Old 20-02-10, 14:58   #1
HOW TO - 1.9TDI Wiring Part 2 Engine end.
penbryn penbryn is offline 20-02-10, 14:58
Rating: (4 votes - 5.00 average)

In the last part of the 1.9TDi wiring write-up I covered stripping the unnecessary wiring from the main harness and identifying the connectors etc. which need to be retained for the cabin end of the harness/loom. This time I'm going to list the stuff you should be left with at the other end of the harness i.e. under the bonnet. The pic below shows what you should be left with having removed all of the redundant wiring. As mentioned previously, I have covered all of the connectors in section A below in part 1. The remainder are

B (EGR/MAF/N75)
C (ECU)
D (Engine/Crank sensor/oil pressure/Injector pump/etc.)

So what connectors should I be left with on the engine side of the firewall?

Well as I have a Golf 3 (1997) harness, this is what I found (other vehicles will be similar if not identical). The ECU connector(s) styles may differ if you have a later donor vehicle. The one I have is a Bosch 68 pin ECU so has a single connector later ones have 2 separate connectors. Below is an illustration of the connectors (numbered 1-9) from 'C' & 'D' above at the far end of the harness you should be left with:

1) Engine Multiplug
Numerous items connected here incl. glowplugs, temperature sensors, oil pressure sensors, etc. I won't cover all of the individually connected items as this connector is large and it's purpose is fairly obvious.

2) Inlet Temperature Sensor
Black two pin connector
Pin1 = brown/blue -> analogue ground -> pin33 ECU
Pin2 = blue/yelow -> pin64 ECU

This signal is used by the ECU to determine the temperature of the aircharge entering the engine from the intercooler and is used to adjust fuelling and control other engine parameters.

3) Injector Pump Connector

Black eight pin connector (only pins 1-7 are used)
Pin1 = purple/black -> modulating piston movement sensor -> pin29 ECU
Pin2 = grey/green -> modulating piston movement sensor -> pin7 ECU
Pin3 = white/green -> modulating piston movement sensor -> pin52 ECU
Pin4 = brown/blue -> analogue ground -> pin33 ECU
Pin5 = black/yellow -> pin 23 ECU (ECU sensor supply)
Pin6 = brown/yellow -> metering adjuster -> pin49 ECU
Pin7 = yellow/black -> fuel temperature sensor -> pin63 ECU

This connector handles the fuelling and injection timing adjustments as well as the fuel temp. measurement.

4) Alternator Field Coils
Note that this should be connected to a 2 pin connector that fits the alternator, as I didn't remove the loom from my donor vehicle the person who did cut the connector off in error. Suffice to say that this should be connected to D+ on the alternator itself. The wire is plain blue and is connected to pin 3 of fusebox connector 'F' as shown below.

5) Starter Solenoid
Black single pin connector
Pin1 = red/black -> starter solenoid -> pin1 connector 'F' fusebox

This is the main switched supply to the starter solenoid and is carried from the ignition switch through the fusebox to pin1 of connector 'F'

6) Reverse Light Switch
Black two pin connector
Pin1 = black/blue -> (switched side) reversing lights -> pin7 connector 'F'
Pin2 = black/red -> +12V supply - terminal 15 via fuse S14 (10A) -> pin6 connector 'F'

Self explanatory I think.

7) ECU 68 Pin Connector
Black 68 pin locking connector
Not going to list all 68 of these but will include them later as a list for people to use if required

8) Crank Position/speed Sensor
Black three pin connector
Pin1 = black -> analogue ground -> pin33 ECU
Pin2 = blue -> crank speed sensor i/p -> pin8 ECU
Pin3 = grey -> battery ground -> pin1 ECU

This signal is used by the ECU to determine the crank speed and position. This has a direct bearing on injection timing/quantity and a number of other parameters.

9) Needle Lift Sensor
Brown two pin connector
Pin1 = grey -> pin12 ECU
pin2 = blue -> pin11 ECU

This sensor is used to calculate the actual point of commencement of fuel injection from the time difference between the signal of the needle lift and the TDC signal supplied by the crank speed/position sensor. At the same time, the ECU compares the actual point of commencement of injection with the setpoint stored in the control map and corrects any deviations from that setpoint.

At the other end of the harness and adjacent to the fusebox connectors are three other connectors shown below:

1) Boost Control Valve (N75)
Black two pin connector
Pin1 = black/yellow -> sensor supply +12V (terminal 15) -> pin23 ECU
Pin2 = red/blue -> pin47 ECU

This signal is used by the ECU to regulate boost depending on engine speed, throttle position, and other engine parameters.

