VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought myself a BLUETTI EB55

I was going to fit a leisure battery but decided that this would do all I need plus it's portable if needed.

What I need is advice on fitting a solar panel to the roof of the van. It can be up to 200W

Are the stick on ones better than the solid ones?
Are ones on Ebay any good?
Any recommendations

Thanks Swanny
:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Solar set up.

2013 T5.1. I have two 150W semi-flex solar panels. 3mm thick and light weight – attached with 3M High Bond tape; no holes in roof. From Bimble solar.

2x110Ah leisure batteries (1 under each single front seat).

50A Battery to battery combined charger and solar controller (Kisae Technology ABSO DMT1250/FK5). The Ring RSCDC30 B2B MPPT is also good.

This is plenty for my Waeco CRX fridge, lights, inverter etc.

This is spec’ed for winter levels of sunlight (fridge has been on for 23 months with this) and not driven every day. I do not have electric hook-up but ran the necessary cable from the engine compartment should I wish to install in the future.

Cetek unit has limits on voltage input which can narrow the choice of panels and wattage.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My dear ollll. :D ............why not go portable solar rather than roof.see the main benefit of a roof set up to my unlearned eye is constant topping up of both van batt and leisure batt...it's a certain amount of hassle fitting atop a roof that said I've gone there mind eventual game plan is portable as well to suppliment the 150 I stuck to the top....... bud if ya only need a bit of power and on a red hot day ya don't want to park the bus in full sun.why not go with a more flexible option.see how I did that😂

Hi,
not sure if I'm in the right place, but re solar panels. Does anyone know of someone/somewhere in Warwickshire that installs them, and roughly how much it would cost?
Thanks
I'm in worcs I've got a 150W from these guys............https://www.solartechnology.co.uk/
Maybe give them a shout...they supply the trade ..well they told me that they do and lot's of converters just bond a new panel over the top of the old failed one....which made me jaw drop.but they must know of some good un's..........??? ;)

take care both

stu

·
Registered
53 Posts
My dear ollll. :D ............why not go portable solar rather than roof.see the main benefit of a roof set up to my unlearned eye is constant topping up of both van batt and leisure batt...it's a certain amount of hassle fitting atop a roof that said I've gone there mind eventual game plan is portable as well to suppliment the 150 I stuck to the top....... bud if ya only need a bit of power and on a red hot day ya don't want to park the bus in full sun.why not go with a more flexible option.see how I did that😂

I'm in worcs I've got a 150W from these guys............https://www.solartechnology.co.uk/
Maybe give them a shout...they supply the trade ..well they told me that they do and lot's of converters just bond a new panel over the top of the old failed one....which made me jaw drop.but they must know of some good un's..........??? ;)

take care both

stu
Hi, thanks for that, I appreciate your time! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've bought myself a BLUETTI EB55

I was going to fit a leisure battery but decided that this would do all I need plus it's portable if needed.

What I need is advice on fitting a solar panel to the roof of the van. It can be up to 200W

Are the stick on ones better than the solid ones?
Are ones on Ebay any good?
Any recommendations

Thanks Swanny
:)
Hi, I've just clicked on the link. It comes up with $499? A little confused as to where you bought it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi All,
I've been digesting all your comments re - Solar panels.As I'm not particularly technically minded or physically able (won't bore you with the details!), If I go down the portable route, I'm assuming that the solar panel would have to have some direct contact with the leisure battery/wiring system? Some kind of connection point?
If this is the case, how easy would it be for me to do? or in the long run would it be better to get a local Auto Electrician to do it?
Sorry if you've already answered this question!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 60w foldable solar panel bought from fb marketplace for £60 and that has a controller with a lead built in that has a 12v cig socket or can swap it to crocodile clips.
I use the cig socket as its nice and easy to plug in and also pack away

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
they we go
Hi,
Thanks for the photos. I'm probably just being dim, but I'm assuming the photo without the panels, is of the connection/port, which goes to some point in the vehicle? if this is the case, where does it go to and how easy was it to fit?
I'm also assuming the panels aren't permanent?
Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
the panels are fixed to the roof bars and the connection is underneath with 2x gromets through the roof
the panels are there full time to charge the batteries and for the fridge

·
Registered
830 Posts
Panel goes to a solar charge controller Q piccy from.................. ta daaaaa ( soz buddy )........ @ To-be-frank .......solar charge contoller connects to batt.....

Val ya need to get ya head down an do some reading or watching.try Will Prowse on you tube mate(y)

·
Registered
830 Posts
(y) Thank you bro..........ahh mate I so wanted 2 150 W panels and that MPPT.but couldn't afford at the time.mind probably for the best as it would have scuppered me SB malarky.just too big

1 - 18 of 18 Posts