Old 27-02-10, 11:39
Van Pro

Default FS - 97 Caravelle 2.4D GL Manual Berkshire

VW Caravelle 2.4 Diesel GL
Tax end August
MoT Mid September
Looking for offers around 2k or swap for a 4wd.

The Caravelle's a 96 on a P - facelift, so it's the long nose. Nebio blue, colour coded bumpers and one mirror (fitted a new one on the O/S - motor had gone) Interior is in blue diagonal stripe, captains chairs in the front, and a choice in the rear - at the moment, there's nothing in, but I've got the full width rear seat and a choice of either two individual captains or the double and single that were originally fitted. All seats match and are in pretty good condition. The interior trim is mostly there - rear parcel shelf and the covers for the hole the jack sits in and the cover for the vent fan in the boot area are missing. The body has a few scrapes and the odd dent commensurate with 196k. The sort of thing you'd expect to see on a little old lady car. There are a few scabs around the front wheel arches, but I've not found any holes. The sliding door has dropped, but I've got a replacement roller for it. Lift up tailgate. The interior is OK - not immaculate.

It drives very well - does around 34 - 36 on a run, around 31 in mixed driving. I've had it for around 18 months - bought it to use as a removals van when we moved out to let the builders move in, hence taking all the seats out of the back. It's been a general hack since then, don't think I've done more than 1500 miles in the time I've had it. Never had any problems with it, always starts first time. Good service history, cam belt and water pump done within the last 25 - 30k miles, full fluid and filter change when I bought it.
At the moment it's on five spoke 15" van rated alloys and 205/65 15 Bridgestone commercial tyres, less than 500 miles on the lot. (The photo was taken a while ago before the new wheels went on.)

Problems - apart from the general tattiness described and pictured below, the heater control is stuck in the hot position, and the radio doesn't work. Oh, and the slider doesn't always lock on the central locking - I think it would be fine when the roller is replaced.

It has a tow bar and single electrics fitted.
I've really enjoyed the Caravelle - did have thoughts of keeping it, but the dog wouldn't be able to see out of the back windows.

Given all the fun in the snow as we live in a village that's on top of a hill and doesn't get gritted, I reckon a proper 4wd might be a bit of fun...
Here you go - Not washed, no point washing anything until late spring where I live......

Alloys -

Tailgate and close up of dent

Rear bumper has some crazing on it and a scrape on the OS corner

Nearside rear wheel arch and the back of the sliding door have had a slight scrape

Blisters on the NS front wheel arch and scrape on the OS door mirror casing

Scrape on NS of front bumper

The worst damage on it is this dent on the OS sill

Blistering on the OS front wheel arch

Captains chairs

Some fraying on one arm

No aircon but separate heating and ventilation for the rear through overhead vents

Very tidy under the bonnet

Two advisories on the last MoT - slight play in the steering rack and slight play on OS and NS anti roll bar bushes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in