VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just read through a boatload of posts referring to the failure of the woodruff key on the crank sprocket. All the ones i've seen seem to be on the 1.9td engine
Does the same problem exist on the 1X engine ? (1.9 non turbo) as looking at the pictures they seem to have the same layout but i haven't seen any posts about the sprocket failing on a 1X

Put simply, is 1.9td basically just a 1X with a turbo on it

Is it possible to replace the stretch bolt with the cambelt in situ or is there a possibilty of the sprocket coming off whilst doing it?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
If your crank sprocket/harmonic damper isn't wobbling about like a jelly with the engine running i wouldn't worry about it bud, just do it next cambelt change. TD's are the same design as the D but obviously the crank is under more strain and is more likely to give problems. There is no point replacing the bolt alone without at least removing the sprocket to check it for damage anyway, hope this helps T:T:T:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnaks, the only reason i ask is that i'm having the belt replaced after they firked it up (probably seen it on my other thread)
I'm hoping thet they're going to replace the belt by removing the aux belt pulley and slipping the new belt over the sprocket whilst leaving the crank pulley bolt well alone. I'm aware that the bolt is a stretch bolt single use jobby but i wouldn't trust them with a skateboard after what they've just done.
I'll replace the lot myself just in case when my wallet recovers
Right now there is no wobble at all in the pulleys so i think i'll be alright for a bit

They're gettin a phone call in the morning anyway and if they touch that bolt without replacing it i'm gonna be well pi$$ed

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
There is no reason for them to touch it bud unless you specify you need it removing for inspection however they will more than likely use it to manually rotate the engine to TDC. IMO i would invest in the manual and locking tools, they are not too expensive to buy and the job is fiddly but not too hard to do. I can do a full cambelt change in less than 2 hours from start to finish including a replacement crank sprocket and bolt T:T:T:T:T:

Watch out for the cowboys mate, thats what caused my van to become a full tdi conversion, i learned the hard way too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reckon i'm going to go down the tdi route too. I had the 1Z engine in my audi 80 so i'm familiar with it and in my opinion its one of the best engines around. I'm going to look round for a suitable donor but i'd rather do it in my own time so that i can recon the engine before fitting rather than have my hand forced by my 1X packing in. Thats why i'm trying to minimize the risk of it breaking by trying to replace as many known weak parts as i can.T:

Also looking at the timing belt tools, it seems that they fit both engines so i might as well get some bought

1 - 6 of 6 Posts