Old 30-09-15, 07:55
Van Rookie

T5 Post Icon scammers

hi , I am searching for a t5 fully converted with pop top roof, I have come across a few on e bay on an 11 plate which seem very cheap at 18k which is my budget, although they are not a company and convert private im not sure what to make of it, they ask for a deposit of 10% for the build , im not stupid so I wont hand any money over, just wondering if anyone else has come across this? also if anyone has a van in my budget for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-09-15, 10:17
Serial Poster

Default Re: scammers

Might not be a scammer but I've seen a fair few builds done by people out the back of a garage and call themselves a 'conversion company' and in most cases they've been utter rubbish. Cheap eBay cabinets, rubbish beds, rubbish roofs, some dodgy colour coding etc. Are they gas certified? My van is a 61 plate (low mileage from the VW approved network) with a conversion done by a proper company and all in it came in at over 30k. Why are these companies doing them for 12k less?
Old 30-09-15, 10:29
Van Pro

^^^ What he said ^^^
I ummed and ahhd for months looking at cheaper options on eBay, Gumtree, local rag, etc. In the end I went with a low mileage ex VW Network 11 plate T5.1 converted in house to top quality and a few extras. 1 year warrnaty on the vehicle, 3 year warranty on the conversion, habitation certificate, V5 re-registered. Ok it was 30K, but I think you get what you pay for.
As an aside there is a very similar spec to mine on eBay at the moment for 6,600 if you want to grab a bargain!!!
Old 30-09-15, 12:24
Van Master Jedi

There was a guy on the facebook T5 Forum posting 11 plate white conversions for around that mark yesterday. CB something or other.

They seemed a bit cheap to me, even with over 100K on the clock. He didn't mention that he was a converter and at first glance it looked like a private advert. He got the MOT expiry wrong by stating 10 months, when it was actually around 7 weeks according to the DVLA website. His mobile number also Googled to several T5 campers for sale on Gumtree and Ebay over the last few months. When I questioned it, he explained the MOT date was his mistake and that he was in fact a converter, not a private seller.

After telling me this it all sounded genuine enough and made sense. I just pointed out that with the amount of scams doing the rounds, he needed to get the MOT figure accurate and explain why his contact details, appeared on several adverts for T5 campers. These were one of the first things which set alarm bells ringing on cheap T5's when I was looking.
Old 30-09-15, 14:30
Serial Poster

Have a search around on here - there were a few threads doing the rounds earlier in the year where people had been ripped off by "conversion" companies who turned out to just be fly-by-night people who thought they could get rich quick by converting battered buses with below par conversions for top money.

If you want a conversion, buy a base and do it yourself if you can or save a little longer and get one from a decent conversion company - there are enough on here - Uberbus, Celtic, Vanworx, Alpine Campers (where I got mine and Mark has been super helpful even a year down the line with my occasional texts/calls for random stuff!), Dirty Weekender etc. We saved/umm'd and arr'd about it for 18 years before getting ours and I'm glad we ended up paying what was probably top money but ended up with a bloody fantastic van.
Old 01-10-15, 05:54
Van Rookie

cheers for the advice, I did see the one on e bay 11 plate white 138k on the clock, he was from Huddersfield initials cb, he asked me for a 10% deposit for an 18k van yet couldn't provide any details of were the job was being done , time frame etc, although he did send me lots of pictures of vans in the process of conversion, hopefully he is genuine and people are not getting ripped off, I have sourced a van on an 07 plate , 108k on clock fsh , 1 owner from new, welsh coast campers have quoted me a decent price for a full conversion and re spray...with warranty
Old 01-10-15, 09:21
Vans aren't what count here...
I Support Macmillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff9 View Post
cheers for the advice, I did see the one on e bay 11 plate white 138k on the clock, he was from Huddersfield initials cb, he asked me for a 10% deposit for an 18k van yet couldn't provide any details of were the job was being done , time frame etc, although he did send me lots of pictures of vans in the process of conversion, hopefully he is genuine and people are not getting ripped off, I have sourced a van on an 07 plate , 108k on clock fsh , 1 owner from new, welsh coast campers have quoted me a decent price for a full conversion and re spray...with warranty
dont forget to do image searches with Chrome as that works well for seeing if the images have been copied for another page.

presuming that they are hosted.

Also if the Guy in OK i bet that Brickworks will know of him (Brickwerks are also in the Huddersfield area).
Old 01-10-15, 09:30
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff9 View Post
He's the guy I spotted on the Facebook group. Said it had 10 months MOT, when it had 7 weeks. His phone number appeared on several camper adverts although his ad didn't mention he was a converter.

He explained the mistake with the MOT and that he was a converter, so looks genuine enough. He seems to get a supply of ex please vans as some had very similar reg no's and converts them. Not sure on the quality, but don't think he's a scammer at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in