VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We are located on Somerset and looking to purchase a T4, preferably 2000 onwards and ideally a 5 seat option. We have heard that the 1.9TDi is far more 'thirsty' than the 2.5TDi. Can anyone clarify this please?
Also, any other sites to lok at apart from Ebay/Piston Heads/ this one?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

I've had both a 1.9TD and currently have a 2.5TDi

There are two different versions of the 2.5TDi, one has an intercooler strapped to the top of the engine as is 102bhp and the other doesn't and is 88bhp

The 88bhp has a blue i on the TDi badge, where as the 102bhp model has a completely silver badge.

The 1.9TD isn't a bad little engine but in it's standard form is a little slow. You can easily modify it for more power but fuel economy then decreases I find.

In standard form, the 1.9TD and the 2.5TDi are pretty much the same for MPG.

If i was given the choice now having had both, I'd opt for the 2.5TDi as its quieter and smoother.

That said the 1.9TD is MUCH cheaper to maintain. I've just paid nearly £800 to have the cambelt changed and a full service. This cost just £270 on my 1.9TD

When looking for a van make sure the cambelt has been changed in the last four years or 60k miles. if it has, on the 2.5TDi model it also should have had the waterpump changed.

On the 1.9TD the water pump is not so crucial as it doesn't run off the cambelt.

Good service history is pretty important on these vans, but as long as they have been serviced regularly then they'll do hundreds of thousands of miles it seems.

I hope that is of some help, if you are considering a 1.9TD then also consider the 2.4 as apparently it's not a bad engine either.

Oh one final thing, if you want Aircon on a van, make sure you buy one with it as it costs thousands to add at a later date. Where as things like electric windows, cruise control (on the 2.5TDi) sunroofs, central locking etc. are all under £300 jobs.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a 1999, 1.9TD from new that was cosseted, I religiously topped it at each fill and recorded the mileage and MPG, driving quite carefully, looking back at my diary 9yes I know I'm sad :) )most weeks it was doing 33-35mpg, during the fuel strike, which seems so long ago when except essential people, nurses and the like, every one was rationed, I drove even more carefully, then I was getting 37MPG.

I now have a 2003, 2.5 TDI 88bhp, driving normally I get 39-41mpg, driving even more carefully I can get it up to 43mpg, doesn't matter how light I am on the go pedal, it just won't go above 43mpg, perhaps that's the ceiling for my van.

Living in Cornwall helps I think since I rarely sit in traffic, mostly I'm cruising along between 40 and 50mph and then 60mph on the A30.

Even with a blast up to Devon and back when I'm in a hurry it's still sitting around 39mpg.

Like Tom, I'd always opt for the 2.5TDI over the 1.9TD, driving is much more relaxed, less gear changes and less noise form the engine.

:)

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Strewth Tom! were you talking to Daz whilst you where up there...you appear to have suddenly got some knowledge.....

or did you buy the I spy book of t4's..I:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

I've had both a 1.9TD and currently have a 2.5TDi

There are two different versions of the 2.5TDi, one has an intercooler strapped to the top of the engine as is 102bhp and the other doesn't and is 88bhp

The 88bhp has a blue i on the TDi badge, where as the 102bhp model has a completely silver badge.

The 1.9TD isn't a bad little engine but in it's standard form is a little slow. You can easily modify it for more power but fuel economy then decreases I find.

In standard form, the 1.9TD and the 2.5TDi are pretty much the same for MPG.

If i was given the choice now having had both, I'd opt for the 2.5TDi as its quieter and smoother.

That said the 1.9TD is MUCH cheaper to maintain. I've just paid nearly £800 to have the cambelt changed and a full service. This cost just £270 on my 1.9TD

When looking for a van make sure the cambelt has been changed in the last four years or 60k miles. if it has, on the 2.5TDi model it also should have had the waterpump changed.

On the 1.9TD the water pump is not so crucial as it doesn't run off the cambelt.

Good service history is pretty important on these vans, but as long as they have been serviced regularly then they'll do hundreds of thousands of miles it seems.

I hope that is of some help, if you are considering a 1.9TD then also consider the 2.4 as apparently it's not a bad engine either.

Oh one final thing, if you want Aircon on a van, make sure you buy one with it as it costs thousands to add at a later date. Where as things like electric windows, cruise control (on the 2.5TDi) sunroofs, central locking etc. are all under £300 jobs.

Cheers

Tom
,,hi guys we have a 2001 1.9TD "Blue i" as standard i was lucky to get 38MPG & that's with really trying now ive done the small "Cheap Mods" i can drive it how i like & easy get 40MPG,,don't reckon a 2.5 will get any where near that,,i love our 1.9 & ive often wondered what 2.5 would be like but when i speak to folk who have had both they always prefer the 1.9 due fuel,easy to work on reliable,& so on,,,,,,the one mod ive done that as really made the bottom/mid range tonnes better is in my public view "Complete Exhaust Modification" & its easy to do 2" inner bore pipe right from the opened up very restricted front pipe flange,,,hope this helps

·
Registered
747 Posts
On my 1.9TD that I owned I average 39MPG over the summer months of 2005 measured over the 4000 odd miles I kept a record. There wasn't much in the van except for a light weight Ali R&R bed.

On my current van which is a 2.5Tdi Syncro. I've averaged 37.25 MPG over the last 5800 Miles (March 2009 to now) This van is 200KG heavier from the factory than a 1.9TD and 100kg heavier than 2.5Tdi 2WD. I also leave a roofbox on the roof all the time (bad i know) and have a multivan bed + sink unit + 2 leisure batteries fitted which must add up to an extra 200kg. I also have all terrain type tyres fitted whereas I had smooth tyres on the 1.9TD.

I generally drive economically rather than fast and my driving style hasn't changed between owning these vans. I'm sure a standard 2WD 2.5Tdi would be better on fuel than a standard 1.9TD if they were driven the same way. VWs offical consumption figures confirm this to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts