VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,i have a dead glow plug so i was looking into the possibility of changing them myself. I was wondering if anybody here has changed them by themselves and if there is a picture guide ect to get me started. I have read that its a tough job on the 2.5 but nobody has mentioned the 1.9 version. Any help/pictures/advice much appreciated. T:
found out it was gone cos the engine gas light came on???

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
The 2.5 glowplugs are much easier th change than the 1.9 even though there is 5 of them.On the 1.9 they are a diferent type and point in a slightly diferent direction.The busbar(electrical connectors) are held on with a 8mm nut that can be fidly to remove then once they are off you can remove the busbar,the actual glowplugs are 12mm spanner size and can be awkward to get to because there are many thing in your way.A reputable garage should charge no more than 1.5 hours maximum for doing the job plus the price of the glowplugs.

You mentioned the gas light,i assume you mean the glowplug light? This can come on for a number of reasons on the later model T4's something as simple as a failed stop light bulb can bring it on.

If your van starts fine when the engine is cold it wont be the glowplugs at fault,book it in at a garage for them to check it over with a diagnostic machine preferably vagcom T:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey aggie, thanks for that,.So, this started when i was on hols in germany and the exhaust gas circulation light came on-went to VW and they made a diagnosis and told us the glow plug was dead, by the way, my van is a T5,not a T4, its 2007 kombi. Had a 2.5 130 T5 before this and those plugs are nasty to change. Think we are talking about different model van :*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts