VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about blanking off my egr valve. But, I cant help thinking that blanking it off is a half way solution.

My reason for thinking this is, although the 1.9 td does not have an engine ecu it does have an ecu that looks after and compares oil pressures, lights both interior and exterior, plus other items.

There is a micro switch on the injector pump for the egr. A micro switch for the wastegate and egr valve up behind the coolant expansion tank and sensors on the accelerator cable.

Without a wiring diagram, i think i am going to have to get stuck in with a test lamp and crocodile clips to find out how the system realy works.

Perhaps blanking the egr and shorting a wire or 2 may find more hp than doing half the job.

Interestingly last time I thought about blanking the egr I put in new accelerator cable and got a huge improvement in power and driveability. It also stopped all that why does it feel like someone came in the night and stole 20 bhp and then came and put it back a few days later feeling that the egr gets blamed for.

What do people think? Anyone played with this system properly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get anywhere with this project ?
I'm poking about in my engine compartment cos my ABL 1.9 has started a rythmic surging when accelerating on load when cold.
I disconected the cable to my EGR valve a few years ago as the van was undrivable due to random EGR activity, but has been fine until recently.
I've always wondered what else gets activated or de-activated when the engine gets up to normal temp. I hear a click and the tickover speed drops slightly. I know this is the time when the EGR valve is activated, but obviously something else happens as well.:confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts