VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just had the head off following major breakdown last week.

One of the valves has failed (spring or valve guide) and got caught between head and cylinder welding the two together and writing off the engine. ( FYI The squealing it made was the cam pully rotating against the camshaft, because the two are a tapered fit with no woodruf key, as per my previous post)

I need a new ADL engine for my 2000 1.9 (50th anniversary edition, really want to keep it on the road) if anyone has any suggestion I would be grateful.

Pictures uploaded so you can all share my joy!

Ian

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine :eek: I would take this opportunity to convert to TDI power!!!! Follow the link below for everything you need to know T: finding an ABL engine will be very difficult. Good luck T:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got an abl engine in bits in the garage, and I'm sure many TDI converts have still got there old lumps lying around?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, I wonder if there are any TDI coverts out ther with a 1.9 ABL engine in the garage?

Come on, own up, it's only getting in the way and you'll trip over it and hurt youself!

My last T4 was a 2.5 TDI, went like the proverbial as well, drunk driver made sure it didn't make 150,000 miles, that engine was a write off as well.

Ian

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a question, does the fact that it is the 50th anniversary edition make it worth saving any more than if it was a standard van?

It has side doors on both sides, electric mirrors and windows, remote central locking and a fitted load area rubber mat and a step into the rear compartment. I still have all the original paperwork and full service history, I've only had it since November.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts