VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a 1.9 vs 2.5 thread...

I have owned a couple of 1.9TDI's (Leon and A3) so I know the engines are solid...

But I am also a 'petrol head' so the 2.5 appeals to be more. I run a 350Z as my daily runner, so I am a little concerned that a 1.9 won't give me enough power for a van. (Although, what do I need the power for?)

Saying that, the 2.5 is going to be LOADS heavier than the 1.9 ...

Is there a 1.9 vs 2.5 thread anywhere? :*

Cheers peeps!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Trying to find a 1.9 vs 2.5 thread...

I have owned a couple of 1.9TDI's (Leon and A3) so I know the engines are solid...

But I am also a 'petrol head' so the 2.5 appeals to be more. I run a 350Z as my daily runner, so I am a little concerned that a 1.9 won't give me enough power for a van. (Although, what do I need the power for?)

Saying that, the 2.5 is going to be LOADS heavier than the 1.9 ...

Is there a 1.9 vs 2.5 thread anywhere? :*

Cheers peeps!
IF we are talking of T4's, Then 1.9 isn't really that engine mate, it's a non Direct Injection engine, all mechanical, mechanical fuel pump and no ECU.
But it's a lot more simple and cheaper to service.

I went for the 2.5TDi as seems the best power/economy, cruises lovely at 70/80 and has enough power to get you out of trouble if you need to over take. It's also more fuel efficient at 70 than the 1.9 I understand?.
But I bought my van to use as a daily and take across europe.

If you want VW cruise control then the 2.5TDi is your only option with the diesel units.

If you want to do an engine conversion later on, such as the popular 1.9TDi that you are familiar with buy either a 1.9d/td or a 2.4 or a 2.5TDI
If you want more power from a 2.5TDi, fit an intercooler to non intercooler model and a remap should see around 130bhp,
for more do the PP Tuning upgrade (injectors, remap etc).

T5's I have no idea :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
What he said

I remember being very confused but in short, common diesel variants are 1.9 and 2.4 or 1.9 TD or 2.5 TDI

Often see people stick an i on the 1.9's even when they are not one of the rare 1.9tdi conversions.

I like the idea of the potential power from the 2.5

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I like the 2.5tdi (102). Loads of grunt and cruises at 80 no problems... T: Dearer to service mind.

Given the weight of the van/bus, I don't think the extra weight of the engine will be much of an issue I:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
if you go for a 2.5tdi think about what kind of driving you do
the 88 is better round town
the 102 is better for motorways as the gearing is higher T:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for all the info peeps!

Well, the van will not be used as a 'daily driver', only on long drives for camping :ILU:

I was SURE I wanted the 1.9 ... but I am thinking that I now want the 2.5.
I want CC and air con, plus the idea of being able to alter the intercooler and remap for more grunt appeals to me.

Started this research being SURE I wanted a LWB 1.9 ... not it looks like I actually want a 2.5TDI 102 SWB (If you can get that in a SWB!) LOL:

Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts