VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - someone did start one on the old forum and I'm wanting to go along this route myself - but are there any pointers that the TDi PP people can give to help things along?

Obviously, EGR and decat is universal.

Adding an intercooler is a natural progression (any news yet Ron? ;)), as is the AAZ fuel pump thing.

But what about injectors and nozzles and the like??

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Good man for starting this again. I am just back from hols and intend to write up a where we got to before the move thingy. Hopefully get it done this week. I got a pump from a 306 just before i left. But would really like some before and after pics before attempting this mod. My pump doesnt seem to have the same top as the 306 one ????? Anyway, with just the egr blocked, de-cat and the throttle limiter removed I really noticed a difference on the autoroute and hilly part of france I visited great so far and it can only get better.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
iam running a 1.9td and after de-catting it last week ive caugth the project power bug:) ive just purchased an intercooler and will fit it sometime this week, one thing i want to do before any more mods is fit a boost gauge, has any one fitted one that could give me a quick how too guide would be nice:)
also has anyone tuned there engine themselves? derv doctor want 175pounds to crank up my boost and fuel surly this is somthing i can do my self?

thank you
tom

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I thought Allards would only do it on vans with less than 100k??

Whilst we're on the subject of fuel/turbo tweaking, has anyone got a price for anyone 'oop north' ??
thats mine out then.
I have some info from the vwdeisel site that shows how to tweek the pump on a jetta. It looks kinda similar to mine.................if anyone wants that.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I found this on the web it comes from a highly respected td forum.

Stock TDs start cutting off fuel after approx. 2,800 RPM. Eliminating the governor will improve fueling above 2,800 RPM and allow the engine to continue running past 4,500 RPM. A tachometer is MANDATORY.

It got me thinking that it may be possible to lift the point at which the fuel begins to be cut off 2800rpm but still have the limit at 4500rpm.

Any ideas how chaps ?
This is a switch on top of the fuel pump. I wondered if a little of the rocker could be removed.
Anyone know how these work ?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I found this on the web it comes from a highly respected td forum.

Stock TDs start cutting off fuel after approx. 2,800 RPM. Eliminating the governor will improve fueling above 2,800 RPM and allow the engine to continue running past 4,500 RPM. A tachometer is MANDATORY.

It got me thinking that it may be possible to lift the point at which the fuel begins to be cut off 2800rpm but still have the limit at 4500rpm.

Any ideas how chaps ?
This is a switch on top of the fuel pump. I wondered if a little of the rocker could be removed.
Anyone know how these work ?
Is this TD's in general, because our 1.9TD is at it's best between 2 and 3 K as standard, right?

Besides mine doesn't have a rev counter, being an 800 special - the Caravelles had tachos but did the 1000 vans? I'd love to have a rev counter...

The I'm sure the only gizmo on my fuel pump is the fuel cut off immobilizer.

By the way the wires going into the top of the throttle cable are for a load sensor (switch) in the cable (I've just replaced my throttle cable again - surely this is for extra full throttle fuelling - not sure how it works though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
iam running a 1.9td and after de-catting it last week ive caugth the project power bug:) ive just purchased an intercooler and will fit it sometime this week, one thing i want to do before any more mods is fit a boost gauge, has any one fitted one that could give me a quick how too guide would be nice:)
also has anyone tuned there engine themselves? derv doctor want 175pounds to crank up my boost and fuel surly this is somthing i can do my self?

thank you
tom
The Derv Doctor will want to look at your fuel pump timing, etc. To adjust the fuelling you will need special equipment to do it properly. Adjusting the boost is easy once you've fitted a boost gauge (by simply running tubing from the take off on the manifold that points to the left hand headlamp to the gauge itself).

The factory setting is 0.7 bar. By removing the c clip from the wastegate spindle you will be able to shorten the actuator arm by as much as 2mm to raise the boost up to 1 bar (be careful it pings off too easily and you're likely to loose it - like I did - causing the actuator arm to rise off the wastegate, making the van smoke like a train and no boost at all.)

To be honest £175.00 for peace of mind isn't bad at all - he'll also let you know if you have any cambelt issues...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
got my intercooler off a 2.5td navarra big old thing.....but it should fit perfectly under the bumper. Any ideas on what pipes to use ?
Old exhaust pipes ? :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
230190121810 ebay no your link doesnt work herman
How are you mounting it
have you made a frame
where are you attaching it

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just checked the link. if you click on the address it goes straight to the pic. If not:confused: try going to totally t4 website, vans for sale, near bottom of list, modded black t4 (its marked sold), click on pics , you find it there. its a long nose van but the principal of how its mounted is what I'm doing. I'll post some pics when its done. the navara intercoolers I've seen on e-bay dont look like mine. Lost interest trying to sort it out with nissan. What they eventually sold me is identical to the one in the pic and according to them is from an x-trail!! I dont care as long as it does the job!!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got my eye on a couple of 'coolers on flea bay at the moment - it'll mean having to splash out on pipework, which is an **** as I reckon one of those 'universal' kits would do two vans.........

Anyway - if anyone beats me to it and has some pipework left over (76mm, I believe) I'd be interested in buying any bits that I need, rather than splashing out for a kit that'd have loads of bits left over.........

:ILU:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've got my eye on a couple of 'coolers on flea bay at the moment - it'll mean having to splash out on pipework, which is an **** as I reckon one of those 'universal' kits would do two vans.........

Anyway - if anyone beats me to it and has some pipework left over (76mm, I believe) I'd be interested in buying any bits that I need, rather than splashing out for a kit that'd have loads of bits left over.........

:ILU:

my intercooler should arrive tommorrow So-kal and i will get it fitted this weekend so any leftover parts i will let you know,

just fitted my boost gauge ready for its tune-up:cool:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deffo get some pics up when you sort it!!

BTW - can you do a write up about fitting the boost gauge, as I reckon it needs to be done (where to tap the pipe, leccy contacts, etc)

In the meantime, if you can let me know how it's done, I need to fit one too!! H:

1 - 20 of 258 Posts