VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It turns out the engine in my 1.9 TD is broke (pressure and oil in the water!). After having a good read of aggiet4's engine conversion thread i have gone out and bought myself a 'N' reg 90hp Tdi Mk3 Golf 1Z engine code. Gonna get on with the conversion in the next few weeks. What i was wondering is that is there any other helpful points that any one may be able to let me know that might help things go a little smoother!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
ive also done the conversion mate i dont think youll go far wrong if you follow aggies tdi thread, although your new engine has prolly got a imobilisor in the key it can be sorted without to much probs, i think 800 special may be able to shed more lite on that side of it failing that mite be worth having a word with stiener hes done a few conversions.

andy

·
Registered
335 Posts
the immobiliser is easy, just make sure you get the immobiliser black box from under the dash of the golf, also you'll need the key from the golf, and the aerial ring (from around the ignition)

Its all plug and play after that!

as for the rest of the conversion......its easy!!!

any probs, drop me a line mate......

But yeah, if u follow aggie's thread, you wont go far wrong!!!

I went right into depth rebuilding my engine, becasue i wanted to KNOW that the engine was good, rather than hoping........

wiring is easy, as long as you label everything before u remove it......

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
It is the way forward if you are having 1.9 engine troubles or just want better economy,more power and torque!

I think we should start a new Team 1.9TDi now there are quite a few of us on the forumT:

·
Registered
335 Posts
i've got one here - just need to get round to fitting it!! what gearbox oil is best used after the 5th gear upgrade?? Gen vw stuff?? or summit like redline mtx?? sorry for thread hujackin btw Rasp:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
the fith gear is a piece of ****, i think its a must even if you have a stock 1.9td like me:D
iam with you on that mateT: iam forever going for a 6th gear the por engine just seems to rev its nats off at anything above 60mph,,,,,when you say its a piece of **** to do

do you mean getting hold of the said parts Eg: from a scrap yard or actually fitting them ??

as i would not of thought a scrapers would just let you take the said items out of a gear box:dunno: i would of thought you would have to buy the complete box,,,plus is it not worth maybe having a crack at fitting the diff from the donor box then you have a less revvy engine all through the rev range:dunno:I: iam know expertI: as iam just starting to find out more about this,,worth a shot if its fittableT:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i've got one here - just need to get round to fitting it!! what gearbox oil is best used after the 5th gear upgrade?? Gen vw stuff?? or summit like redline mtx?? sorry for thread hujackin btw Rasp:
Hi mate i use shell all the way its expensive but its very good & if you ring shell direct so to speak you can buy bulk "Ish" amounts & get it cheaper than at the shop,,,I buy shell advance ultra for my motor bikes i use

its nion £40.00 for 4 litres:eek::eek: from over the bike shop counter it works out from shell i get one free if i buy a total of 16 Liters at a time,,,,,you can really feel the difference on oil changes & it last alot longer between changes,,,that just my experience of it T:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
One thing i was wondering on the conversion... is the cluch in my TD going to be able to take the TDI power increase? Or am i just being stupid as it is only about 30hp more same as you may get from just tuning your old engine.
im still using my original td clutch with no probs at all :ILU:

andy

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes you can. I will be starting my conversion real soon and as you can see from the thread and others it has been done before without too many problems. As for the fitting to a non turbo 1.9 van im pretty sure its still the same engine (just with different compressions) as the 1.9TD so it should be ok.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts