VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newbie, asking the same old question.

Can someone persuade me a 1.9 will be powerful enough? And what bhp/lbs the 1.9's have, is Wiki not up to date?

Wiki is confusing me as I thought the 1.9's had more power?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Eurovan#T4

I originally thought I wanted the 1.9.... But looking at Wiki, I think I want the 2.5 as I know lack of power will ruin my enjoyment of the van. Restricting myself to the 2.5 is taking my options of a new van down considerably.
If I could be persuaded that the 1.9 would be quick enough, I would have a lot more choice.

Yes, yes, I will not be drag racing or going over the speed limit BUT I WILL want to GET to 75-80 in a short time, as to not annoy me. And these vans are quite heavy.

Can someone persuade me a 1.9 will be powerful enough? :*

:ILU:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am on my second 2.5, and can probably say little of use, but...

I know that when I was first buying, someone very helpful told me that I would definitely NOT find the 1.9 had enough power for my needs (I have a lot of kids, and we go camping with all of our gear quite often).

My current T4 is a 2.5 and, in light of what I have just said above, I would not want anything even the slightest bit smaller.

So, not much of a technical response, but at least you know one person's experience, for what it's worth. I:

Best of luck in your purchase, though. T:

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Odysseus, that is actually the kind of thing I am after.

Just don't understand why most vans are 1.9 if they are not powerful enough?

Crazy!!! :*

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Am on my 3rd 2.5 and my opinion is exacty the same as the other post. 2.5tdi is perfect for motorways, and around town.

My first one was a ex-aa so was 114bhp, my second a standard 102hp and i now run a 88hp. A year after the aa was written off I still miss the old yellow wagon for the extra power.

2.5's are easy to modify, as long as you got deep pockets as they can be re-mapped to improve performance significantly. Which is what i plan to do with mine in the long run. When i was starting out looking for my first van many on here said get the 2.5tdi, i am so glad i did.

This is my opinion only and am not meaning to offend any 1.9 owners who read this, i know you can convert the 1.9 to a tdi using a golf engine and get brilliant gains, but its a lot more work than buying the 2.5 in the first place.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Had my 94 , 2.4 since it had 12.5 k on the clock . It now has 214.000.! Whatever you get , they are vans !!! They are not performance vehicles , if you want to retain the reliability they were built for !! I had a 2.8 BMW shortly before getting mine , all those years ago , and had to alter driving style to compensate . A regular trip of 120 miles took 15-20 mins more , but half the fuel ...! Just enjoy a slightly more relaxed driving style ...!! Tune it if you want , but tour these forums , and look at all the issues it creates ....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had my 94 , 2.4 since it had 12.5 k on the clock . It now has 214.000.! Whatever you get , they are vans !!! They are not performance vehicles , if you want to retain the reliability they were built for !! I had a 2.8 BMW shortly before getting mine , all those years ago , and had to alter driving style to compensate . A regular trip of 120 miles took 15-20 mins more , but half the fuel ...! Just enjoy a slightly more relaxed driving style ...!! Tune it if you want , but tour these forums , and look at all the issues it creates ....
Wise words... :cool:

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies... and I hear what people are saying. T:

Think I may have just been spoilt with my last few cars and just want to be sure I have a decent amount of tourque.

Sounds like the 2.5 standard will be fine for me, but I guess I need to drive the 1.9 first, to see what kind of power we are talking about.
I have had a 2000 Leon, just a TDI, no Cupra or anything; and also an A3 TDI... so I presumed the 1.9 would be the same VAG engine. And I thought the power was JUST enough (Which is why I had both re-mapped) but a van is going to be a lot heavier, so in my head, I will need a lot more torque to deal with the weight, which is what I think the 2.5 will give me, even if I leave it standard.

Decisions, Decisions..... :confused:

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick look at the Wiki page shows me I have misunderstood the engines slightly...

The 1.9 is NOT a turbo!!! Which is why the power is so low (obviously) which also makes me understand the whole conversion to an A3, Golf or Leon VAG 1.9, as they ARE turbo... Sorry guys... slowly starting to understand it all LOL:

This makes me think even MORE that I want a 2.5 .... and if not, definatley a turbo'd 1.9, which I guess people don't sell very often as then have probably spent quite a bit doing the conversion.

Slowly getting my head round all this :D

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The 1.9td does have a turbo, I have a 2.5 tdi (102) remapped to 155bhp an its excellent on the motorway and with the remap i can change up into 5th at about 35mph and it will just pull.
My mate has a 1.9td, they are still a decent engine but wheras i would take mine anywhere, he is a little less trusting of his (the crank nose is a bad design on the 1.9 which if goes wrong can ruin engine) he's had problems with his which although caught in time always has him wary of if and when it will go again.
Best option is to drive both and then decide, just remember that a 1.9 empty will be a lot different once you start adding camping interior etc.
having driven both,the 2.5 seems more refined to me and an ideal sized engine for the size of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Remember that even the 1.9TD are not like the 1.9 engines you've been use to.
The 1.9 TD is an indirect injection, low boost pressure, no boost fuel compensation (no EUC), no intercooler engine.

The 1.9's you've been driving will be higher boost, possible variable geometry turbo, direct injection or PD - both electronically controlled (ECU) and boost compensated, and finally inter-cooled.
It's a world of difference!

The 2.5TDi is direct injection, intercooled (if the 102), higher electronically controlled boost and thanks to ECU control can add more fuel to make use of the boost.

If power is a concern then get a 2.5 102hp.T:

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Power is kind of a concern.... so I am erring on the side of needing the 2.5 :cool:

Just don't want my experience in the van to be ruined by the engine not being 'gutsie' enough for us when it is fully laden.

Again, I know it is a van and I know I won't be racing or hitting 90-100mph on the auto-bahns..... But 30-70 times needs to be less than 2 days ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
in factory trim there is no question the 2.5 is the better engine.

keep an eye out for 1.9tdi converted vans, theres a fair few about now (including mine) and personally feel its the engine they shouldve used. im getting awsome mpg from mine that the 2.5 boys can only dream of and running 120bhp and shorter gearing i can easily match my friends 2.5 up the hills of devon and cornwall.

having originally had a 1.9td and played around trying to improve the severe lack of power id avoid them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Having owned and teweaked a SWB 1.9TD - and now owning a remaped and PP injected LWB 2.5TDI, there is no comparison - one was just painful - everywhere except in town. My 2.5 is the envy of many friends with newer cars and vans - it might not smoke them at the lights but it pulls up alpine hills at any speed you dare and at the end of the day returns better MPG than anyone else bar an econobox on diesel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts