VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 T4 1.9 TD ABL 170000 miles.
New head at 163000 miles after major overheating event. Pistons and rings also replaced.
New turbo at 168000 miles as it blew. New cam belt and water pump and refurbished fuel pump fitted. Head removed again and gasket replaced as signs of exhaust gas in coolant. EGR blanked off where it bolts to exhaust manifold, and EGR bits removed from fuel pump.
New oil cooler in case old one was porous and allowing oil into the coolant.
The problem: exhaust gases pressurising coolant so that some is lost and some blown out when expansion tank cap is undone to release pressure. It has done this since the new head was first fitted but is now worse. Coolant now very discoloured. Engine running well otherwise.

Questions:
can this be caused by anything other than blowing head gasket? As I said it is a brand new head and the second new gasket to be fitted so I am doubting it can be the head. Could this be caused by a crack in the block somewhere? If so can this be diagnosed without stripping the engine?

Could these symptoms be caused by the way I blanked off the EGR valve?

Update: I thought I posted this on 24 February but it seems to have disappeared!? I didn't get any responses last time I looked anyway.

Has no-one any thoughts? As a last-minute desperate attempt to mend it last weekend I used a bottle of K Seal straight into the top hose, but no joy of course - would have been too good to be true I guess...

One more thing, there is now mayo round the top of the oil filler tube but dipstick oil looks fine.

Help!

Lee

·
Registered
865 Posts
Probably a warped engine block or another failed cylinder head/gasket...Stop trowing money on the windows, get a 1.9 tdi golf mk3 and swap the lump and wiring loom...

·
Registered
5 Posts
check freeze core plugs leaking on the back of the engine block, i had same symptoms, coolant system was open to atmosphere, pressured the system, kept getting air locks in system. the k seal could have sealed them up :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts