VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title I have been inspired by Aggiet4s awesome thread to convert my 2.4 to 1.9 tdi so bought a golf off ebay and am fetching it tomorrow. planning on getting a fair bit of the work done over xmas as im off work til the 5th. Will be taking lots of photos and writing a bit of a thread about it hopefully being of usefulness to anyone wanting to do the same. I have taken lots of info from aggies thread but most conversions on here start with a 1.9 td so this will help anyomne overcome whatever grief i get into. it may take me a month or two to complete it so will update as and when i can and have done some more work.

pics of the van and donor car will be posted tomorrow
if anyone has useful info regarding this conversion please feel free to post.
items like the coolant pipes and power steering pipes are an unknown at the minute as i dont have a clue if they are wildly different to the 1.9 or not.
gearbox will bolt straight up so thats one big thing.

cheers jaz

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
you will both be ok especially you juz - just label everything you unplug on the golf, take photos and wrap all your vans bolts in that white masking tape then label the little packages it makes it a lot quicker and easier when putting it all back:ILU:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
if you lot are doing it well so am i , dont want to get literally left behind ..:D .. ive had the kit for ages its about time i took the old girl off the road for a couple of days to fit the pump ect

hope it all goes well juz + tanjaz , I'm sure it will be fine with the forum collective to help

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well got the golf back home now and it seems to run ok drove it onto the trailer and up the road to my house so thats a good start.

sounds like all the t4's in the land are gonna be tdi power soon then lol

good luck to all. hopefully we can assist each other if we run into probs

cheers jaz

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought about doing that but quite fancy the tuneability of the 1.9 tdi. looking forward to 130 ish bhp :)

cheers jaz

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hope so mate mines never been the fastest of vans and its looking to have double the power almost so should be entertaining :) i have a 115hp transit work van which goes quite well so i hope it goes about the same as that.

ordered the engine mount today but with the xmas post its gonna be a while before it comes but i can get everything prepped for the lump to go in, engine to paint, bay to detail etc...

cheers jared*<:)>

·
Registered
126 Posts
A:will be following your posts as i`m thinking off binning my 2.4d for a 1.9tdi,as i have a 99 passat 1.9tdi and cannot fault it ,loads of power ,45+miles to the gallon,and would love more power and economy from the T4....i hope all goes well with the conversion....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers guys thanks for comments and links etc...

its not a pd engine going in which i think the 99 passat will be milky. had a quick read up on fitting one and it seems a right royal pain in the **** to be honest.

meery xmas jaz

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right started this morning stripping the front of the t4 out. got almost everything disconnected from the engine just exhaust and power steering pipes to go now. need the engine crane tomorrow but the wife has gone out in the car so cant fetch it today.

got the front bumper and crossmember off the golf too the vr6 splitter is ready to go on my bumper and the all important TDI badge is off the golf too :D

t4 engine out tomorrow morning and then clean engine bay up and whip golf lump out.

cheers jaz

pics up soon when i can work my new cam lol

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
nice work so far . how did you get on today ???

looking at the pictures i think you need to be adding a couple more things to your conversion shopping list

1.9td fuel lines from filter ( yours look to short )
coolant hoses
not sure about the power steering pump , you might be able to get away with the golf one

keep up the good work fella

just one thing ,, that there is a 3 door mk3 golf tdi :eek:!!!!!! ive been looking for one of those for ages , a rare beast in 3 door

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice work so far . how did you get on today ???

looking at the pictures i think you need to be adding a couple more things to your conversion shopping list

1.9td fuel lines from filter ( yours look to short )
coolant hoses
not sure about the power steering pump , you might be able to get away with the golf one

keep up the good work fella

just one thing ,, that there is a 3 door mk3 golf tdi :eek:!!!!!! ive been looking for one of those for ages , a rare beast in 3 door

i will be perfectly honest mate i didnt get out of bed until late and by the time i had got sorted and fetched the crane it was starting to get darkI: im all set for tomorrow tho getting up early the mrs has been prepped with the little one so should be on for a good day.
i thought the coolant and power steering pipes might need bodging, sorry i mean customising got a local frim that normally makes me pipes for me and i was planning to use as much as poss from the golf and fabricate brackets etc... if required ie fuel filter mount.

its a shame then that i have ripped the golf apart then?:* it was the first one i saw and it was local too A:

bit of a bugger the xmas holidays are now as i am gonna have to wait ages for the engine mount to come. just need to find a sump and pick up hoping to change that once engine is in tho if the mount comes first shouldnt be big headache.
gonna use the golf front pipe too unless i buy a td decat pipe.

how you got on with yours oz?? you gonna be done first so looking forward to know what its gonna be like.

cheers jaz

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i dragges my sorry ass out of bed a bit earlier than yesterday so got bit more done so far but the mrs ahs had to go out and tax the car so looking after little un.
power steering pipes are off most of the gearbox bolts are out the exhaust is off just got to hook up crane and rip it out now. its bloody freezing tho cant feel my fingers so struggling a bit lol.

want the old stuff out the t4 completely today and then get the golf to a point where the engine can be lifted out on thursday as im working tomorrow.

cheers jaz

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
been out there ages struggling to get the gearbox split from the engine. im leaving the gearbox in the van is there any bolts hidden in a stupid place seems to be stuck at the back near the driveshaft. any urgent help would be much appreciated.

cheers jaz

1 - 20 of 111 Posts