2) Mass Airflow Sensor MAF
Black six pin connector (pin 4 unused)
Pin1 = red/green -> pin19 ECU
Pin2 = brown/blue -> analogue ground pin33 ECU
Pin3 = black/yellow -> sensor supply +12V (terminal 15) d -> pin24 ECU
Pin4 = N/C
Pin5 = brown -> pin23 ECU
Pin6 = brown/red -> pin13 ECU

This signal is used to measure the airflow entering the inlet. Fuel and injection timing etc. are then adjusted accordingly

2)EGR Control Solenoid (N18)
Black two pin connector
Pin1 = black/yellow -> sensor supply +12V (terminal 15) -> pin23 ECU
Pin2 = brown/white -> pin25 ECU

This signal is used by the ECU to regulate the EGR phase when the motor is at low/idle engine speeds. It is driven by a PWM signal whose duty cycle is varied depending on a number of atmospheric (baro pressure etc.)/engine conditions.

So do I need to make any other modifications to my wiring harness?

In the old engine harness you removed from the van, there is a pair of wires which are connected to the instrument cluster via a two pin inline connector on one end and the header coolant level sensor at the other. They look like this:

and these are the connectors (top = fusebox end, bottom = coolant header tank end):

You need to slice the tape open on the old engine harness and remove this part. Once you have done this, remove the bit shown above, attach it to the new TDI harness and re-connect at both ends.

A useful tip also is not to tape the stripped out TDI harness-up until you have figured out how it is routed around the T4 engine bay, when you are happy then get to work with the tape. This will allow you to take all the curves/bends in the harness in account and make the routing neater when applying your choice of tape - I used self-amalgamating tape but ordinary insulation tape is fine also.

And that's it. I welcome any information which I can use to add further detail to this guide in the form of circuit diagrams for other vehicles/ECUs so that it will in time develop into a more comprehensive source of info. Happy tdi'ing

Additional ECU pin out info:

1.9TDI 68-Pin ECU Pinout (p/ns: 028 906 02X xx)

Copied from a 1997 Golf TDI diagram – note: all pins are included below, but not necessarily used

PinColorModule desDescriptionConnected to
1BR31Ground connection in wiring harness31 (156)
2SW/GNJ285Engine Speed Signal (tachometer/DOP)G1/12 U1/6 T28/10
3  N/C 
4BR/GEN146Metering AdjusterF26 T8/6
5BR/GEN146Metering AdjusterF26 T8/6
6SW/BLJ359Low Heat Output Relay1
7GR/GNG149Modulating Piston Displacement SensorT 8/5
8WSG28Engine Speed Sensor3/2
9LI/WSMFAFuel Consumption Signal (For Multifunction Display) 
10N/C   
11BLG80Needle Lift Sensor2/2
12GRG80Needle Lift Sensor2/1
13BR/ROG70Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor6/6
14BL/BRG62Engine Temperature SensorT24/20 4/3
15WS/BLG79Throttle Position SensorT6/1
16BL/SWF220.3 Bar Oil Pressure SwitchT24/1
17WS/ROF36Clutch SwitchPin 2 Clutch Switch
18GE/RO Auto GearboxT8a/4
19RO/GNG70Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor6/1
20WS/GEF47Brake Pedal SwitchPin1 Brake Switch
21N/C   
22N/C   
23SW/GEJ317Power Supply RelayF25 G 1/10
24BR31Ground connection in wiring harness156 31
25BR/WSN18EGR Vacuum Regulator Solendoid Valve2/2
26SW/BRJ360High Heat Output Relay3
27N/C   
28BR/GRJ246AC Relay CouplingN/2
29LI/SWG149Modulating Piston Displacement SensorT8/1
30GR/WSJ52Glow Plug RelayT10/7
31BL/GE Auto GearboxT8a/7
32GR Auto GearboxT8a/6
33BR/BL31Ground connection (sensor ground)220 31
34BL/GRE45Cruise Control SwitchT4/2
35ROE45Cruise Control SwitchT4/3
36N/C   
37GN/GRF38AC Ambient Temperature Switch 
38BLK1512V ignitionG1/4 15
39RO/SW31AlternatorT2/1 31
40N/C   
41N/C   
42SW/LIJ317ECU Switched Ground for 109 Relay85 G1/7
43BL/WSVSSVehicle Speed Signal wire (VSS) TV13 W/1 U2/2 T28/7
44SW/ROM9Left Brake LightTV11 W/4 K/4 E/3
45SW/GEJ317Power Supply RelayF25 G1/10 6/87
46BR156Ground connection156 31
47RO/BLN75Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve2/1
48BL/GNK29Glow Plug Indicator LightG 2/5
49BR/GEN146Metering AdjusterF26 T8/6
50GE/BLJ52Glow Plug RelayG1/3 3/85
51BR/SWN108Cold Start InjectorT24/13 T3/2
52WS/GNG149Modulating Piston Displacement SensorT8/3
53WS/SWN109Fuel Cut Off ValveT24/12 T3/1
54N/C   
55GR/ROG79Throttle Position SensorT6/3
56N/C   
57GE/GNG79Throttle Position SensorT6/2
58N/C   
59BL/SW Auto GearboxT10/8
60GE/WSK83Malfunction Light (US only)1/1
61GR/WSOBDImmo Box 1995-> vehicles or OBD II connector (pre 1995 vehicles)OBD T16/7
62GN/WSG79Throttle Position SensorT6/5
63GE/SWG81Fuel Temperature SenderT8/7
64BL/GEG72Intake Manifold Temperature Sender2/1
65GR/BLG79Throttle Position SensorT6/4
66SW/WSE45Cruise Control SwitchT4/4
67N/C   
68SW/GEJ317109' Sensor Supply RelayF25 G1/10 6/87

KEY :WSwhite
 SWblack
 ROred
 BRbrown
 GNgreen
 BLblue
 GRgrey
 LIpurple
 GEyellow

Last edited by penbryn; 04-02-14 at 09:15.. Reason: Corrections to 'pin23'
penbryn
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent
Views: 69280
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: 1.9TDI Wiring -Part 2 Engine
20-02-10, 15:51 #2
JIMMYJAMES
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Good work fella, i might need to be doing this to mine soon so it will come in handy. Made sticky for reference

02-04-10, 17:33 #3
JIMMYJAMES
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Just a quick addition to make to this thread. With regards to the water circulation run on pump; the wiring for it is part of the radiator fan curcuit and it connects the same as it came out. When i was doing mine i was unsure of weather it would work but nothing is disconnected so technicly it should

03-04-10, 10:15 #4
penbryn
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAMES View Post
Just a quick addition to make to this thread. With regards to the water circulation run on pump; the wiring for it is part of the radiator fan curcuit and it connects the same as it came out. When i was doing mine i was unsure of weather it would work but nothing is disconnected so technically it should
The harness for the pump will remain on some vans only. If you have a 2.4D, the electric pump wiring is part of the original engine harness.

15-06-10, 17:54 #5
Foxyjay
Van Jedi

Guys I need a little leg-up please.......

Removing the loom from the van - i've tracked the loom back into the fusebox and I assume plugs (F), (G1), (G2) need to be replaced with the TDi donor versions.......

I also assume this applies to all the other wiring including the glowplug supply.

Below is one of the (G) plugs......G2 i think....
The two wires arrowed do not head out under the bonnet but instead loop back to the fusebox and connect to the black box on top of the fusebox arrowed in the second piccy.

The question is.............are these required and if so, what the fark do i need to do with them

MTIA

23-06-10, 08:40 #6
penbryn
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyjay View Post
Guys I need a little leg-up please.......

Removing the loom from the van - i've tracked the loom back into the fusebox and I assume plugs (F), (G1), (G2) need to be replaced with the TDi donor versions...
Yes - just plug the old engine harness and any associated stuff out and throw away. Plug in your new TDI harness

Quote:

I also assume this applies to all the other wiring including the glowplug supply.
Yes

Quote:

Below is one of the (G) plugs......G2 i think....
The two wires arrowed do not head out under the bonnet but instead loop back to the fusebox and connect to the black box on top of the fusebox arrowed in the second piccy.

The question is.............are these required and if so, what the fark do i need to do with them

MTIA
That box on top of the fusebox looks like the the glow controller used on some later vans and other VAG stuff (Caddy/Inca etc.) with IDI engine I think. And no, this is not required as the ECU controls glow period via the new 103 relay.

Re: HOW TO - 1.9TDI Wiring Part 2 Engine end.
22-03-11, 10:36 #7
penbryn
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Now with ECU pin-out info added

25-05-11, 16:31 #8
roverp6
Van Pro

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I am new to forums .Absolutely awesome work penbryn I am just getting my head round the wiring on my conversion while I am waiting for the gearbox to be overhauled and my VR6 clutch may as well do it right first time.
I just have a couple of questions if you dont mind one of them you have probably answered above but I could not see the pics.I think the black box refered to is what looks like a relay with the number 137 on it so that should be removed ?
I also have another relay marked 53 mounted on top of the fuse box with two red wires and black with yellow wires going to a fuse and then black with yellow going into the loom via a yellow connecter can these be removed or is the yellow black for the glow plug light.Sorry if I seem thick but I have read these posts so many times my head is spinning.

16-08-11, 15:03 #9
jase1979
Van Master Jedi

Thanks for the brilliant guide before I start. I've just bought a TDI engine, harness, ECU and pedal box (from a passat) . I've followed the guide and I'm suspicious about a black and white wire that feed into the multiplug. It seems to have been split and has two heavy black wire attached to it that I think led back to the -ve. If you look at the photo you can see that the wire has been split and joined to the heavy black wire via two blue crimp connectors. My question is, what should the black and white wire coming from the multiplug be connected to? Thanks in advance.

09-12-11, 20:27 #10
jackpac
Van Rookie

The ppl that take the time to do these threads I
Can't thank enough! I'm new to the VW/T4 thing but my conversion is nearly done
thanks to these guys!!!

Tdi power yes please!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in