VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
£350 to install front fogs?

We are in the process of buying a new standard front T5 bumper to be colour coded (replacing our very badly sprayed one) and thought some front fogs would be a nice addition. We have been quoted £350 to have them fitted and wired up. Do you think this is a fair price? :*

Thanks for your opinions! T:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: £350 to install front fogs?

Picked a pair up on ebay from a shop called bargains for mates and I've seen a load advertised from Bulgaria and the like.
Cost £24 with the bumper part. Took me 2 minutes to put them in,,,,literaly!!!! The right hand one wired in within 5 mins the left hand one took about 15 mins because I struggled to get the wire through. But I was helpng my son with his van at the same time!
So I think £24 + 30 mins labour (max) is a tad better than £350!!!!!
It's easy, I just follow the links on here to get things done, haven't really got a clue otherwise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OMG :eek: - we were about to be soooooooooo ripped off! Thats so disappointing, especially as the company we got the quote from have done other work on our van and are well known for there vw conversion/mod work. Wont be going there then!

Brian Day / Yellowduke - thanks so much for the link and info. Very tempted to do ourselves now, though we really don't have a clue when it comes to the technical side of these vans! Will buy the new bumper and get it fitted and then av a go before it goes in to be colour coded! What could go worng..........LOL:

Many thanks again for your help!

(p.s. almost embarrassed to ask....what lights are the fogs wired up to? I:)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts

You need to replace the head light switch. The new switch will operate the front fogs by pulling it out (same as the rear fog) Might be able to give you a hand if you want a 2nd opinion on anything T:

·
Registered
446 Posts

350 quid to fit fog lights :eek:
Trust me it's not a hard job to do yourself (I did it and I'm rubbish at everything electrical), follow the Brickyard link as Yellowduke suggested, it's all there for you.
You can even fit them after the bumper is colour coded, just make sure that the fog light plastic covers with the hole for the fog light are done too, by this i mean cut the hole before (unless you have the covers with the hole already).
in the fog light kit you have a new switch with a front fog light position, you need to plug one of the wires in there (at a specific place, it's on the link) and the other to the frame (metal) of the van...job done all the rest is tidying up cables and fixing.

very simple and shouldn't take too long, and certainly not £350.

good luck steph

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

e30mark....you may regret saying that coz we might take you up on the offer of a second opinion! And I work in wimborne!! LOL:

exocet.....thanks for the encouragement! A: Def will give it a go ourselves! And good to know we can do after the bumper has been sprayed. Any suggestions as to where's best to buy the fog lights...have seen plenty on ebay and vanstyle but they don't come in kits. Will buy seperately if needed, just got to get the shopping list right!

Thanks for all your help guys! You have saved us A LOT of hard earned money! T:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Many thanks wiganlatic! Light switch looks perfect - will try and check part numbers to make sure!

Appreciate all the help. T:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

FRICKINELLL, I do it for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when i fit a spoiler & lights

memo to self, don't be taken advatage of!!!!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts

Light switch with front + rear fog lights - part number is probably 6Q0 941 531 C

·
Registered
367 Posts

Has anyone retrofitted fog lights to a facelift T5?

Are the fog light inserts different? I would guess so. I:

·
Registered
47 Posts

Friend of mine has the new T5 facelift with fogs. They are wired with the side lights, but have a good trick of turning on the left one when you turn the stearing to the left passed a certain point and the right one when you steer to the right.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Friend of mine has the new T5 facelift with fogs. They are wired with the side lights, but have a good trick of turning on the left one when you turn the stearing to the left passed a certain point and the right one when you steer to the right.
Sounds like that could be an expensive retrofit. :eek:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

i think they are supposed to do that, cornering lights?????, a few newer mercs etc have that????

·
Registered
51 Posts

Might be a silly question, but does the loom require a relay or not. Theres one with the loom on the brickyard instructions, but is not shown fitted.?????? As you can tell im no electrician!!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Might be a silly question, but does the loom require a relay or not. Theres one with the loom on the brickyard instructions, but is not shown fitted.?????? As you can tell im no electrician!!!
Technically I believe you don't need one but I have seen reports of the light switch getting a bit hot/warm as obviously the current supplying the fogs is running through the switch contacts.

The correct way (following current custom & practice) to do the job would be to fit a relay to supply the feed current to the fogs from the battery, this is what I did.

Basically you cut the wire in the loom that goes from the Switch to the fog lights and insert a relay, the switch is then used to activate the relay and provide the current to the fog lights.

So as well as the loom & switch you would need a relay (15-20 Amp is fine), and a length of wire (red ideally rated at about 10 Amps +) to go from the relay to the battery to supply the current which is about 8 amps if my memory serves me well, and a small bit of black or brown wire to wire one of the legs of the relay to earth/chassis, (use the screw that relay if held on with), a in-line fuse holder, a few electrical connections and a short M5 bolt (if battery positive terminal has M5 thread hole that is).

The relay is fitted just behind where the bonnet stay is inserted in the side of the engine compartment/bodywork.

I also ran my "feed" wire in some nice small bore black flexi conduit just to add some extra protection and make the job look good, but thats a personal choice.

If you unsure of how a car relay works then just google "car relay diagram" and you will see how simple a device it is.

There is a good "How to" on the brickyards forum (but I can't find the link).

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Great thread, thanks for posting Looby-Lou as I want to do our fogs too. Has answered all my queriesT: W:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts