VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to oil burners so had a go at tuning.
Its never going to be fast but was pleased with the results.
First off i blanked the egr valve off.
Then fitted a decat(ebay)
Fitted boost gauge
backed tickover screw right off
Turned fuel up(ticksover at 975rpm)
Turned boost up to 13psi
I know its all been said before but im made up with how it drives-quicker,smoother.
The best thing is it no longer chucks out a cloud of smoke first start of the day:)

Will see how the mpg goes and proberly fit a IC soon.
I know i could up the boost and fueling more but hey im happy for now,its a camper after all.

Chris
:ILU:

Thanks to this site for all the info for above.

P.S cost in total £60 and 3 hours ish

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
nice one mate glad your happy:)

yeah its good when summat works,,,ive noticed it smokes a tad to say the least more on first start up but ive been using the diesel redX stuff for abit to give her a good clean out so for now iam gunna put it down to that,,,ive turned the fuel screw back a tiny bit & i think its better

before the mods i were driving her like driving Miss daisy & we were getting 35 to 38 at a push max "40" mpg
now i drive her harder as she is more fun now & we can know probs get 35/40mpg thats without trying at all,,,i do think there is more room for inprovement on the power sideT:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
What kind of smoke are you getting on start up?? If it's white/grey, then that's unburnt fuel - which might be a pump timing issue, or glow plugs on their way out......

13psi is fine - it's all relative and depends where you started :)

The gains, given they cost next to nowt, are superb - and if you ever take them for granted, just turn the fuel and boost back down to 'standard' for an hour or so - you soon get to appreciate the difference!!! A:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So-cal psi was 10 before mods so all healthy,the only negative thing is there will be a fight to who's driving it on family trips:D

Chris

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
So-cal psi was 10 before mods so all healthy,the only negative thing is there will be a fight to who's driving it on family trips:D

Chris
Yep - there's a world of change from 10-13psi - as long as the fuelling is suited to the extra boost.....

In all honesty, the changes from 13+ are less noticeable, and in my experience (as I wrote elsewhere) come with cheques and balances, in terms of economy, idle rpm and lag.

I'm currently back down at 12psi, although I think a pound or so more will come back once I've got some new jubilee clips on the small boost pipes.... :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
ive done pp myself it does drive loads better still got to do a de cat pipe but now i have a really anoying blow somewere sounds tapity cant work out where its coming from :( but ive done 3000miles on pp so far no probs and noticably better fuel consuption T:

·
Registered
329 Posts
if I play with the actuator to up the boost, will I need to take it for a drive to check the results, or will revving it stationary give me a correct figure?
If i boot it when parked, I briefely hit my max boost currently - 8psi just wondered whether I need to take it on a run to check it out once fiddled with...

thanks

ps how do you get that nut off the fuel adjuster??!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deffo get the van warmed up and go for a spin to check max psi.
The anti-tamper thingy on the fuel screw was a git to remove:(
Took me ages to get it off.I just wedged a small screwdriver in the gap and bent it and gave it a bash with a hammerI:
Took me 30mins to remove it and nearly gave up:D
Good luck:ILU:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Great thanks for that info guys, the missus is working saturday, so I get to play all day :)
reckon it might be worth fixing that coolant leak first tho ;-) hopefully its the t piece on the side of the block!

cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep I've done the mod, it's boosting a little hi at the minute but if I back off the fuel screw that should sort that out.
Ive got the same coolant leak I think. Runs down the hose from the front of the block, is it easy enough to sort?
Sorry for hijacking this post

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm pretty new to this type of engine modding, so I dont really understand how the fuel adjustment affects the boost?
Am I just lacking a fundamental understanding of turbos ? :)

If what I have read on here is correct, which i'm sure it is, then changing that coolant t pipe bit is pretty straight forward...

im gonna pop down to the dealer tomorrow and pick up a replacement one, and I'll try to document changing it if thats any help...

cheers

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:)
What rpm do all you pp'd ABL's running at tickover and what's the best oil to use in the ABL engine?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I have no tacho, so no idea on tickover.

It's lower than I used to run it at, that's for sure, as it always sounded a bit too racey for me at idle....

But I guess you can just run the idle at whatever you can live with....

As for oil - cheap stuff for the first change (and I do mean cheap) and then something half decent semi-synth for the 2nd change.

But I don't pay over the odds for all this branded stuff - regular oil changes with cheap stuff does it for me...........:)

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Mines running 15psi with intercooler and the AAZ pump and its a rocket ship. It actually spins up in first and second gear in the damp if you boot it. Overtaking is a doddle now and you dont even have to change gear! The AAZ pump makes a huge difference and the idle is normal too T:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
JJ - send me the details again on what to look for on the mechanical pumps..... I need to do this one day, only I don't want to end up with the wrong one.

Can't find the original info you posted :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
iv never looked down the pp route as its never bothered me but mine is a 1.9td abl iv got a egr blanking kit but cant find any how to pics on here for the 1.9td im also getting a decat pipe next week as i have a hole in my exhaust just after the cat. i have a boost guage so is there any pics and info on how you alter the boost and fueling?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts