VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Engine fault Workshop!” and flashing yellow glow plug coil?

Hi Guys,

Today I was driving and suddenly got this error.

On the display “Engine fault Workshop!” and flashing yellow glow plug coil?
VW Caravelle year 2010, 2.0 TDI 140,SE, 74000 miles done.

I think I’m going to book a diagnostic scan tomorrow in VW but was wondering if this could be something bad?
Can I drive the car until being diagnosed?

Car is driving well no problems.

Anybody in Somerset with software to help?

Best

Woj

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Re: “Engine fault Workshop!” and flashing yellow glow plug coil?

Hey woj, I've just got this fault on my 2010 van.

I've plugged it in and my fault stems from a dodgy exhaust temp sensor.

£150 + VAT I'm told for the part .....fortunately mines still under the dealers warranty so I'm hoping they honour the cost of the repair .

·
Special Rapporteur
8,614 Posts

On a 2010 van you would have to bet on it being either a DPF sensor or the EGR valve (the latter being a very well known issue on 2010/2011 vans). Neither should be a major issue if you don't have far to drive, but both will probably stop the DPF from regenerating, so you wouldn't want to do 100's of miles like it.

Of course there are quite a few other things it could be - hopefully it won't be too expensive when they find the fault...

·
Special Rapporteur
8,614 Posts

I confess I don't know the full history of the part, but I believe that the facelift's EGR has been revised once, and possibly twice. The first revision appears to have been in around 2012 - hence the low reliability of those on 2010/11 vans.

I'm just waiting for mine to have its turn, and hoping it lets go before the warranty is up...

·
Registered
256 Posts

The most recent update is part number 03L 131 512 DS, but they do still fail at anytime over 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi,

Thank you for help.I will get it scanned asap.

Regards

Woj

·
Registered
35 Posts

Hi,

Regards

Woj
Hi mate i had this fault about about two months ago on my 61 plate t5, i had it scanned and it was and exhaust sensor mate cost me £92 fitted at Volkswagen Breeze Poole. hope you get this sorted!

·
Registered
56 Posts

Had same problem on my 2013 van last week at 22,000 miles. Was the exhaust Temp sensor. Fixed under warranty by VW main dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi,

Regards

Woj

HI Guys,

Thank you for help.

The next day the glow plug coil and engine fault workshop errors have gone but the DPF icon appears on dashboard and stayed all the time.
So i went on motorway as per manual and drove the car on the 4th gear above 70km/h for about 20 min and DPF icon has gone now.So all good.

Could this be somehow related? this two errors?

I had it scanned and no errors related to this were detected today .Had some old error but related to the door lock,had to be some old one as i don't have any problems.

Woj

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys,
Having this problem on my 2013 T5, But not constant, only when engine is under load or coasting down hills. when driving steady no coil light flashes.

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Hey Guys,
Having this problem on my 2013 T5, But not constant, only when engine is under load or coasting down hills. when driving steady no coil light flashes.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Get a cheap OBD reader it will pay for itself the first time you use it .
We had the same symptoms on our van it flashed up the coil light a few times but cleared with turning ignition off and back on , then it was constantly lit but would clear with the obd tool ...then eventually it went it to limp home .
It turned out to be exhaust gas temp sensor (number 3 from memory).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts