Old 18-12-10, 22:49
Lord of the T4s

Default Andy's 1.9 TDI Conversion AHU

Good evening guys and girls and anybody who's interested, i've decided to start my build thread to document my engine swap over the coming weeks.

To set the scene i have a p reg 1.9td ABL which has done 117k and is camper converted. I use it daily for work and at every opportunity that im not at work for surfing, camping, cycling and generally enjoying life.

Problem is as many have come across is that the 68bhp ABL in standard trim with the standard engine just isnt up to scratch so set about doing something about that. The first modification i made to make it better for the standard M5 motorway crawl was to fit a fifth gear from a golf gearbox which i found in the local scrappy. The engine had already been attacked by the vultures so wasn't worth purchasing everything at this point.

So i fitted the fifth gear to reduce the engine revs at typical motorway cruising speeds. I've also played around with the boost and fuelling on the abl but found the increased power hampered the economy which isnt the ideal solution to the problem. This only leaves changing the engine to obtain a more efficient means of producing a sensible amount of power that im after.

If not trying to produce a t4 rocket, i just want an economical t4 with a power output in the region of 120-130bhp.

So in late october i purchased a donor vehicle for the conversion. Vw golf estate cl tdi 122k miles FSH (vw up until 109k), mot till Feb for the sum of 450. AHU engine code.

Unfortunately my sisters boyfriend had a terminal engine malfunction in his own car the week after i purchased this, and seeing as i had no plans to use the car in the short term, i put the conversion on hold and lent him the golf. It was a chance to see if there's any problems with the golf, seemed fine on the way home but you can never tell from one journey.

It gave me some time to purchase all the other bits required for the conversion - sprinter intercooler and hoses (cheers mace for the hose info!)

trip to vw for the 2.5tdi pedal and bracket (x2 on both as a mate of mine is also converting his soon too )

Step one was for pience of mind really was to change the cambelt and tensioner on the golf before i lent the car. Took us 90mins to change the belt in -6 degrees (was long enough!!) and checked the timing afterwards with vagcom.

Vagcom also gave a fault code relating to the MAP sensor so may need to get a new one for the conversion.

So theres where i am!,

Im due to get me golf back next week so will be cracking on and removing the engine from the golf over xmas to then prep for a swap in the new year weather permitting.

Got a few issues with the t4 i need to address when doing the swap too,
*My clutch release bearing sounds awful, can only hear it when in neutral and its not in gear, its always been like it but it needs changing. Box is super quiet in gear and under load.
*I think my replacement clocks in the van may be from a 2.5tdi rather than a 1.9td so will need to run a feed to the clocks from the ECU or use the golf clocks.
*My heating is stuck on hot in the van, control unit is fine, cable is fine so must be the heater valve, will inspect when taking the van apart.

I also put in for my Mot early this week so i am in no rush with this conversion. It flew threw except from an advisory i was expecting which is also another reason this engine needs to go. I have a fairly productive oil leak from the abl engine. (cambelt end) camshaft seal maybe? and they advised that it could cause the cambelt to wear prematurely. (Best fit a TDI engine then!!)
Cheers

Last edited by andyd; 18-12-10 at 22:53.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-10, 00:49
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Location: Whissonsett, in sunny Norfolk. (yes there is a place with such a name)
Default Re: Andy's 1.9 TDI Conversion AHU

Good to see your off to a good start bud, if you need any troubleshooting doing post it up and the tdi boys will soon sort you out

Good luck fella
Old 19-12-10, 10:25
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Good luck with it - you won't be disappointed with the result. And as Jimmy says, you will have the advice of all the tdi people at your disposal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-12-10, 13:52
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Looks like your set to go dude The conversion is by far the best thing Ive done to my van !
So much fun to drive now, it should be more economical buy I just cant help myself

You'll love it

As you are doing the same intercooler piping setup as me, remember you need to keep the plastic bit of pipe with the inlet temp sensor in.
You just need to do a but of trimming at each end to make it fit nice, and a bit of a bend to the dip stick to make it get out the way of the pipe.
Youll also need to cut a bit off the 45mm straight pipe to fit and also a bit off one of the angled reducers, youll see when you come to fit it.

Also shaving the bottom hinge mounts off the radiator with a saw/file as its a bit tight squeezing the IC pipes round the rad.

I used a bit of foam stuck to the back edges of the IC so it didnt rub on the rad.

And with the PS cooler I cut one end, filed the mounting bracket off and used a bit of pipe as a joiner to, 1 lengthen the pipe to clear the rad nicely and 2 so that I can change the angle of the end bit of pipe to face into the engine bay so its out the way of the IC.

But like the other guys say, any probs, just put them up here and someone will be able to help you as they did me
I spent most nights after it got too dark/cold to work on the van reading over and over everyone elses conversion threads and all the other info in the tdi library. I found it very useful.

Have fun dude
Old 19-12-10, 20:38
Lord of the T4s

cheers guys, i'm sure there will be a barrage of questions along the way but i've got a few to get the ball rolling.

1. Will the cruise control stalk people fit to the 2.5tdi t4's work with my AHU engine?

2. Is it really worth getting a decat pipe? will it really make that much difference?

3. Being a 1996 van i guess i must have a fairly early form of immobiliser. I Don't think my keys have transponders or anything. Am i going to be able to get this engine running in my t4 and still keep my original barrel and key so that the vehicle is all off one key still or will i have to use the golf barrel and loom?

4. Ive also got a early 1z tdi ecu that i effectively got for free. Is this of any use to me (i.e can it be used with my immobiliser loom in the t4 if using the ahu ecu in combination with my original key isnt an option?)

5. Can i use the golf coolant expansion tank?

cheers Andy
Old 19-12-10, 20:44
Van Master Jedi

I'll start with the easy one and answer no.1:
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46543
Old 19-12-10, 20:53
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
cheers guys, i'm sure there will be a barrage of questions along the way but i've got a few to get the ball rolling.

1. Will the cruise control stalk people fit to the 2.5tdi t4's work with my AHU engine?
It's the same - so yes.

Quote:

2. Is it really worth getting a decat pipe? will it really make that much difference?
Depends - because I'm cheap I would just cut open the existing cat and remove the monolith before welding it back up again. Yes it's worth doing. The next cheapest option is to buy a 1.9TD pre-cat downpipe.

Quote:
3. Being a 1996 van i guess i must have a fairly early form of immobiliser.
Yes I think it will, but it depends on which end of '96 your van was produced

Quote:
I Don't think my keys have transponders or anything.
Yes they will if the van has an immo

Quote:
Am i going to be able to get this engine running in my t4 and still keep my original barrel and key so that the vehicle is all off one key still or will i have to use the golf barrel and loom?
Why would you have to change the key/barrel to the golf one

Quote:
4. Ive also got a early 1z tdi ecu that i effectively got for free. Is this of any use to me (i.e can it be used with my immobiliser loom in the t4 if using the ahu ecu in combination with my original key isnt an option?)
You are thinking too-hard about this. Take the old immo and all the associated wiring out of the van and throw it away - it is of no use to you for the conversion in any shape or form Forget about the spare ECU.
Old 19-12-10, 21:10
Van Master Jedi

Penbryn is working his magic again
Old 19-12-10, 21:38
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:

5. Can i use the golf coolant expansion tank?
Forgot this one. What is wrong with the T4 coolant tank?
Old 19-12-10, 21:59
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbryn View Post
Take the old immo and all the associated wiring out of the van and throw it away - it is of no use to you for the conversion in any shape or form Forget about the spare ECU.
dont be too hasty in this part - check the immob fitted to the van first ( right hand side of the clocks in both vehicles ) if they are the same unit then the wiring can be used

2 types of immob fitted one is all black and has large plugs the other is black/brown and has small plugs.

you still need to use the golf one but will save you some time pulling a loom out that you already have fitted.

if the older ECU is a 94 ish one then this will probably not have any immob circuit fitted pm me the ecu number and i will check it against the one i have - its worth saving as you can fit it at a later stage to eliminate the immob if you get issues with it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in