VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now spent a week trawling for any snippets of info to clarify exactly how to time the pump on my van but got no where. I am a competent home mechanic but never timed an engine before from scratch.

Having just fitted a new fuel pump to my ABL engine I would like to check the process on timing it. All the info I have found seem to relate to the older version of this pump commonly found on the AAZ where the can be timed through moving it on its mounts. I have the fixed pump (so doesn't move on its mounts). I have been through the same process except timing the pump by turning the spindle with the pulley slackened off (vernier style pulley). The only thing that leaves me feeling slightly uncomfortable is that once the pump is timed, the locking holes on the spindle/pump body no longer line up when the crank/cam are at tdc.

I have read and heard conflicting things, some suggest the pump should be timed like the AAZ, with belt fitted, inserting the dial with 2mm of preload, rotating engine anti clockwise until dial stops moving, zero the gauge, rotate clockwise back to tdc, take reading and adjust to 1.0 +/- 0.2mm. Others suggest not to turn engine anti clockwise and to go clockwise from the off.

I'm sure I am probably over complicating this completely but having not done it before I'd just like to make sure everything is right.

Any help on clarifying this would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Strange that your pump doesnt move on its mounts, the few I've done have had some adjustment on the slotted holes. Anyway you will need to set up the lift as you say and then bolt the pulley on, unfortunately making the timing holes line up isn't really possible with out adjustable mounting as I doubt the cambelt teeth will line up as well

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply James, I was also thinking of the next person that comes to change the belt won't be able to lock the pump off. Like you say cam belt teeth don't line up either...I tried all combinations I could think of, moving the belt forward 1 tooth then 2 teeth, same back but it seems that is all good. I'm pretty sure when I changed the belt last year I could lock the old pump off fine so its strange I can't do the same on this one, unless it would require moving the hub plate behind the pulley...that starts to get beyond me then I think

·
Registered
120 Posts
So does the new pump have a 2 piece pulley with slotted holes? You must have a way of fine adjusting as I doubt you could get it bang on without some minor adjustments. When you tension the belt the timing figure could move.
Would be a nightmare when changing the cambelt etc!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a photo I took the other day of the Pump with the pulley off, weirdly the rear mount is slotted but the front three are not so it doesn't move. Maybe it is just how it is...I'm just a bit unsure as it doesn't quite seem right that its not possible to lock it all off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ah ok so the adjustment is on the 2 piece pulley, was that pump off a abl?
Did you take the black bit off the pump? If not just pin that then leave the 3 bolts loose stick the belt on with the pulley all the way round clockwise. Tension the belt and bolt up the 3 adjustment bolts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy as that?

As far as I know yes, its a bit of an unknown quantity but the bloke I bought it from told me it was running fine before on an ABL and its identical to the one that has come off my ABL. He hadn't pinned the spindle though and it has now been turned a few times...should that make a difference? I'm guessing it has 4 cycles and when pinned it should be firing on number 1 right?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fairly straightforward unless you want to get into exact dti timing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts