

Cheers for any help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-14, 13:10
Van Man

Default Re: 1.9, 1.9, or 1.9?

Okay,

From a bunch of searching, I think I have got to the following info:

My original engine is code AXB. This also means the AXC is fine to use. According to Volkswagen, the engines have the same part number for the 88 and 104 models. List prices are 4177 for a complete engine, and 1935 for a bottom end, both inc. VAT.

The later BRS engine will not work as it has different types of sensors on it.

The ATD engine as fitted to new Beetles and Golf Mk4's will also work provided the sump and oil pickup tube are used from the T5, and possibly a hole drilled for correct positioning of the dipstick.

More info as it comes...
Old 25-06-14, 08:26
Van Man

Okay, well... There have been some developments...

Right, so the head was all sorted, pressure tested etc, then there was a fault with the block located, then fixed. So, 500 happy test miles were completed. Stayed at 90 degrees without fail.

So, what's the issue then? I hear you ask? Well, it then drove from Bristol to Manchester faultlessly. Great, no issues. However, the journey back was a little more interesting.

'BANG clatter clatter, battery light on, oil all over the front of the engine. The stubborn little lump doesnt like its home in the front cupboard I dont think!

So recovered it to Swansea. Up on the lift and off with the sump. Now, it gets interesting. The sump was stuck on with instant gasket, which looks to have been previous bodgery from before I owned it, so sometime within the vans first 92k miles. God knows what they did in there, but if they stuck the sump on like that, then I've not got a great deal of confidence in whatever else they did. Once the sump was off, the issue became clear - it chucked a rod through the side of the block. At least thats conclusive!!

So, if anyone knows of a decent engine.....
Old 25-06-14, 09:14
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

what was the 500 issue with the block?

Van Sales - Body shop - servicing and repairs www.justvanz.co.uk
South West Pendle Performance Agent www.pendleperformance.com
Old 25-06-14, 09:50
Van Man

No 500 issue with the block, there was a slight weeping from an oil gallery in the block through to the sump, so some compound was put in it to seal it, seems to have worked well as the water level did not move by so much as a mm during the miles driven. The head was fully reconditioned, valves out, cam bearings changed, followers changed, skimmed, pressure tested, and then heat pressure tested. New belts/tensioners, oil flushed, replaced, all put back together and it ran like new.

The sump being glued on was an old repair, and there is evidence of the van having a front ender from its distant history, so I reckon that some internal stuff went on at the same time that it was repaired. I havent seen the engine myself as I got it sent home and my Dad (Farmer/engineer) instantly laid into it to find out what was up, so I dont know if the rod snapped, or the cap bolts sheared/came loose at this stage. The crank journal is quite badly scored though, so it might have just seized on the crank and then decided to exit left.

I wont get a chance to lay into it properly for at least a few weeks as I am doing some prep on my 1950 Kombi to drive to Le Mans Classic next week, so thats a priority at the moment. Once I get some time I'll take some pics to show whats gone on with it. Also, if I go down the ATD engine route I will document and photograph the changes so that its easy for anyone to follow as the number of available AXB's dwindle
Old 25-06-14, 12:25
Van Man

The van in question, its done a few random trips

Old 25-06-14, 22:19
Senior Plus Moderator.
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW TransporterModerator

Interesting thread bud

Keep us posted with the engine change as like you say the AXB is getting rare!
Old 28-07-14, 10:45
Van Man

Okay, so time for an update. The van is 100 miles away from me at the moment, so finding time to go down and get stuck in has proven to be a bit difficult, however events came together in such a way that I was able to get a couple of days to fiddle with it last Friday and Saturday. A friend picked up a donor ATD engine and dropped it off on Friday, so I was finally able to compare and contrast, so the results will follow below Just waiting for pics to upload to photobucket at the moment........
Old 28-07-14, 11:07
Van Man

Time to get stuck in. So many plastic bits of tat on the front of these! Finally got all the junk out of the way enough to be able to get to the engine

I wont take you through all the boring stuff of taking the headlights/bumper/rad etc off as its all pretty self explanatory, so we'll pick up when we get to the block. I did list all the parts as I undid them, that's my way of making sure I get all the stuff back in the right order and dont miss anything. One thing I did that I think was worthwhile was to take off the power steering pump and swing it to one side and lift the cooler for it towards the windscreen so I did not have to drain all the fluid from that at least.

Also, as I was leaving the gearbox in place, a piece of wood was cut to size and bolted up underneath to hold that up while I was fiddling with the engine. In hindsight to get the engine out I should have pulled the bottom pulley off the crank as it was really tight to squeeze the engine out between the bellhousing and the chassis leg.

In the next pic you can see the PAS cooler above the engine, and the hole in the block...

Old 28-07-14, 11:13
Van Man

So, here is the donor ATD engine. Upon first inspection, all mounts, sensors and tappings look the sama apart from the oil filter housing. The eagle eyed amongst you will see that the housing is marked up as AJM. Not what was required from the breakers unfortunately, as I was to find out later..

Now the interesting stuff. The ATD sump was removed, and the oil pump looked the same as the van one with the exception of the oil pickup tube. This was longer on my old AXW engine due to the sump being different, so the AXW one was bolted up in place of the ATD one. The plastic strainer from my AXW sump was demolished by pieces of piston on its last journey, so this was checked against the ATD one and found to be the same. Bit of luck there then!

So, even though the sump is different, and the engine angle also differs, this part is the same:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in