VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all just how sluggish are the none turbo 1.9 diesels brother inlaw is lookin for t4 he has been offerd a none turbo 1.9 just a bit worried its going to be sluggish going to do a bit of a day van conversion wont be carrying massive weight
apart from a little fettle on the fuel screw can not think of much that can be done on a budget other than a turbo conversion
any one with one how do you find them T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1.9d & they are no race car but pulls along fine & will do 70mph (just) it's not about speed,best to test drive one & see if it's adequate.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had one for 3 years, they're the easiest engine to work on. They will get you up to 70mph 5th gear mod to reduce the noise would be a good investment. Just learn to drop down a gear early on when going up a hill, they're not fast on an incline,but our one travelled through Wales and Devon ok. Depends on what you want but don't just dismiss it and you can always upgrade the lump if desired later on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had one for two yrs.. Was my first t4 and i liked it, but the reason i don't have it now is i couldn't stand driving it everyday, it had nothing at all.. long journeys were ok, as it cruised well on flat ground, but using it to just 'nip' to the shops got tiring and really annoying.
I have a 1.9td now and its much better at 'nipping' but still not much go tbh! But on the plus side every thing for them is cheap, including buying them. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mines not to bad, its slow when you first pull away but once your moving its great.
its a very realiable engine and so cheap to look after.
If i run it on 50% sunflower oil it makes it much better.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mines a non turbo 1.9d and it's fine.

A couple of years ago it did 2,000 miles in just under 2 weeks as a fully loaded support van from Manchester to john O groats to lands end and back to Manchester. It coped fine with hills and keeps up with other traffic no problem.

Having said that though, I have got a tdi engine to swap in when I get a weekend spare, but the only reason I'm doing the swap is so I can use the van for towing.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I get around 38 mpg using veggie oil and diesel rhino. The only mod I have done is a stainless exhaust to it goes alright. Its not going to set your pants on fire but im passed that stage

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have no idea on mpg. I've never kept track of it.

However, the original clutch popped at 272,000 miles and shortly after I rebuilt the leaking injector pump (cost me £23 for genuine Bosch parts!!) because the idiots that changed the clutch damaged the pump with a strap they were using to support the engine.

Then about a year later the original exhaust needed to be replaced.

Rebuilding the pump and fitting a new exhaust that wasn't clogged with soot completely transformed the van. More torque, more power and much smoother to drive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its never going to go fast, but once up to speed i go round corners as fast if not faster than most !!! I have had mine nearly six years bought it with 18000 full serice history its now got 26300 and goes well. 42 to the gallon with veggie mix and best ever run was 750 on one tank. Last year we whent fro Swansea to Wick on one tankful. Love my van somtimes wish it did accelerate a bit faster but i cant have everything. Turn up the music and cruise.
Oh and on the two occasions i have broken down ,fanbelt and battery. The AA man has never met such two chilled amigoes in distress .Kettle on book out and chill tillhe turned up.T:T:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Totally agree with the cruising, I sometimes hate coming to the end of a long trip because I want to listen to some more tunes! :D I've been driving a car a lot recently and I don't like it.. :(

Over 40mpg for long trips under 40 for urban driving. Sometimes run veg oil with a bit of 2 stroke in especially on a trip up to Edinburgh or the like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts