VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
The caddy loom is most likely the same as the Seat or Polo one which I used and is slightly different than the Golf one. I am struggling to remember the difference but have a look on my thread or posts on TDI stuff as it might be there, failing that my van
is in St.Austell.
I think it is the same as the seat, however I followed the guide and only removed basically the light loom.

Feeling a bit better now, went to the scrappies and got another t4 fuseboard, as much wiring from inside as I could (as I am concerned about the melted z2), another set of clocks to try and a fwd gearbox mount for the big price of 30 quid T:

Now I have all this I will sit down and work out where my loom is possibly wrong and hopefully find something I am missing!

Tfore thank you for the offer, I may very we'll take you up on it if I am really stuck, sometimes you can't see the problem even if it's staring you in the face so doing a 'spot the difference' may well help!!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Ok quick update, checked and double checked but can't see any obv. Faults, however put my front end on, lights in etc to see if it was due to the fact non of this was connected and have noticed the following,

Hazards work, indicators from stalk don't, interior heating fan does not work, nor does the stereo. This all says to me that when I put my key in the ignition I am not getting an ignition live on the turn of the key :confused:

Anyone have any clues as to what could cause this (relays, fuses wiring etc) I will also post this in the electrical forum

Thanks in advance!!

Something must have shorted out on the first donor loom and possibly damaged other components in the process.
Lights are separate from engine management so shouldn't prevent it from starting.

However there could now be a short in the lighting loom and switches be careful you don't damage the 2nd donor loom.

Feel for ya tbh.

Be methodical in everything you do and take down notes to refer back to. That's what I did and it made things a bit easier.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Something must have shorted out on the first donor loom and possibly damaged other components in the process.
Lights are separate from engine management so shouldn't prevent it from starting.

However there could now be a short in the lighting loom and switches be careful you don't damage the 2nd donor loom.

Feel for ya tbh.

Be methodical in everything you do and take down notes to refer back to. That's what I did and it made things a bit easier.

That's my worry, doing even more damage! Hopefully my 2nd loom will be here today, will take everything super slow and carefull, going to get a auto sparky out also so he can check the fuseboard/ inside looms for damage or shorts and hopefully between the two I can get it sorted!!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Ok, so spent all day on the van tracing wires etc etc. now have made some progress :)

Found the top pin on the back of the ign. Barrel bent over, tried bending it back but still no luck so I hung in the golf one and hey presto dash lights up all apart from the battery light??

Ok so then turned the key and engine fires up for a second then cuts out - immobiliser maybe?

Also cannot connect vcds to see any faults.

So all I need to do know is find out

1, why I can't connect to vagcom? - any ideas,
2, why does it cut out straight away?
3, where is my battery light gone!!

Currently using original clocks and I have noticed a slight glow from the coil light once it goes out

Thanks all

:)

Make sure the pickup for the transponder is fitted onto the ignition barrel correctly and the transponder is in the key.
If still no go make sure all immobiliser wires are connected correctly. 1 needs permanent live and another ignition live make sure you have these connected right.

As for vagcom the OBD socket also needs power so double check the wiring here too.

Good luck sounds like you're getting there.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Make sure the pickup for the transponder is fitted onto the ignition barrel correctly and the transponder is in the key.
If still no go make sure all immobiliser wires are connected correctly. 1 needs permanent live and another ignition live make sure you have these connected right.

As for vagcom the OBD socket also needs power so double check the wiring here too.

Because things are never easy the aerial did not fit my stalk so I taped the transponder chip to the top of it, will try fiddling around with it a bit in a min,

Will get the multimeter on the lives and just double check all is well,

Obd port has defo got power and but the k line goes through the immo so I may try wiring into it just prior to the immobiliser

The feeling of burning the van to the ground is slowly subsiding now :)

Discussion starter · #29 ·

No perm live to immo. May we'll be one of my issues there. It's dark, I'm cold and now wet so given up for this evening, got an auto sparks coming over tomorrow just to check things over so I will see if he can't remove the immo from the ecu, saves playing around then!!!

Thanks again for all the help:)

No perm live to immo. May we'll be one of my issues there. It's dark, I'm cold and now wet so given up for this evening, got an auto sparks coming over tomorrow just to check things over so I will see if he can't remove the immo from the ecu, saves playing around then!!!

Thanks again for all the help:)
Idoubt he will be able to bud, i think its only mappers that can do it but i might be wrong.

i had the same kind of problem with the immob mate yesterday as im doing a Tdi conversion now aswell ,, just stick the transponder in your key, leaving the original key in the middle of the arial ring wont work ,, and you have to mount the ring/arial on the barrel ....its the only way T:

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Thanks for all the help, following this thread http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60190 I now know I need to add b+12v to pin 1 as it's not got a feed to it at all at the mo, hopefully this will solve my vagcom issue also !?!

As for the keeping immobiliser, I would ideally keep it, just thinking of ways around things as I can't fit the aerial to the barrel as the aerial circle bit is too small!!

Tomorrow is another day lol!

Really big thank you for all the help so far :) will have to post out beer tokens in the post after this H:

Thanks for all the help, following this thread http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60190 I now know I need to add b+12v to pin 1 as it's not got a feed to it at all at the mo, hopefully this will solve my vagcom issue also !?!

As for the keeping immobiliser, I would ideally keep it, just thinking of ways around things as I can't fit the aerial to the barrel as the aerial circle bit is too small!!

Tomorrow is another day lol!

Really big thank you for all the help so far :) will have to post out beer tokens in the post after this H:
I had the same problem with the immobiliser ring being too small in the middle.
I used a hole cutter in a cordless drill, the type used for kitchen cupboard door hinges to trim it down a bit.
I'll try and find a pic or a link to it. It may do the job.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Ok, time for a quick update,

I have the van running now :) so very happy indeed!

I was not getting a b+ 12v feed to the immo, that's sorted so she fires up!

Now I have realised going through other peoples build threads ( looking at how best to plumb in my sprinter intercooler) and realised I have not wired in my brake pedal sensors, as the caddy van did not have them anyway!

So to the motor factors again tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone knows what type of switch it is (push to make/push to brake)

And again thank you everyone for you help! T:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.