VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just bought my 1.9 TD Transporter 1997, originally Ambulance vehicle made by VW but stripped down to be "ordinary" LWB Transporter.

Previous owner took out the original turbo because it started to make weird sounds, lost power etc. I bought used but good Garett also from T4 1.9 TD but I had to fabricate new oil hose for returning the oil back to engine as mine was different (hold by two bolts, instead this turbo has screw-in hose type).

Before I've started the engine for real for the first time, I've tried to pull the turbo oil-in hose, started the engine and then look for the oil to come out and it did, although it was kinda slow after cca 5-10 seconds and started pouring only after the engine was runinng on more than idle RPMs. Friend assured me that this is OK as the old oil pumps were not so quick in building the pressure.

So I've put everything together, checked the sealings and tried to run the car slowly around. I've noticed that the oil light is flashing but also the rev counter was acting crazy - I've assumed that this was common error in wires only. Everything worked, engine temperature sat at center, turbo was "pulling", but after few more minutes of running (not pushing it over cca 3000rpm) it started to make rough clicking sounds there and there and in the middle of small hillclimb it started loosing power with more and more metal noise coming from under the hood.

I've didn't checked the turbo yet, I'm about to do it soon but I'm sure that it is dead.

My question is, does this mean that the oil pump is faulty and should be replaced?

I have whole spare engine from Golf Mk3 GTD, I've already took the oil pump there out. By the way, the T4 has around 800 000km (cca 500 000 miles) done, although it was serviced well (from 1997 to 2009 it was ambulance) and it has new piston rings, new bearings etc.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If oil light was ok before you added new turbo then suggests to me that there is no longer a suitable oil pressure.

It might be because the engine system you have was designed to use a turbo with journal bearings and the one you have fitted has ball bearings so there is no oil pressure being built-up.

You could check by stopping oil flow to turbo and running engine at idle. Do not drive as may damage turbo.

·
1.9TD 800 Special SWB
120 Posts
The oil light flashing and the rev counter acting crazy sounds like the red wire on the alternator has disconnected.......this has happened to me also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts