VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have google searched for leaking genuine side windows, seems to be all t5 results that come up !

My sliders are leaking on both sides where the sliding pane meets the fixed pane. After noticing wet patch on door card..dad and I did the hose pipe test and at the join it comes between the two panes but only at the very bottom...lets in a surprising amount when it rains though and has led to mouldy carpet !

Any ideas for a fix ? Guessing new seals aren't available anymore ? I really would like to keep them rather than replace them with fixed glass or non genuine ones !

Any advice much appreciated..ta in advance !

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi all have google searched for leaking genuine side windows, seems to be all t5 results that come up !

My sliders are leaking on both sides where the sliding pane meets the fixed pane. After noticing wet patch on door card..dad and I did the hose pipe test and at the join it comes between the two panes but only at the very bottom...lets in a surprising amount when it rains though and has led to mouldy carpet !

Any ideas for a fix ? Guessing new seals aren't available anymore ? I really would like to keep them rather than replace them with fixed glass or non genuine ones !

Any advice much appreciated..ta in advance !
Some not all of the factory window parts are available. Not in the right place to check just now, but what do you think you would need to replace?

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,170 Posts
A lot of people seem to "fix" their leaks by squeezing silicon in the drain holes. Yup, that'll really fix it! :(

(so might be worth checking if they are clear?)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Some not all of the factory window parts are available. Not in the right place to check just now, but what do you think you would need to replace?
sounds to me as though the seal on the rear edge of slider has gone, allowing water to get in between the two panels of glass

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
sounds to me as though the seal on the rear edge of slider has gone, allowing water to get in between the two panels of glass
That's not really a seal (VW call it a clamping profile), always a gap at both ends as it's slightly shorter than the glass. Sure if it was missing it would allow water in.

Mine was missing when I took delivery, and I drove for a while until one was obtained. Just checked it was fitted 11.01.2000, so unless just gushing in the problem sounds a bit deeper :*:*

If required it is still available, 701 847 705 current retail inc VAT £28.93; almost three times the price it was in 2000 (VW paid anyway as it was done under warranty) ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies, i suspect it could be the clamping profiles..they only leak at the very bottom though...i have checked that the drain holes are all clear. I have found another leak this time at the front corner…there is a tiny join in the aluminium profile that seems barely there, but when water is directed at it it allows water in for sure…think i can seal that with a small amount of tiger seal or sika.

The clamping profiles do you know if they are simply pushed on to the glass or are they bonded in place as they seam pretty stuck on ! Also i can't quite work out how to get the sliding panel out..will i need to remove the window frame from the van to dismantle it on the bench ?

cheers all !

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
The clamping profiles do you know if they are simply pushed on to the glass or are they bonded in place as they seam pretty stuck on.
I was with Dave the tech at the van centre back in 2000, when he fitted it ................. I can tell you it is just a 'push' fit. I would have done it myself, but it was a warranty repair; so thought if anything breaks it's down to them T:T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts