VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, got hold of a vw caddy with ahu engine, swapped engines over to my 1x powered t4, did the wiring as per the wiring help list on the tdi help pages, immobiliser (8 pin and 3 pin plugs) is swapped over as is the transponder from the key. Went to start her up after connecting all wiring and have the following happen

Starter motor works and cranks the engine

No lights at all on dash :-S

Can't connect to ecu with vagcom or immo

Any suggestions as I am stumped, its wet, im tired and feeling now very fed up!!

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
1.can you connect to immobilizer as thats first port of call
2.i think i had to cut out diagnostic grey wire on the wiring harness side of things and connect wire from immobilizer
it started communicating with both ecu/immob but not instrument till i reconnected
3.have you connected the wire for the diagnostic on the immobilizer side(think grey/black or grey )to the obd wire at the diagnostic socket
4 i also had a issue when did mine and found i had to disconnect the large red/white wire for glow plug feed on fusebox
when i got started plugged it back in been ok since
just a few things that may help(pm if you need help)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just been out to van, no answer on vagcom to immobiliser, obd port correctly wired so to start I must have a feed issue with this, going to try and diagnose from here and work back

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, may have been slightly wrong with IMO description, it's got an 8pin plug and 3 pin plug.

Now got continuity from obd port to immo (green and red on this one) and continuity from ecu pin 61 to other input on immo.

It's then got 2brown wires, 1red and 1 black. Red has a 12v poss supply coming to it but nothing to the black. Anyone have any ideas or a wiring diagram for the immo? If I can't get it to work tonight I will just have to pull the whole engine loom out, get it on a desk and make sure it is all perfect and that I have not cut any wrong wires unless anyone has any better solutions!:*

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did look at that, all good power wise, just vagcom can't interrogate it ?!?!

Slight update, n75 is clicking but alternating to this is a clicking noise from the fuel pump any ideas?

Still no lights on dash or starting so who knows, outside with a headtorch is making life very difficult so!

One last point to mension with the immo, I have a flip key (snazzy huh :) ) which the transponder does not sit to well inside (cheap fleabag item) now can I for the purpose of testing stick the chip to the inside of the plastic ring to make it work to almost strike it off the list??

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I would think that if you put the key in the ignition and then turn it and tape the transponder chip to the barrel it may work. I imagine that the transponder chip may have to be in the centre of the coil which goes around the key barrel to activate it.
I take it you are using the T4 clocks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using t4 clocks at the mo but I have just pulled out the harness for the caddy clocks and may float them in tomorrow and see if I get any further. Will also try the transponder trick in the morn!

On my last attempt I did notice a slight burning smell from the fuseboard so I will need to check all my earths are intact as I know so many people who have had random faults appear from dodgy earths! Good job I booked a few days off work this week to play and get it (hopefully) sorted!

Thank you for all the help so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The van is 94 so old style clocks, just wanted to check it as I have not even got a battery light which seems bizarre, but alas still no luck!!

Slowly running out of ideas now :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yea and the analogue clock is just spinning round really fast! Could this be an indicator of where my trouble lie?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not familiar with the old style clocks but I would certainly think that is a good indication of part of the problem. Have you removed the glow plug wiring, original immobiliser wiring and other wiring that is no longer required as per the guide?
Completely removed t4 old wiring, just left lighting harness, radiator loom and coolant tank plug.

My van did not originally have a immobiliser so nothing there to remove.going to dig around the 109 relay and see what is happening there

Seems like a never ending job!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just as a point, my ebay VCDS cable doesn't allow live data to be read whilst the alternator is connected, i have to disconnect the large bolted cable every time i want live data.

Im not sure if that will help, but its worth remembering.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My van wouldn't start until I had the immobiliser pick up fitted to the ignition barrel and the transponder fitted properly in the key!

Also is the ignition on when you try the scan?
I know it's daft but I kept forgetting to turn mine on!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, ignition is on when connecting vagcom, removed and re-seated plugs, yet still won't start but instead I have melted my z2 (thick brown cable) coming into the fuseboard!! Completely stumped! Been thinking that the issue may be because the caddy wiring was slightly different to the gol wiring and I have cut through some wrong cables ?? However k line to ecu is working as are all the earths, alternator wiring is ok etc etc! Any ideas, can I pull out the z2 and run a direct feed from the battery as it seems to feed the blower fan on the way through. Failing that I have secured another loom from a golf, ecu, immo etc and try to start again!!

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
The caddy loom is most likely the same as the Seat or Polo one which I used and is slightly different than the Golf one. I am struggling to remember the difference but have a look on my thread or posts on TDI stuff as it might be there, failing that my van
is in St.Austell.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts