VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what is says on the tin? who thinks what about what van. I have had a 1.9tdi and a 2.5tdi. don't know if this thread has been done before so tell me to wind my neck in if it has LOL:

Let me get the ball rolling T:

PRO's 1.9 over 2.5 = Cheaper to fix

CON's 1.9 over 2.5 = Limited to about 75mph with out the engine screaming

Lets have um guys, seriously considering changing back to a 1.9. Help change my mind I:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm on my second 1.9TD, I bought the first and loved it, cheap to run, cheap to fix. Took me all over Europe without missing a beat. Then I lost my job and had to sell up. Thought when I come back to it I'll upgrade to a 2.5TDI. I'm back in a 1.9TD because having test driven and looked into the cost of the 2.5's i just thought it wasn't worth it. Also I get 40mpg and will in time do the 5th gear mod so my cruising speed will improve. Cant grumble at all. I'm not saying the 1.9 is better, I'm just saying it fitted the bill. The 2.5TDI is a lovely engine and people will inevitably end up in whatever they can afford.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm on my second 1.9TD, I bought the first and loved it, cheap to run, cheap to fix. Took me all over Europe without missing a beat. Then I lost my job and had to sell up. Thought when I come back to it I'll upgrade to a 2.5TDI. I'm back in a 1.9TD because having test driven and looked into the cost of the 2.5's i just thought it wasn't worth it. Also I get 40mpg and will in time do the 5th gear mod so my cruising speed will improve. Cant grumble at all. I'm not saying the 1.9 is better, I'm just saying it fitted the bill. The 2.5TDI is a lovely engine and people will inevitably end up in whatever they can afford.
This man says it all.

I have 2.5tdi Multivan and love it to bits. Good power and economy and easy cruising as well as pulling a big Caravan when I want...like to Vanwest in the morning...:D

But before this I had a 2.4d Caravelle...and guess what..I loved it. Not as fast or as powerful, but it always got me there and sat on the motorways and Autoroutes with no hassle. The added bonus is that being older technology, there is less to go wrong and if it does its easy to fix.

Not experienced the 1.9 but would think like the 2.4 for fixing.

So I love my 2.5tdi...but with the price of fuel, I drive it easy and get 43mpg...so you will find me sitting along side a 1.9 on a motorway anyway...:eek: So go with what you are happy with...its a T4 :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts