VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've had my van 2000 1.9 TD for 12 years now and covered a grand total of 28k during my ownership. Current mileage 126k.

Problem: I have changed the PAS belt every year as after a few thousand it starts slipping. In the early days it went to 3 different main stealers all of which report no problem and just fitted a new belt. For the last 9 years I have fitted a new belt myself as it only takes half hour.

Obviously this is not normal but I can see nothing wrong with it.

So, anyone experienced the same problem or can anyone offer some suggestions, as its time to get it fixed once and for all.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Couple of things to check...

Do you have the brass 'spacers' that fit inside the PS pulley? These are used to tension up the belt... If they are missing, then the belt will be too tight and wear through very quickly... You can gradually remove them if the belt starts to slip...

Also, I had a similar issue where the one bolt on the PS pump bracket had worked loose, which was preventing the belt from being set to the correct tension. With the belt removed, see if there is any movement in the pump. May be worth just check tightening all the PS pump bracket bolts too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of things to check...

Do you have the brass 'spacers' that fit inside the PS pulley? These are used to tension up the belt... If they are missing, then the belt will be too tight and wear through very quickly... You can gradually remove them if the belt starts to slip...

Also, I had a similar issue where the one bolt on the PS pump bracket had worked loose, which was preventing the belt from being set to the correct tension. With the belt removed, see if there is any movement in the pump. May be worth just check tightening all the PS pump bracket bolts too.

Spacers are all intact.

Will check the other items you mentioned.

I must get to the bottom of this problem this time as it always worries me on journeys. I was forced to take it the main stealers once whilst in North Wales or I would not have made it home.

Many thanks.

Anyone else had issues?

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Are you sure it's the pas belt that's slipping? Does your rev Counter drop When you hear the screech?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All,

I will be replacing the belt (again) in the next week or so, I will get the belt from the main dealer to be certain its right. It is definitely the PAS belt you can feel it on the steering wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts