Old 17-11-09, 18:15  
** brand new vsr split charge + power distribution system**
tidytransporters tidytransporters is offline 17-11-09, 18:15

I wanted to save some time/confusion/aprehension for people fitting split charge kits. This neat little box of tricks makes things much easier and saves loads of time fitting the split charge kit and fitting applicances. Its simple to install with just 2 wires to the main battery which goes into a consumer unit and from there its easy to distribute the power to up to 10 applicances. Its got a few other neat features have a look hereČ`

http://www.tidytransporters.co.uk/in...roducts_id=387

Cheers

Will

Last edited by tidytransporters; 17-11-09 at 18:18..
tidytransporters
More than a little van obsessed
I Support Cancer Research UK
Views: 38252
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-03-10, 20:03
Van Man

Default Re: ** brand new vsr split charge + power distribution system**

Thanks that's what I was guessing with my complete lack of electrical knowledge.

Yeah - is a cracking bit of kit in terms of simple to fit/plug and play - even an idiot like me can do it !
If someone has already done it please point me in the direction- but it would be good if there was some instructions/1 pager that explained how it a) works ie what the lights do b) FAQs -

I wouldnt want anyone bring put off the actual product- given the questions on here- it saves so much time, effort and fiddling around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-03-10, 20:07
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidytransporters View Post
I wanted to save some time/confusion/aprehension for people fitting split charge kits. This neat little box of tricks makes things much easier and saves loads of time fitting the split charge kit and fitting applicances. Its simple to install with just 2 wires to the main battery which goes into a consumer unit and from there its easy to distribute the power to up to 10 applicances. Its got a few other neat features have a look hereČ`

http://www.tidytransporters.co.uk/in...roducts_id=387

Cheers

Will
hi will,
our leisure battery is in the front next to the main battery, would this still work for us, obviously from the question i am a total dim wit when it comes to electrics!!

if i decide to get one and collect it, r u open at weekends?
Old 22-03-10, 17:19

I have had lots of emails regarding what the light's do etc here is a bit more info on them which is from our website:

Green Warning Light:-

Charging indicator/Fridge on.
This lamp will illuminate when the engine is running, it is also normal for this to remain on for a short time after the engine is switched off, this is until both the vehicle & leisure batteries level out and drop below 13.4 volts. (13.4 volts is the cut off voltage sensed by the split charge relay)

Amber Warning Light:-

Isolator switch in the on position.
All consumables have a fused supply.

Note:
The fridge is not wired via the isolator switch. The fridge will switch off when the voltage drops below 13.4 volts and the split charge relay senses this.
It is important for the fridge to be wired this way so it will operate automatically when the vehicle is running.

In occasional cases the 'pot' (adjustment screw) on the PCT split charge relay may need 'tweaking' in order to achieve the correct cut off voltage of 13.4 volts.

Last edited by tidytransporters; 22-03-10 at 21:51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-03-10, 21:47
Van Man

Just a quick note to say thanks to Will for sorting this out for me, as the last post suggests, i had wired an inverter up to the fridge circuit and then couldn't quite understand why the isolator didn't work. i have also tweaked the vsr a little as it did take a while for the green light to go out. i am not sure if this has anything to do with the fact i have a band new starter battery fitted.

Any way all sorted now and working great, now i understand how it works it was a doddle to fit and a great piece of kit. I am going to fit this permanently hopefully this weekend ( as i had it rolling around under my seat before just to test it) i will try to get some photos if anyone is interested.
Cheers.
Old 23-03-10, 09:38
Van Master Jedi

I would be interested in seeing some pics mate! It's doing my head in trying to work out what electrics to get.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davroski View Post
Just a quick note to say thanks to Will for sorting this out for me, as the last post suggests, i had wired an inverter up to the fridge circuit and then couldn't quite understand why the isolator didn't work. i have also tweaked the vsr a little as it did take a while for the green light to go out. i am not sure if this has anything to do with the fact i have a band new starter battery fitted.

Any way all sorted now and working great, now i understand how it works it was a doddle to fit and a great piece of kit. I am going to fit this permanently hopefully this weekend ( as i had it rolling around under my seat before just to test it) i will try to get some photos if anyone is interested.
Cheers.
Old 23-03-10, 09:48
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidytransporters View Post
I have had lots of emails regarding what the light's do etc here is a bit more info on them which is from our website:

Note:
The fridge is not wired via the isolator switch. The fridge will switch off when the voltage drops below 13.4 volts and the split charge relay senses this.
It is important for the fridge to be wired this way so it will operate automatically when the vehicle is running.
This explains a lot to me. As the fridge connector is the only one that comes with a fuse (and I wasnt going to install a fridge in my van) I wired my led lights up to this connector. When I flicked the isolator it didnt kill the lights and so thought it was faulty.

I have to say though that Will's customer service is second to none, top, top guy!!

P.S. I would def print out the advice from the website and put it in with every unit sold, it will make life so much easier re reducing after sales support
Old 23-03-10, 12:09
Serial Poster

yeah pics would be good!
Old 23-03-10, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W View Post
This explains a lot to me. As the fridge connector is the only one that comes with a fuse (and I wasnt going to install a fridge in my van) I wired my led lights up to this connector. When I flicked the isolator it didnt kill the lights and so thought it was faulty.

I have to say though that Will's customer service is second to none, top, top guy!!

P.S. I would def print out the advice from the website and put it in with every unit sold, it will make life so much easier re reducing after sales support
Cheers rick Yep we have now re done the instructions so its crystal clear

cheers for the feedback guys without i cant make it better
Old 23-03-10, 14:13
Van Pro
Help For Heroes

Juts wanted to say a BIG thank you to Will for answering all my bone questions, arrived today so off to Vantasias to get it fitted in a couple of weeks. Thanks again Will

Hells
Old 23-03-10, 15:44
Van Jedi

Am I correct in thinking - with the isolator switched off the VSR will continue to charge the leisure battery when the engine is running? ie. this switch is purely isolating 8 of the 10 fused outputs, leaving fuse 1 for leisure battery charging and fuse 10 for the fridge.

Also, and please excuse me for being stupid here, but did I understand you correctly that the fridge is only powered when the engine is running? ie. the fridge connected via fuse 10 is not powered from the leisure battery when the engine's off?

Surely modern day fridges can be powered from the leisure battery with the engine off, but I guess we simply use one of the other fused outputs to get around this.

Last edited by NickBab; 23-03-10 at 16:00.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in