VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm in need of a bit of advice regarding a recent 1.9td to 1.9tdi engine conversion on a T4 that myself and a mate have done.

(When I say 'me and my mate did it, he's the sort of mechanic/engineer with the knowledge about what to do and i'm just there to hand him the tools and try and learn a bit about engines! I learn't quite a bit considering I didn't know which end to hold a screwdriver a few months ago! He's already done the same engine conversion on his own t4.)

Anyway, me and my mate swapped the old td engine for an AHU 1.9tdi from an old golf, did the wiring loom etc and I had it running perfectly for 3-4 days. Only, the other morning, I was on my way to college, I'd driven about 2 miles, stopped at a junction, pulled out from the road and accelerated up a hill, got a little way up the hill (fairly steep) and felt that I was loosing power, the revs completely dropped. I tried changing down a gear into 2nd but I could hear the revs continued to drop and the engine completely cut out and refused to restart. Battery is completely fine and there is a load of diesel in the tank so those shouldn't be issues.

I called out the RAC and the mechanic tried a few things. He said to me that when he bypassed the stop solenoid it would fire and start the engine but would tick over for a second or two then cut out again.

The van was towed to a local garage and the guys there had a look at it but they told me that they couldn't make sense of the wiring because of it being an engine conversion.

I've tried a few obvious things like checking the key in the immobiliser hasn't moved out of place and no fuses have fused but other than that I'm a bit stuck with what to do! I also know that the cable for VAGCOM hasn't been wired in yet so I can't find out what errors come up with that but I'm hoping that someone might be able to suggest some things that I could try and check/do to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick response!

I've already had a look at this and it is possible that this could be an issue. However only when the mechanic bypassed the stop solenoid the engine would run for a few seconds but when the stop solenoid isn't being bypassed i.e just trying to start normally it doesn't even get to run at all, just 'chuggs' without full ignition, if that makes any sense...

·
Registered
103 Posts
It does sound like the immobiliser as when mine is used with a key with no chip in it. It will fire for a second then cut out. Timpsons can cut you keys for your van and transfer the chip from the golf key into the van key, they can also clone the chip for extra keys.

But this wouldn't explain why it only occurred after a few days of use. Just check that the immobiliser wiring is connected and not come off at any point and make sure the key is in the ring.

Hope that might be of some help.

Otherwise get vag come connected and see what it says.

Jon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys, will have a look at all of this and see if anything happens.

I'll keep the progress updated on here for those of you that are interested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't suppose anybody has a copy of VAGCOM floating around anywhere that I could get hold of? Or anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy that won't cost me a fortune?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so after running it through diagnostics we've got two problem codes that have come up.

These read:

00513 Engine Speed Sensor - G28 No Signal

17978 Engine Start Blocked by Immobiliser P1570

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved, the crank shaft sensor had come extremely loose.

Interestingly the '17978 Engine Start Blocked by Immobiliser P1570' issue won't clear from diagnostics even though the engine runs fine!?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts