VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just did the head on my 1x

new water pump, belts, thermastat

van ran perfect fot the first 50 miles, came up to 90 and a bit degrees fans kicked in, all nice

dont know if this had any relevance but had never had the heater on so matrix was probably empty, turned it to on let van heat up in driveway and got heater producing some heat, topped up water, all seemed fine

today set off on her first real trip of about 50 miles, after about 5 I knew something was up as temp was just above 90 and would creep up to 100 on hills

stopped and fans were not on

so for trip home I bypassed fan switch and let them run flat out

temperature was about 95 so just ok but too high for me.

stopped and checked fans were on, which they were ok but they were only blowing cold air, the radiator was cold but the heater in van was belting out hot air

bottom rad pipe that runs to the water pump through thermistat was stone cold

is this a simple case that my new stat is faulty ? and not letting any water into the radiator to be cooled ?

can I just remove it and run without it ?

sorry for the long windedness but I'm a tad disapointed after my lengthy rebuild that the van may be a lemon

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im no expert but have mine in a million peices due to heating /cooling probsand am about to send head off to Just heads to get refurbed for £200 . When my van had the same probs it was water pump seized that caused the belt to snap eventually . I was told to run it with stat out to check if that was contributing to mine running at 105 all the time before it went also there is a sensor in the rad which cuts the fan in i would replace that if u havent already ! once they get hot its hard to cool it right back down again

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cheers

just pulled stat out

bottom pipe warming lovely now so much happier

think stat just jammed shut, lucky it wasnt summer or I might have cooked her

fans come on ok at 80

how do you get water into the heater, i have had the wee screw out and that pipe is full but the return is cold, it obviously has air in it, I have squesed it like mad and not really getting it out

thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bit confused now

with no stat went for test drive after it cooled down, after about 10 miles temp gauge went up to about 70 degrees rising slowly and heater was warm so happy enough

but went home and heated the offending stat on the cooker, problem is the thing openned ok, didnt have a thermometer to see the exact openning temp but must say the water was in my view boiling or very close to it

stat was new 40 odd miles ago, will I take it that its got a fault and it had stuck shut ? or is this not my problem after all

away to get a new one tomorrow

fingers crossed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts