VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Hope i've posted this in the right place as coudn't see a section on fuel but here goes.

I've done a search and found lots of conflicting info so thought i'd ask this...

I'm running 1.9D engine in my t4 and have recently used veg oil in my golf mk3 tdi AAZ.

Just wondered if i'm ok using veg in this engine as some sources say its only the turbos that can use it??

If I can use veg i'm assuming I can use bio diesel too?

If so what are the legalities surrounding this? I've heard about the 2500 litres before decleration scenario but i've also read while being a member of club 80-90 as a t3 owner that loads of peoples vans have been compounded due to tank dipping and the authorities finding veg oil being used.

Can anybody clear this up for me? Cheers Jud.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
New regs are 2500 litres veg oil per person allowed to be used as road fuel before any tax is due.

Keep receipts and log of what's bought/used and when. No idea if anyone will ever check it. But if they do at least you will be prepared.

Look on HMRC website for confirmation though, don't take my word for it as it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol basically if you use it you've got to register for duty on it with hmrc and you have to pay the same rate as bio diesel. in other words they're bumming you without a bag all roads up!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
New regs are 2500 litres veg oil per person allowed to be used as road fuel before any tax is due.

Keep receipts and log of what's bought/used and when. No idea if anyone will ever check it. But if they do at least you will be prepared.

Look on HMRC website for confirmation though, don't take my word for it as it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong.
This is interesting news as I run on/off with veg oil, I wonder how they would know how much you have actually used ? I sometimes run with 4 gallon diesel, 8 litres oil, or maybe 12, really depends I use it to top up a gallon or so for a bit extra mileage at cheaper motoring etc so how would VOSA exactly know what I have used

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
so how would VOSA exactly know what I have used
They wouldn't, but no different to the VAT man not knowing when people work for cash occasionally I suppose ?

You keep your own records for inspection if asked. They will be happy with that I would imagine (unless they can PROVE otherwise)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No you don't.

2500 litres/year/person TAXFREE.
CONFIRMATION......

4.2.1 Exempt producers/users
If you have produced or used less than 2,500 litres of:

■any biofuel, or
■any other fuel substitute or additive
within the last 12 months, and/or expect to produce or use less than 2,500 litres in the next 12 months, you are an exempt producer and do not need to register with us and account for duty. However, there are simple record keeping requirements, which are described in paragraph 4.9.1.

Production includes the manufacture or processing of road fuel, and the setting aside of any product that has not been charged with duty, with the intention of using it as road fuel.

RECORDS

4.9.1 Exempt producers’ records
If you are an exempt producer (as defined in paragraph 4.2.1) you only need to record and keep the following information:

■the date of each supply and/or own use
■the amount in standard litres of each supply or own use.
You should check the amounts produced at the end of each month. If you have produced 2,500 litres or more in the last 12 months, or expect to produce 2,500 litres or more in the next 12 months, you must contact us within 30 days to register your premises as described in paragraph 2.5.

so its chip fat all the way for me! A:

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi, i'm new to the t4 forum but i've been running various cars on bio diesel and s/wvo for years.

its perfectly legal and you have a 2500l per year tax free

the long and the short of it is this:

any diesel engine will run on well made biodiesel regardless of age, fuel pump, common rail etc etc although some older cars (pre 94) need fuel pipes changing.

older engines i.e. not common rail will run on veg oil some will need modification.

if you have a bosch fuel system (which i believe most of the recent vw engines have) then your fuel pump will cope with pretty much no mods although you need to blend you wvo with derv and petrol.

most people, regardless of fuel pump run a twin tank system in which you start the car on a seperate diesel tank and then switch over to veg when the engine is up to temp and the veg is heated up to 60 degrees using a heat exchanger.

people will tell you it doesnt work, dont believe them!

it is hard work though and you need to be mechanically minded. you cant just go to tesco anymore and buy some sunflower oil off the shelf as its the same price as diesel. collecting oil is messy and there is legislation to watch out for and paper to push. my garage is a greasy hole and im always in there playing with my filtering systems and processors. on the plus side i drove down to france in jan and achieved 212mpg!

www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

thats the forum i use and they will tell you everything you need to knowT:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts