VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone around the Hants/surrey/Berks area that know how to set the pump on my 1.9td as i'm sure the advance/retard is out as it clatters like a tractor and the fuel consumption is not that good either :( pump timing appears ok (pin locates ok on tdc) and the belt has been changed. can anyone help and beer tokens available T:T:

·
Registered
250 Posts
You need a dial gauge in the back of the fuel pump to set the timing to 1mm.I have seen anything from .55 to .7mm when it is pinned up so poor performance and smoking result.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that all I need now is to find someone who has the gauge and will do the job for me I:I:I:T:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi YA

Depends what engine code, ABL did not need Dial Gauge.

Set the Timing mark at the Clutch/gearbox
Loosen the cam sprocket and lock the Cam with a plate at the same end as Clutch.
Pin the Pump and tighten everything up

I checked the pump location after removing the pin to find it was not alligned
Realigning the pump sprocket by eye made a hell of a difference.

Best of luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Marmite is correct. The cam pulley has to be loose to set the pump timing correctly. Other wise there is enough tension in the belt to pull it slightly out and mess up the pump timing when you pull all the pins and locks out,

Yours cant be far out if it starts and runs. No dial gauge needed for setting up the pump on an abl. It is an easy job to do.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Hi YA

Loosen the cam sprocket and lock the Cam with a plate at the same end as Clutch.

Best of luck
I did the timing on my ABL and I needed a dial gauge, I can't see how it can be done with out a dial gauge:*

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Hi YA

Best of luck
I did the timing on my ABL and I needed a dial gauge, I can't see how it can be done properly with out a dial gauge:*

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you want it setting accurately a dial gauge is the only way,he said he had pinned the pump and it was still running rough.If you do not loosen the cam pulley when you tension it will put out the cam timing with the tdc but the pump timing with regard to the tdc will be the same.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I did the timing on my ABL and I needed a dial gauge, I can't see how it can be done with out a dial gauge:*
I also agree.

How can you set the timing correctly only with pins and marks?

When I did mine with a dial gauge, I've seen that even 1mm of pump rotation it will give a big reading on the dial gauge.
So a dial gauge will set it ALMOST right (almost, as you don't have control over the wear and tear on the internals of the pump or injectors).

Best practice is to TEST each setting, and see which is the best for you.

Set it to 0.85 first and drive it few days.
Then, even if you think you're happy, change it to 0.95. Drive again few days.
Make notice about the differences in driving.
Then set it to 1.05 and repeat test drive.
after this you compare notices and decide which setting is the best for you.

A lot of work for about 1 week, but then you can surely know you're right until next belt change.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi thanks for all your replies , I now have another question...... when I bought the van it started fine and ran ok but noisy, decided to do the cambelt and found the pump out by a mile, set the tdc and cam up with mark and slot and had to loosen 3 bolts on pump and move pulley round (you could see old marks on pulley where it used to be) even by doing that it still sounds exactly the same and as for moving the cam pulley it will not move (possibly loctited on) so any ideas on that :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts